• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Suggestion to change headphones or DAC

bac

Hello everyone,

I would like to ask you for an opinion. I have been reading the forum for a long time but I have only joined now. When I approached the world of headphone listening, based on my budget and Amir's reviews, I bought an SMSL SP200 and an SMSL SU-8 and a Sennheiser HD599. Over time I first changed the headphone to an HD660s and the amplifier to a Topping A90.
Over time I would like to buy a higher quality headphone but I don't understand if with my current system it is able to drive other headphones.
I would like to ask if:
- which is the best headset that can be driven with my system?
- would I have any improvements if I bought a d90se using it with my current headset? for economic reasons I have to purchase them on a deferred basis, about 6 months between one purchase and another.

Would the A90 + D90se combination be an endgame for a user who would like to listen to music for a couple of hours in the evening but at a good quality level?

A thousand thanks!

Last edited:

charleski

Major Contributor
I assume you're using a balanced connection between DAC and amp. If so, you're not going to notice any audible difference from upgrading the electronics, don't waste your money.

Switching to a different headphone will be noticeably different, but that doesn't necessarily mean it'll be better. This is very much a matter of taste, and you really need to try a headphone out for a couple of weeks listening to a wide range of music. The HD660s is already very good. If you want a change that you will actually hear I'd suggest using EQ in whatever serves up the digital stream to your DAC. Start with one of the pre-calculated EQs for the 660s then experiment and tweak it to your taste.

OP
B

bac

I assume you're using a balanced connection between DAC and amp. If so, you're not going to notice any audible difference from upgrading the electronics, don't waste your money.

Switching to a different headphone will be noticeably different, but that doesn't necessarily mean it'll be better. This is very much a matter of taste, and you really need to try a headphone out for a couple of weeks listening to a wide range of music. The HD660s is already very good. If you want a change that you will actually hear I'd suggest using EQ in whatever serves up the digital stream to your DAC. Start with one of the pre-calculated EQs for the 660s then experiment and tweak it to your taste.
Hi, thanks for your reply.
My dac has various options (Fast Linear, Slow Linear, Fast Minimum, Slow Minimum, Fast hybrid, Apodizing and brickwall) are you referring to these? I tried changing them but didn't perceive anything in the sound.
If not, what are you referring to as EQ? Where to set them? The dac is connected to the mac mini and I normally use Amazon Music but right now with the M1 chip it has glitch problems and I use Tidal (I hear the latter sounds better).
I had also used raspberry with moode in the past and tried EQs from there but the sound was worse (maybe I did something wrong).

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi, thank you for your reply.
What do you recommend for macosx? i have seen your post with the various software and there are a lot of them.
I don't use MacOSX so I don't have experience with their EQ/PEQ software. There are peeps here that use it and have experience. I suggest that you start a new thread requesting a EQ/PEQ for MacOSX so that peeps can see you are searching for one.

Reactions: bac

Paolo

Hello everyone,

I would like to ask you for an opinion. I have been reading the forum for a long time but I have only joined now. When I approached the world of headphone listening, based on my budget and Amir's reviews, I bought an SMSL SP200 and an SMSL SU-8 and a Sennheiser HD599. Over time I first changed the headphone to an HD660s and the amplifier to a Topping A90.
Over time I would like to buy a higher quality headphone but I don't understand if with my current system it is able to drive other headphones.
I would like to ask if:
- which is the best affordable headset that can be driven with my system?
- would I have any improvements if I bought a d90se using it with my current headset? for economic reasons I have to purchase them on a deferred basis, about 6 months between one purchase and another.

Would the A90 + D90se combination be an endgame for a user who would like to listen to music for a couple of hours in the evening but at a good quality level?

A thousand thanks!
You do not need to change DAC or AMP. Ever. Even the swap to A90 was unnecessary, the only reason to change hardware could be to have different connectors, but forget about besting the sound quality you’re already enjoying :)

Now, if you are not talking about quality, an improvement may be the RME ADI2 DAC FS, you will have same sound quality and less power, but an incredibly useful set of features otherwise hard to get on a Mac. I personally use the RME to EQ my headphone, it’s easy enough and independent from the Mac, I’ve also added a Soundform from Belkin. It’s a BT receiver, no idea about how it measures, but with it I can listen without the Mac and it’s really handy.

For The headphones you should define what “cheap” means to you, at less than 400$ you already have one of the best, the other ”best” in that range is the Sundara from HiFiMan, those are objectively excellent, definitely worth more than their price and a different kind of experience over the Sennheiser, subjectively I love them way more than the Senn, but that’s personal taste. For more than 400$ your options multiply…

OP
B

bac

You do not need to change DAC or AMP. Ever. Even the swap to A90 was unnecessary, the only reason to change hardware could be to have different connectors, but forget about besting the sound quality you’re already enjoying :)

Now, if you are not talking about quality, an improvement may be the RME ADI2 DAC FS, you will have same sound quality and less power, but an incredibly useful set of features otherwise hard to get on a Mac. I personally use the RME to EQ my headphone, it’s easy enough and independent from the Mac, I’ve also added a Soundform from Belkin. It’s a BT receiver, no idea about how it measures, but with it I can listen without the Mac and it’s really handy.

For The headphones you should define what “cheap” means to you, at less than 400$ you already have one of the best, the other ”best” in that range is the Sundara from HiFiMan, those are objectively excellent, definitely worth more than their price and a different kind of experience over the Sennheiser, subjectively I love them way more than the Senn, but that’s personal taste. For more than 400$ your options multiply…
Hi Paolo, thanks for your reply.
yet I noticed an improvement when I switched from the SP200 to the A90, maybe because in the first one the balanced was not really so or maybe for some other reason, anyway I already use XLR and the headphones are connected with the balanced 4.4.
Sorry I had added "cheap" to the first post and will remove it. At the moment the budget is around 1000 euros but I might postpone the purchase and add a few hundred more. I have the opportunity to also buy a used 800s for 750 euros if it is worth it.

Last edited:

charleski

Major Contributor
Hi, thanks for your reply.
My dac has various options (Fast Linear, Slow Linear, Fast Minimum, Slow Minimum, Fast hybrid, Apodizing and brickwall) are you referring to these? I tried changing them but didn't perceive anything in the sound.
If not, what are you referring to as EQ? Where to set them? The dac is connected to the mac mini and I normally use Amazon Music but right now with the M1 chip it has glitch problems and I use Tidal (I hear the latter sounds better).
I had also used raspberry with moode in the past and tried EQs from there but the sound was worse (maybe I did something wrong).
The filter settings on the DAC refer to the digital reconstruction filter. It's no surprise that you can't hear any difference with them.
You want EQ filters that operate in the audible range. Install SoundSource on the Mac, then look up some of the pre-calculated settings that are based on fitting the measured response to the Harman curve. Several people have done this, and there are small differences that result from measurement variability and other factors. Here are some results:

Try different ones out to see which sounds best to you, but don't be scared to change them to match your own personal preference (start with small changes).

OP
B

bac

The filter settings on the DAC refer to the digital reconstruction filter. It's no surprise that you can't hear any difference with them.
You want EQ filters that operate in the audible range. Install SoundSource on the Mac, then look up some of the pre-calculated settings that are based on fitting the measured response to the Harman curve. Several people have done this, and there are small differences that result from measurement variability and other factors. Here are some results:

Try different ones out to see which sounds best to you, but don't be scared to change them to match your own personal preference (start with small changes).
done. thank you very much, I will do several tests!

Weeb Labs

Addicted to Fun and Learning
SoundSource
It has an EQ built in, or you can set it up to use any AU filter software.
Not only that but SoundSource offers direct, searchable integration with the AutoEQ database.

1636910733361.png

OP
B

bac

I would like to thank you for the advice on EQ. The result is remarkable!
Regarding a headphone upgrade do you have any advice or do I stay with this one. what should I base it on?

Tansen

I just started using SoundSource with HD660S and am curious to know what EQ profiles are the best: Oratory1990, Crinacle, Rtings, Innerfidelity, Headphones.com, Reference audio analyzer?

From no EQ to getting Spoilt for choices!

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I just started using SoundSource with HD660S and am curious to know what EQ profiles are the best: Oratory1990, Crinacle, Rtings, Innerfidelity, Headphones.com, Reference audio analyzer?

Depends which suits your ears and tastes best. Oratory and Crinacle use the rigs most comparable to the ones used to derive the harman taget fwtw. I'd start with oratory from his site and tweak to suit.

staticV3

Master Contributor

Simply try them all and see which sounds best to you.

In my experience, there's no consistently best source for EQ presets. With one headphone ReferenceAudioAnalyzer may sound best and oratory may sound awful, and with the next headphone that may be reversed.

There are too many variables involved when measuring headphones for one person/institution to consistently outperform everyone else.
You just have to try them all and hope that one of them got it right for your particular set of headphones and ears.

Or if you're skilled enough you can take any preset and tweak it to your liking, as Jimbob54 suggested.

OP
B

bac

I find Innerfidelity better, of course try them and see which one suits you.

Top Bottom