• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Suggestions for closed back headphones?

MrC

I was just wondering what closed back headphones you would suggest giving a try?

I would prefer them to be in the sub $300 range if possible, although the budget is not set in stone.

Until now I have really only used headphones for monitoring and mixing (except when I used to DJ) and my music listening has been done mainly on speakers.

However, as said in my recent newbie post, I am now forced to move over to headphones in the office, where I spend at least 8 hours a day, and these have to be closed back to avoid bleed.

I currently own 3 pairs of ATH-M40x (yes, I like these ;) with the angled pads), a pair of Sony MDR-V6, a pair of Denon AH-D350 (I think that is the model, the cable broke on me a few years ago and they are in storage somewhere awaiting repair), a couple of pairs of Phillips (not sure of the models, also in boxes somewhere) and a few "cheapo" brands thrown in drawers. I have a couple of sets of DJ headphones from years ago that are just loud, but I have no idea where they are.

I have 6 or 7 sets of IEM's that I mainly use for playing bass/guitar or travelling. These are from brands like KZ, Sennheiser, Shure etc.

I am thinking about picking up a set of ATH-M60x to try as I have heard good things about them and that they are similar to the M40x in sound, although they are on-ear rather than over ear (which I haven't really ever used for any extended period of time).

These will be running from a Topping NX4 DSD for now, although I am thinking about picking up something else for my desk (maybe an NX3 pro, or somethig from JDS labs, depending on when I get to the US in the near future). Most of my listening is Spotify premium, although I have been ripping my CD's to FLAC to put on a HD and take to the office also.

What would you suggest giving a try?

As always, thanks in advance for any input.

Last edited:

fljoe

I have the Meze 99 Classics and it is a damn good closed back headphone right in your budget ($309 retail).

Reactions: MrC
OP
MrC

MrC

Sounds like new headphones is the last thing you need. What's wrong with those you currently have?

Wheres the fun in that?? :D

Nothing wrong with the ones I have, well, the ATH and the Sony at least, I just felt like trying something a little different seeing that I will be spending 8 hours a day with them (never had to do that before, except when working on music late at night).

Theres also nothing wrong with my cars, motorbike or basses, but it still doesn't stop GAS (is "GAS" a used term around here?).

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
AKG K550mkII for ~90 on harmanaudio . DMS, metal, DIYaudio have high regards for them. I own one pair. Very good.

kamel2500

I was just https://8ballpool.onl/ 8 Ball Pool Discord Omegle wondering what closed back headphones you would suggest giving a try?

I would prefer them to be in the sub $300 range if possible, although the budget is not set in stone.

Until now I have really only used headphones for monitoring and mixing (except when I used to DJ) and my music listening has been done mainly on speakers.

However, as said in my recent newbie post, I am now forced to move over to headphones in the office, where I spend at least 8 hours a day, and these have to be closed back to avoid bleed.

I currently own 3 pairs of ATH-M40x (yes, I like these ;) with the angled pads), a pair of Sony MDR-V6, a pair of Denon AH-D350 (I think that is the model, the cable broke on me a few years ago and they are in storage somewhere awaiting repair), a couple of pairs of Phillips (not sure of the models, also in boxes somewhere) and a few "cheapo" brands thrown in drawers. I have a couple of sets of DJ headphones from years ago that are just loud, but I have no idea where they are.

I have 6 or 7 sets of IEM's that I mainly use for playing bass/guitar or travelling. These are from brands like KZ, Sennheiser, Shure etc.

I am thinking about picking up a set of ATH-M60x to try as I have heard good things about them and that they are similar to the M40x in sound, although they are on-ear rather than over ear (which I haven't really ever used for any extended period of time).

These will be running from a Topping NX4 DSD for now, although I am thinking about picking up something else for my desk (maybe an NX3 pro, or somethig from JDS labs, depending on when I get to the US in the near future). Most of my listening is Spotify premium, although I have been ripping my CD's to FLAC to put on a HD and take to the office also.

What would you suggest giving a try?

As always, thanks in advance for any input.
Wheres the enjoyment in that?? :D

Nothing amiss with the ones I have, well, the ATH and the Sony at any rate, I just craved taking a stab at something a little unique seeing that I will go through 8 hours every day with them (never needed to do that, aside from when taking a shot at music late around evening time).

Theres additionally nothing amiss with my vehicles, motorbike or basses, yet despite everything it doesn't stop GAS (will be "GAS" an utilized term around here?).

Last edited:

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Audio Technica ATH-MSR7 is an excellent closed back headphone and can be picked up pretty cheaply now. I have a pair as my commuting and travelling headphones and am very happy with them.

soundwave76

Forum Donor
I had Oppo PM-3s for a while and they were great. Now I upgraded them to the new Focal Elegia and they are simply superb!

Veri

Master Contributor
I had Oppo PM-3s for a while and they were great. Now I upgraded them to the new Focal Elegia and they are simply superb!
Wondering about the Elegia, many reviewers say they are "relaxing" to listen to, can I take that as a HD650 sort of listening experience? :)

soundwave76

Forum Donor
^ in my opinion yes you can. I use HD600 as a 'reference' headphone I am comparing others against to. HD650 is not that far off, right... :)

(I have owned the HD650, HD700 and HD800 and still like the HD600 best. However, the new Massdrop HD-58X Jubilee comes VERY close. Maybe even stretches to the top...)

Veri

Master Contributor
^ in my opinion yes you can. I use HD600 as a 'reference' headphone I am comparing others against to. HD650 is not that far off, right... :)

(I have owned the HD650, HD700 and HD800 and still like the HD600 best. However, the new Massdrop HD-58X Jubilee comes VERY close. Maybe even stretches to the top...)
So is the Elegia more "laid-back" sounding than your HD600 reference? :)

soundwave76

Forum Donor
No, I wouldn’t characterise it like that. Dynamic and sounds quite open even though it’s a closed headphone. You have to try it. There’s no other way :)

OP
MrC

MrC

You want something comfortable then, which the VISO HP50, to most people, are not.
Look into Brainwavz HM5/NVX XPT100 (same headphones) and Beyerdynamic DT 770.

Thanks for the advice.

I am looking at probably picking up the Custom Studio which are supposed to be based on the DT770. Not many reviews around on them though (plent of reviews on the One Pro but not on the Studio).

OP
MrC

MrC

AKG K550mkII for ~90 on harmanaudio . DMS, metal, DIYaudio have high regards for them. I own one pair. Very good.

Thanks for the input. The K550 MkII are 180€ on Amazon (over 200$), are they worth that price also?

gvl

Major Contributor
I've enjoyed the NAD HP50. $179 on Amazon.

+1. My daily phones at work. Comfort and fit can be an issue, I have to fiddle often to ensure a good seal, but they sound great.

OP
MrC

MrC

The Audio Technica ATH-MSR7 is an excellent closed back headphone and can be picked up pretty cheaply now. I have a pair as my commuting and travelling headphones and am very happy with them.

Yes, I am leaning towards these or the Custom Studio's, maybe both...

Top Bottom