• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Suggestions for closed back headphones?

OP
MrC

MrC

I had Oppo PM-3s for a while and they were great. Now I upgraded them to the new Focal Elegia and they are simply superb!

Thanks for the input but both are a little over what I want to spend at this moment.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
^ in my opinion yes you can. I use HD600 as a 'reference' headphone I am comparing others against to. HD650 is not that far off, right... :)

(I have owned the HD650, HD700 and HD800 and still like the HD600 best. However, the new Massdrop HD-58X Jubilee comes VERY close. Maybe even stretches to the top...)

Are the HD600, HD650 etc. leeking sound or are they suitable for office listening?

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
Are the HD600, HD650 etc. leeking sound or are they suitable for office listening?

The HD650s are very leaky, so I imagine the HD600s are the same. They are completely open backed so there's no noise sealing at all and anyone nearby in the same room as you can hear a really annoying thin tinny sound of whatever you're listening to.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The HD650s are very leaky, so I imagine the HD600s are the same. They are completely open backed so there's no noise sealing at all and anyone nearby in the same room as you can hear a really annoying thin tinny sound of whatever you're listening to.

So, is there any alternative for FLAT sounding, but CLOSED BACK headphones?
I can't install EqualizerAPO at the office (administrator restrictions) and can only EQ my 1more Triple Driver Over Ear when I listen to music in Foobar, but not in Firefox.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I have a passive filter that you could use.
It works on any (low impedance) amplifier with any source and is why I make those filters.
One can try if it is what one is looking for by testing with PEQ first.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a passive filter that you could use.
It works on any (low impedance) amplifier with any source and is why I make those filters.
One can try if it is what one is looking for by testing with PEQ first.
I use the 1more with an Audioengine D3 at the moment.

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
OP, your question makes me sad that Sennheiser discontinued the HD380 Pro headphones because I think they could have been a good fit for you:
  • closed-back, angled, over-the-ear headphones
  • folding design makes them more portable than other large headphones
  • nice travel case included
They sound a tad warmer and more forward than the HD6-- series in a pleasant way that is not far off from the HD650. Fit is similar between all of those headphones as well. Out of all of my nicer headphones, the 380s see the most use.

I bought my set used in perfect condition on eBay for under $100 shipped. Perhaps you could still find some there.

Top Bottom