• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Suggestions for Dolby Atmos speakers?

zuli

Forum Donor
I would like to expand my HT setup from the current 5.2 to a 5.2.2 or 5.2.4.
My speakers are the Kef R series. My room is about 4m x 4m and has a sloping ceiling.
The first option are the overhead speakers. This will require a lot of work to the wall and the ceiling to get the cables to the right spots. Another big open point, is that I would need some sort of orientable speakers, due to the sloping ceiling.
The second option is to use up firing speakers, like for example the KEf R8a. This would be easy to setup. But I have read that this solution is not that good, also considering the sloping ceiling.
The third option would be to install speakers to the wall. I can position a speaker at any height, more or less in line with the current L/R/SL/SR.

Do you have suggestions?

IMG_0470 Small.jpeg
IMG_0469 Small.jpeg

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 19122

Me I'd do a couple upfires and call it a day and let room eq sort the ceiling out but I don't watch many movies that have an insane Atmos soundtrack,no superhero or block buster stuff.Depends on how bad you want that "Atmos bubble".I know that nagging "what if it could be better?" feeling that plagues a lot of audio enthusiasts just depends how far along the scale you are;)

I'd go on/in wall. The sloped ceiling complicates anything reflecting or in ceiling. Get something with adjustable directivity or surface mount units built at an angle. and mount in/on the wall.

fieldcar

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I think you'd be happy with these monolith THX satellites. You could pretty easily find some speaker brackets to extend these ceiling speakers above the window shade and doorway.

41288_02.jpg

41NHnasuAiL._AC_.jpg

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The ceiling is pretty bad for Atmos no matter which way you go. I would put them as high up on the wall as possible, it does seem like the room is narrow enough that you'll get a fairly steep angle relative to the seats that way anyways.

If you do in-ceiling they'd have to be hanging or something to even up the heights, unequal heights would not work very well.

JoachimStrobel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Check out the Dali Fazon Satellite in white. They look great, can be rotated and come with a great mounting foot.

OP
Z

zuli

Forum Donor
Thank you for your suggestions!

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is where I would start.

lewdish

I'd like to know how companies objectivize top firing speakers since the goal is to use its first reflection as the on axis, and the sound changes depending on ceiling height and angle. I wonder how it could be measured as well. The ideal response for them wouldnt be flat like the main surround channels would it?

O Akroatís

Reviving this old thread.
Is it important or even necessary that Dolby Atmos speakers, D. Atmos must be certified?
I can see white Elac's Debut 2.0 DA42 (D. Atmos certified) being placed front high as I don't think they can be upside down on the ceiling but I can also see aesthetics in the Gallo Acoustics Droplet A'Diva SE (not Atmos certified) speakers.

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
Reviving this old thread.
Is it important or even necessary that Dolby Atmos speakers, D. Atmos must be certified?
I can see white Elac's Debut 2.0 DA42 (D. Atmos certified) being placed front high as I don't think they can be upside down on the ceiling but I can also see aesthetics in the Gallo Acoustics Droplet A'Diva SE (not Atmos certified) speakers.
⁶Certification is meaningless.

Top Bottom