• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Suggestions for first Mid-Fi listening system?

OP
Bling Guy McSqueezy
Glad you are enjoying the 6xx! I purchased mine last year and really enjoy them.

There are lots of very well-measuring pieces of equipment out there at this price point depending on your priorities. Do you want a dac/amp combo, or a stack? Do you want particular connections, balanced inputs/headphone outputs? A remote and the ability to change output source so you can later run powered speakers from it?

If you want a very basic set of connections/functions, you could get a JDS atom+ dac/Amp stack for $210, and then use the extra money to buy a pair of Hifiman he400se (these are the other headphones I bought last year, and they are very different from the 6xx and which one I prefer depends on my mood/music choice that day.)

If you want something that looks nicer/is more robust re build (metal case and nice big knob) from JDS, you can get the Element II for $400. If you do, they will custom engrave it for you for free, which can look very cool and which I only realized too late! See

On a very different end, there is the Topping DX3 Pro+ which is a combo dac/amp with a remote, bluetooth, but only a 3.5mm jack (won't affect sound, and the 6xx has both it and a 6.35mm adapter - the latter is more robust and more standard for larger headphones, while 3.5 is more often used with iem's) - total =$199

Amir has said that all of the above have no trouble with the HD650 (which is the same as 6xx) and his reviews tend to mention these headphones as he usually uses them to test headphone amplifiers. You can see reviews of these and other recommended equipment on this site using the review index. Click 'Review index->electronics and set your search/price parameters, etc.
you are the best person ever sir. thanks a lot for your time and efforts. greetings from Israel!

luft262

If you want good sound on a budget just get some Andrew Jones ELAC standmount speakers and pair them with a JDS Atom DAC and the best AMP you can afford based on the reviews. Get a cheap sub to add to the mix and your music will sound very good and cost very little. Skip the vinyl and just plug your phone or laptop into the DAC and get a lossless audio streaming subscription such as Qobuz, Amazon HD Music, or Tidal.

Done...

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Gear that was good, particularly speakers, 20 years ago is, if cared properly, good gear today. I was lucky enough to be able to buy an a set of 11.2 speakers from three different sources in the span of four mounths for a total of a 1000€. The whole set is made of 4 IQ1´s, 2 IQ3, 2 IQ7, 2 IQ8ds and 2 PSW 2500.

I haven´t been able to set the height channels due to lack of electronics to drive them, but to power the the 7.2 system I use another second hand Denon AVH 2808. It was another 100 €. Chances are this year I´ll invest a bit on a good amplification, next will be a good processor. Speakers, for another time, the current ones I have work well.

The second hand market is full of outstanding gear that will serve you well.

Loathecliff

You want real advice but still use a stupid term like "mid-fi"? Seriously?
Stupid? Mid-fi is the perfect term for Linn. Or any HiFi outfit that elevates itself using dubious marketing.

Bling Guy, you could go the judicious secondhand route?
Also general auctions (In Israel?) with house clearance goods can be a good source of top equipment for peanuts.
Warning, it can become addictive.
I blame my addiction on a Thorens TD160 within a box of bits bought for £2 thirty plus years ago :facepalm:

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor
Let’s give the new guy a break here. Either offer constructive assistance or move along. Please and thank you.

Top Bottom