• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Suggestions for DSP options - which components?

dweeeeb2

Hi guys, I’m after some suggestions for DSP on a 2.0 system. 2 scenarios
1: Use laptop to stream to DAC
2: Use optical out or usb out of tv to DAC for movies.

What are people using? MiniDSP? Any suggestions, or things to avoid?
cheers

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
MiniDSP should do it fine - various hardware options depending on what inputs and outputs you need. If you want to get a bit more hands on see:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...lladsp-set-up-instructions-for-newbies.30830/
This is one of a great many possible variations using CamillaDSP covered in various other threads. It's probably possible to do similar things with other software based DSP options:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ows-linux-macos-ios-ipados-and-android.18450/
There's also the HifiBerry DAC+DSP if you're ok programming the DSP in SigmaStudio. IIRC once programmed it could operate independently of a Pi.

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Want to suggest to test absolutely for free foobar2000 incombination with Mathaudio Room EQ (it's APO an REW in one solution for dummies Yes that simple to use) . Got great results you only have to buy a measuring mic. Runs on Windows an MacOS. Besides the measuring mic virtual NO cost. Compareble with Dirac, Lyngdorf an others.

Last edited:
OP
dweeeeb2

dweeeeb2

MiniDSP should do it fine - various hardware options depending on what inputs and outputs you need. If you want to get a bit more hands on see:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...lladsp-set-up-instructions-for-newbies.30830/
This is one of a great many possible variations using CamillaDSP covered in various other threads. It's probably possible to do similar things with other software based DSP options:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ows-linux-macos-ios-ipados-and-android.18450/
There's also the HifiBerry DAC+DSP if you're ok programming the DSP in SigmaStudio. IIRC once programmed it could operate independently of a Pi.
Thankyou for the great info, bit of work went into that.
Without any idea of what your budget is, I'd recommend: miniDSP Flex + Dirac License
From the posts here it sounds like my only turn key option.
Want to suggest to test absolutely for free foobar2000 incombination with Mathaudio Room EQ (it's APO an REW in one solution for dummies Yes that simple to use) . Got great results you only have to buy a measuring mic. Runs on Windows an MacOS. Besides the measuring mic virtual NO cost. Compareble with Dirac, Lyngdorf an others.
thanks, i’ll have a look as well.

Software options are great for using my laptop to stream music but how do I use it for movies? Do I stream the movies through the laptop?

I’ve only found miniDSP to accommodate movie EQ - ie process a digital input. Which is great but I’m surprised its the only one on the market. I guess AVR is an option.

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thankyou for the great info, bit of work went into that.

From the posts here it sounds like my only turn key option.

thanks, i’ll have a look as well.

Software options are great for using my laptop to stream music but how do I use it for movies? Do I stream the movies through the laptop?

I’ve only found miniDSP to accommodate movie EQ - ie process a digital input. Which is great but I’m surprised its the only one on the market. I guess AVR is an option.
Streaming for instance movies using Mathaudio you have to use/buy the systemwide solution with any mediaplayer. Cost around 100,- usd. In Windows you have to add a key in your regedit tree.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
See my first link for an example - optical input and output with software DSP ion the middle. The potential issue is the delay to the audio introduced by the DSP, and whether your video source or TV has sync adjustment.

OP
dweeeeb2

dweeeeb2

See my first link for an example - optical input and output with software DSP ion the middle. The potential issue is the delay to the audio introduced by the DSP, and whether your video source or TV has sync adjustment.
I don't think I'm up for building anything at the moment, looking more for a turn key option. Thanks for your suggestions though.

Freeform

Snarfie said:
+1 for Mathaudio component for foobar2000. Free, simple and effective. I initially tried it with my laptop PC's built in microphone - probably quite accurate at lower frequencies where room EQ is most effective, only later once the trial proved positive did I buy a usb measurement mic.
The only disadvantages are the need to run foobar (I do anyway) and, if you are using foobar, not in upnp server mode, to more than one room (at least, I don't see how that would work) and it only benefit material handled by foobar (not TV, a CD player or any other source.

Last edited:

Weeb Labs

Addicted to Fun and Learning
For a low cost solution with few disadvantages beyond complexity of configuration, I would recommend a Tinysine TSA1701 or a HiFiBerry DAC+ DSP. Both are based upon the ADAU1701 but the latter offers onboard SPDIF I/O.

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
+1 for Mathaudio component for foobar2000. Free, simple and effective. I initially tried it with my laptop PC's built in microphone - probably quite accurate at lower frequencies where room EQ is most effective, only later once the trial proved positive did I buy a usb measurement mic.
The only disadvantages are the need to run foobar (I do anyway) and, if you are using foobar, not in upnp server mode, to more than one room (at least, I don't see how that would work) and it only benefit material handled by foobar (not TV, a CD player or any other source.
With the system wide solution you can use any mediaplayer. If i want the sound corrected for TV i run a tv mediaplayer like Ziggo Go ( here in Holland) on my laptop with Mathaudio Room EQ but than system wide. An Yes analog sources like a analog cd player output don't work however i did rip al of my cd's. Don't know if a digital out put of a cd player that could stream to a laptop over come that problem.

Mathaudio Room EQ system wide solution for Windows 10 using APO

Attachments

• IMG_20230510_124507.jpg
    IMG_20230510_124507.jpg
    237.2 KB · Views: 37

Freeform

With the system wide solution you can use any mediaplayer. If i want the sound corrected for TV i run a tv mediaplayer like Ziggo Go ( here in Holland) on my laptop with Mathaudio Room EQ but than system wide. An Yes analog sources like a analog cd player output don't work however i did rip al of my cd's. Don't know if a digital out put of a cd player that could stream to a laptop over come that problem.

Mathaudio Room EQ system wide solution for Windows 10 using APO
Thanks. Is that the not the foobar component but the licensed full version?

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks. Is that the not the foobar component but the licensed full version?
Not so full version. The System wide solution it's the same regarding functionality as the free Foobar add inn but now you have to buy a licence key (around 100,- usd/euro's) that has to put in you regedit (Windows solution). i use both because of the gain difference (Mathaudio needs more gain when correction is applied) if i only use the foobar free solution. If i use both there is no gain difference between Foobar an any other mediaplayer that can harm my speakers .

Last edited:
OP
dweeeeb2

dweeeeb2

I'm giving this a go:

Top Bottom