• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Suggestions for a strong performing "full size" (i.e. not Desktop) DAC?

JKJ

I'm starting to look for a replacement for my existing DAC. I'm not going to say which one it is, but let's just say it's from a brand that's not a favorite with this forum. Aside from possibly audible sonic issues, the unit is having trouble with its front display blanking out, and it's never been particularly robust in terms of always responding to inputs and such. From what I can gather, technical support for it will be ending soon too, so now might be a good time to finally make a move.

With the understanding that almost anything I get based on recommendations from this group is likely to measure far better, I do have one requirement that's rather more aesthetic: It needs to live on a rack/stand with the rest of my gear and look like it's a "full size" audio device. In other words, the very small desktop/headphone DACs that have been frequently reviewed here will just look wrong in my setup. I know that's a fairly vain requirement, but there it is. A half-rack width unit would be ok, but nothing smaller than that.

I think most of the current DACs supply my other connectivity needs (SPDIF/Coax, optical, USB, AES). I have a separate standalone streaming device, and have a few older analog devices that mandate having a separate analog preamp too, so this will truly be just a DAC. If it has other functionality, fine (my current one does too); I'm not going to exclude something due to having too many features.

Budget is a secondary concern. I don't want to spend Mola Mola money of course, but it's abundantly clear that there's no need to. I'm thinking of things like the Okto Stereo (if they were taking orders), Holo May, or Matrix X-Sabre Pro. Is there any compelling reason to pick one device in this class over the others once you reach this end of the SINAD charts and general functionality? I don't see SINAD as the be-all, end-all metric, of course, but most of the devices that do well here also seem to have things like linearity and jitter and multitone down too.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Helicopter

Major Contributor
If I were shopping for a 17" DAC, I would get myself a miniDSP SHD, but mostly for the equalization and Dirac. For a simple DAC, Okto stereo seems like a good choice. Really high SINAD, like above 115 dB or so, of course should sound the same. The benefit of a device that has it is demonstrated engineering competence. Pride of ownership too.

Headchef

If you can get your hands on an Aune S8 I’d strongly recommend demoing one I have one here that I’m evaluating and there’s very little to suggest that it won’t become a permanent addition, that said I do have a friend threatening me with a Chord cutest but that wouldn’t serve your connectivity needs

OP
J

JKJ

The MiniDSP is an interesting option. I don't have room correction in this setup, and it's a large, open, irregular space. I don't have subs in this room, but if I did in the future there might be a way for the SHD to properly cross them over. I say maybe because of the need for the separate analog preamp in the system.

I'll have to read more about the Aune. That's a brand that hasn't been on my radar before. Looks like it uses a 9038 chip, so that bodes well for capability. Chord I'm less enamored with as a brand, and even the big Dave DAC is pretty tiny (assuming one can get past the odd look of it).

Top Bottom