• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Suggestions for handling volume control in a PC-controlled 2.1 system

billybuck

My setup has gradually migrated more control “in the box” (an ASUS Mini-PC) to the point where I’m considering replacing my old and unnecessarily complex Denon receiver with a basic stereo amplifier with a digital input. That’s basically all the Denon is doing lately - it sits on one input and uses 2.1 of its 7.2 channels. All switching/routing of input sources is currently handled by the PC, and EQ APO provides DRC. The mini-PC also has two separate DAC circuits available if I want to use EQ APO as a crossover for the subwoofer.

Question is, how do I achieve volume control via IR remote? I know there are IR dongles for PC, but that would mean leaving the stereo amp and sub at max volume, which is likely to be noisy. Alternately, if the amp handles volume, then it would also need to provide crossover duties for the sub. I’d prefer letting EQ APO do that, as it allows me to automate things like switching the sub off for some sources, changing the crossover point remotely, etc.

Any thoughts? This impulse to simplify is getting too damned complicated.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Depending on your system and setup, the Microsoft Surface Dial might work.

OP
billybuck

billybuck

Was exploring similar options, but any method that controls volume on the PC means the amp and sub have to be left at (potentially noisy) high volume.

It just occurred to me that this must be an issue with powered-speaker systems, too.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Was exploring similar options, but any method that controls volume on the PC means the amp and sub have to be left at (potentially noisy) high volume.

It just occurred to me that this must be an issue with powered-speaker systems, too.
My PC is connected to DACs which connect to power amps. In one case, the RC controls the DAC and in the other it controls the PC app (Jriver). In both, the amps are wide open all the time.

OP
billybuck

billybuck

Thanks, Kal, I guess that’s the way to go (and, probably, modern class D amps aren’t as noisy at idle as the older tech I’m accustomed to).

I’ll probably use something like this, mapped to the DAC volumes of main and sub, so I can use a traditional universal TV remote:

Inteset IReTV USB IR Receiver https://a.co/d/2aanh8q

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You are treating your amp as a Power Amp - they're always full on, by design.
Just be sure that your volume is turned down before you pass a signal through... starting up with everything in the chain at full volume can be properly noisy, and expensive.

OP
billybuck

billybuck

Oh, right - thanks for the reminder. The powered monitors on my recording system loudly attest to that fact every time Windows restarts itself to apply updates.

OnLyTNT

There are small wireless multimedia keyboard controllers with touch pad. That's an option

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Does it have to be wireless?

I got sick of fiddling around with my HTPC logitech lit up keyboard when just wanting to adjust the volume and just bought a USB volume control for about $15. Works perfectly, comes with about a 10ft braided cord.

It has volume, push to mute and push/rotate to skip tracks back/fwd.

1676877709835.png

OP
billybuck

billybuck

The goal is to control it like a standard receiver setup, so likely a universal remote sending IR to a dongle on the mini-pc. This would handle input switching and volume control. Audio output will be two digital outs, one to amp and one to sub, with crossover handled by EQ APO.

As Jeremy notes, this would require amp and sub to be run wide open, so I’m thinking about methods for the mini-PC to simulate a soft start to avoid power-on pops. Maybe sending mute and power off to amp via IR on shutdown so that subsequent power ups are in a muted state.

Top Bottom