• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Suggestions for front ported monitors for computer desk?

sejarzo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I am mostly a headphone listener, but (obviously?) there are times I don't want to be limited by the cord of any cans, nor the isolation of my IEMs when working at the computer.

I owned a few different "computer speakers" over the years from "real audio firms" (Yamaha, Boston Acoustics) and considered them generally quite crummy. I picked up a pair of Mackie CR3s on sale a few years ago when the BAs crapped out, and while they are much better for casual listening to music or dialogue on YouTube, they are not the last word in clarity. The electronics are all in one monitor, which includes a switch to set that as left or right...and mine suffered from failure of that switch, a common problem. It was fairly simple to remove the rear panel and solder in a couple of jumpers to bypass it so they are still usable.

But for me, the biggest issue is the rear port. My home workstation is fixed against a wall only 14 inches or so from the rear of the speakers. I cut a couple of pieces of 1" foam pipe insulation to partially plug them to tame the bass to some degree. In any case, it seems that a front ported monitor might be a better choice.

Two new ones that just happen to be priced at $149 as is the JBL 305P are the RCF Ayra Pro5 and the Fluid Audio FX50.

Like the JBL, both use DSP crossovers (at least that's what the manufacturers imply.) The Ayra Pro5 is said to use DSP to attain 0° phase response in a driver arrangement like the JBL and a similarly sized cabinet, while the FX50 is a coaxial driver design in a smaller cabinet.

https://www.rcf.it/en_US/products/product-detail/ayra-pro5/1022568

https://www.fluidaudio.com/products/fader-series/fx50.html

Both seem to be so new that they are hard to find in stock anywhere versus the JBLs, which seem to be available at any local Guitar Center (the white 305Ps are even on sale there right now for $129 each!)

Any other suggestions for a front ported monitor in the 4-5" woofer range? Thanks!

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So, it's a misconception that front ported speakers better for being close to a wall. The only time it's really an issue is if the port is right against a wall, but usually 3-5 inches is enough distance for bookshelf speakers.

In fact, I tend to think that, properly equalized, placement near a wall is better. See this video from Genelec, which advocates for placement almost all the way against a wall despite a rear port:

Many monitors include a bass trim for placement close to a rear wall, or you can manually apply the EQ on your PC.

So don't eliminate rear-ported speakers.

Anyway, we need to know your budget to make meaningful recommendations. But you can also do a search as we've discussed similar topics before. How loud do you tend to listen?

Severian

Forum Donor
The Kali Audio LP-6 is front-ported and has a fairly extensive dip switch system for modifying EQ to suit various placements. I've not heard them, but opinion around here seems to be favorable.

OP
sejarzo

sejarzo

Forum Donor
Thanks. Much of what I saw in my search had to do with an optimal setup for critical listening rather than dealing with a very suboptimal setting.

I agree with what Genelec is suggesting, but in my case, the monitors must sit on a 22" deep desk, not on stands (other than isolation pads) with a wide wall cabinet only about 24" above them. The left monitor is close to a corner, but the area to the right of the right monitor is open for 10+ feet. Such are the problems with a man cave/home office in a basement, I guess. Throw in some visual problems that force me to sit closer than the average user to my computer monitor...that's why I always use headphones for critical listening.

Believe me, I know that a front ported speaker won't fix all the problems, I just want to try and get rid of some of the mud, so to speak.

Still thinking about budget. $400-500 for the pair, perhaps.

OP
sejarzo

sejarzo

Forum Donor
The Kali Audio LP-6 is front-ported and has a fairly extensive dip switch system for modifying EQ to suit various placements. I've not heard them, but opinion around here seems to be favorable.

Thanks, unfortunately those are simply too large for my desk/setting.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd be more concerned with hiss, than where the port is.

OP
sejarzo

sejarzo

Forum Donor
I'd be more concerned with hiss, than where the port is.

Perhaps it's just where the bass is artificially boosted on the CR3 that prompted my thoughts. I used an inexpensive measurement mic with REW and found that my pipe insulation partial plug took out about 3-4 dB of the false 70-100 Hz bass that annoyed me so much.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Perhaps it's just where the bass is artificially boosted on the CR3 that prompted my thoughts. I used an inexpensive measurement mic with REW and found that my pipe insulation partial plug took out about 3-4 dB of the false 70-100 Hz bass that annoyed me so much.
Could be, or it could be the position you are forced to use them in, either way EQ makes.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Genelec is telling you the truth. Basically if you have a surface area around the rear larger than the port it will work okay close to the wall. And yes the mud may just be your speaker.

Not familiar with your present speaker. If the port is round you can try stuffing straws into it. Just get a bundle that fits snuggly, wrap some tape around the outer part to hold it together and slide into the port. This resistively damps the port without choking it off altogether. You can get more damping if you use those skinny coffe straws instead of the larger regular ones.

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks. Much of what I saw in my search had to do with an optimal setup for critical listening rather than dealing with a very suboptimal setting.

I agree with what Genelec is suggesting, but in my case, the monitors must sit on a 22" deep desk, not on stands (other than isolation pads) with a wide wall cabinet only about 24" above them. The left monitor is close to a corner, but the area to the right of the right monitor is open for 10+ feet. Such are the problems with a man cave/home office in a basement, I guess. Throw in some visual problems that force me to sit closer than the average user to my computer monitor...that's why I always use headphones for critical listening.

Believe me, I know that a front ported speaker won't fix all the problems, I just want to try and get rid of some of the mud, so to speak.

Still thinking about budget. $400-500 for the pair, perhaps.
Genelec is telling you the truth. Basically if you have a surface area around the rear larger than the port it will work okay close to the wall. And yes the mud may just be your speaker.

Not familiar with your present speaker. If the port is round you can try stuffing straws into it. Just get a bundle that fits snuggly, wrap some tape around the outer part to hold it together and slide into the port. This resistively damps the port without choking it off altogether. You can get more damping if you use those skinny coffe straws instead of the larger regular ones.

Yeah, I don't mean to be pushy, but having a front port or not makes almost no difference to the sound at all, even if it's just a few inches from the wall. A front-ported speaker doesn't inherently sound any less muddy than a rear ported speaker. In fact, I actually used to have a very similar set up to yours, asymmetrical with the sidewalls, near a corner on one side, with a big tilted TV above the speakers, except I had my speakers about 4 inches from the back. My current setup desktop and piano setup are also right against the wall.

I've gone through a myriad of both front and rear ported speakers; the only thing that affected the bass level was the response of the speakers themselves and any EQ I applied.

Blumleins suggestions about plugging the port is also a good one - in many cases it not only reduces the bass level, but improves the tonal balance when near a wall too.

Putter

Forum Donor
The Fluance Ai40 and Ai60 Powered Bookshelf Speakers might fit the bill. Both are acoustic suspension which is better in a desktop monitor. The Ai40 with a 5 inch woofer is likely the better fit, but lacks a sub out which may be an issue.

pk500

The general rule of thumb for distance for rear ports from walls is a minimum of 1.5 to two times the diameter of the port. Is the diameter of the rear port 3 inches? You should be OK with a minimum of 4.5 to 6 inches of clearance from the port to the wall. The more, the merrier, but that should work, especially in a smaller room in which you're not blasting the volume. It's not as ideal as no limitations in speaker placement, but you should be OK.

Another tip for a solid computer desk speaker with front ports: The Edifier line. I just bought a pair of Edifier R1280T for $100 at Amazon, and the sound is quite good. It's a powered speaker, with built-in amps. No Bluetooth, but the Edifier R1280DB includes Bluetooth for $120. The next step up in the Edifier line, the R1700DB, also includes Bluetooth and supposedly better sound for $150 per pair. All of those Edifier models include remotes and onboard controls for volume, treble and bass, so you can tune your sound.

Good reviews throughout the Net for the Edifier. Many sites, forums, Reddit and reviewers call either the Edifier R1280T or the Micca PB42X the best powered desktop speakers for $110 or less. But the Micca's are rear-ported.

Check the Edifier line at www.edifier.com. And check the YouTube channel Digital Stereophony, for some very detailed comparisons of Edifier models among themselves and to other powered speaker brands. The dude who runs that channel does a great job of placing the speakers in a controlled environment with good recording devices and meshes the songs perfectly so you can hear identical sections of tracks in a variety of genres on both speakers.

Listening to the Edifier R1280T on that channel sold me. I thought it sounded better than many more expensive models.

Good luck!

pk500

The Fluance Ai40 and Ai60 Powered Bookshelf Speakers might fit the bill. Both are acoustic suspension which is better in a desktop monitor. The Ai40 with a 5 inch woofer is likely the better fit, but lacks a sub out which may be an issue.

Just realize there have been many reports of a very audible hum or hiss with the Fluances when plugged in but not in use. That's common with some powered speakers, but some reviews and users report the Fluances are especially noisy at rest.

Buying a ground loop noise isolator from Amazon for $9 should solve that problem. But it's something about which you should be aware. https://www.amazon.com/Mpow-Ground-...ds=ground+loop+isolator&qid=1579072178&sr=8-3

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Has anyone compared the Edifier R1700BT to the Adam A7?

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just realize there have been many reports of a very audible hum or hiss with the Fluances when plugged in but not in use. That's common with some powered speakers, but some reviews and users report the Fluances are especially noisy at rest.

Buying a ground loop noise isolator from Amazon for $9 should solve that problem. But it's something about which you should be aware. https://www.amazon.com/Mpow-Ground-...ds=ground+loop+isolator&qid=1579072178&sr=8-3

I've had the Ai60 for some time and can confirm the hiss is audible but not really with music. I've not measured them yet though.

They reach very low because of DSP but there's definitely some noticeable dynamic compression going on. However, this isn't too bad in a desktop setting.

pk500

I've had the Ai60 for some time and can confirm the hiss is audible but not really with music. I've not measured them yet though.

They reach very low because of DSP but there's definitely some noticeable dynamic compression going on. However, this isn't too bad in a desktop setting.

Have you tried a ground loop noise isolator dongle to suppress the hiss?

My Edifier R1280T's aren't in the same fidelity class as the Fluances, but they are silent when not in use and still powered up. Not a peep, pop, boo or hiss.

pk500

Has anyone compared the Edifier R1700BT to the Adam A7?

Not really an apples-to-apples comparison, mate. The Edifier R1700BT costs $150 per pair; the Adam A7X -- the successor to the A7 -- costs $750 per speaker, with both prices found tonight on Amazon.

maxxevv

Major Contributor

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not really an apples-to-apples comparison, mate. The Edifier R1700BT costs $150 per pair; the Adam A7X -- the successor to the A7 -- costs $750 per speaker, with both prices found tonight on Amazon.

I know, that's why I asked. It is often stated on this forum that SQ is poorly correlated with price ...

Top Bottom