• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Suggestions 5 inch monitors

OP
Biblob

Biblob

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have done some measurements of my room, and I have made some pictures with my phone. Please don't mind the mess, I don't come there often :D

The size is as follows: 4,5 meters x 2,80 m, the ceiling starts narrowing from 90 cm, all the way to the top, which Is around 3,5-4 meters.
The desk is 0,65 m x 1,3 m.

Now, my question to you guys is. What would be the best thing for listening to music, with my limited budget?
Would I do best to buy active monitors, like the JBL, and place them near-field? And if so, what would be the best set-up? I assume switching the bed and desk, and placing the desk at 1/3 the length of the room while facing the speakers towards the length of the room.

Let me know what you all think! :)

1.jpg
2.jpg

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting space acoustically. You definitely won't have any flutter delay :) How does it sound in there? E.g. with voice, clapping etc.

TimW

Major Contributor
I can attest to the excellent sound quality for the price of the JBL LSR305 and especially the JBL LSR30X at $180 a pair her in the US. Love the sound of mine, have not heard better sound stage or imaging from anything close to this price. I just got some Fluance Ai40's and like them for their neutral yet relaxed sound and good bass extension. They are slightly smaller than the JBL's and are sealed so you don't have to worry about distance from the wall as much.

I would definitely go with monitors on the desk rather than floor standing speakers if I were you. You'll get better performance for the price because less goes into material and construction costs. I would also imagine that room would not easily accommodate large speakers.

You should check out this guys reviews http://noaudiophile.com/

OP
Biblob

Biblob

Interesting space acoustically. You definitely won't have any flutter delay :) How does it sound in there? E.g. with voice, clapping etc.

Uhm, how could I describe it? It sounds, rather dampened? If you could say this anyway, for a non-treated room.
But that is coming from a non-experienced audio-hobbifier :D

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Somewhat dampened is fine. But does it sound like a reasonably nice, natural acoustic in which voices and other everyday sounds are pleasant and familiar? :)

OP
Biblob

Biblob

I think it does, but I could'nt say that for sure. I haven't done exhaustive testing of this. Also, I'm not sure I am kwalified to draw any conclusions on this.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Q Acoustics 3020, $270 pair.

OP
Biblob

Biblob

After reading and thinking for a while. The DIY-route seems very interesting to me :).

I'm looking at this one to make: the Mini-Monitor Advanced, desgined by Bernd Timmermans.
It is found on this site, like many other kits designed by him and others.

http://www.lautsprechershop.de/index_kits_en.htm

He is the author of the German magazine Hobby Hi-Fi. Great read, with Google Translate ;).

Let me know what you guys think of this. I could make some photo's of the measurements of this speaker if you're interested.

Attachments

• Capture+_2018-10-19-17-13-39.png
    Capture+_2018-10-19-17-13-39.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 192
OP
Biblob

Biblob

Well.. I took a look at the secondhand market in my country, and looks like I can get a pair of JBL 305 for €200, including stands. This changes things. :p

Sorry for asking this noob question, but how could I connect the 305 the best way using a Topping D10? Because the only inputs available are XLR and TRS. Would using and adapter cable from RCA to TRS give problems? Or would it be adviceable to get a balanced dac instead and then use XLR?

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry for asking this noob question, but how could I connect the 305 the best way using a Topping D10? Because the only inputs available are XLR and TRS. Would using and adapter cable from RCA to TRS give problems? Or would it be adviceable to get a balanced dac instead and then use XLR?

Adapters will work but the level may be a little low so you'll probably have to turn up the gain on the 305s and that may make their amp's noise floor more audible.

TimW

Major Contributor
Well.. I took a look at the secondhand market in my country, and looks like I can get a pair of JBL 305 for €200, including stands. This changes things. :p

I have used RCA to XLR cables like this:
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p...zsIUYfvsemqJiroZZhNJRg0rsVvFxAQBoC9lIQAvD_BwE
I had no problems with levels being too low but it would depend on your source of course. I have heard RCA to 1/4" adapters like you mention will work just as well.

Top Bottom