• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Suggestion of interface/streamer with digital output for Genelec S360 or 8351b

Celloman

Hoping to be in the good section of the forum.

I will listen soon to two Genelec models, the S360 and the 8351b, and plan to buy one of these two models
It will be mainly for listening to music in my living room and also for Sound for my LG oled TV.

Since I do not need a DAC (speakers having AD/DA capabilities) I was wondering if a digital interface with AES output exist that could accommodate all the digital inputs: usb from computer or wifi streamer (roon tested/certified if possible), optical input from my TV, Spotify, Apple Airplay and bluetooth (the last three for my daugthers).

The Minidsp SHD could work, but It is expensive for just switch purpose since I do not need Dirac (genelec has GLM software) and SHD Studio does not have bluetooth, Apple Airplay is not certified and seems to produce distorsion from what I read, is not Roon tested and I think I need to pass through Volumino to have access to Spotify.

The future Gustard S16 streamer seems to have it all except for the fact that there is no optical input.

Other ideas ? Thank you!

Music1969

Major Contributor
Hoping to be in the good section of the forum.

I will listen soon to two Genelec models, the S360 and the 8351b, and plan to buy one of these two models
It will be mainly for listening to music in my living room and also for Sound for my LG oled TV.

Since I do not need a DAC (speakers having AD/DA capabilities) I was wondering if a digital interface with AES output exist that could accommodate all the digital inputs: usb from computer or wifi streamer (roon tested/certified if possible), optical input from my TV, Spotify, Apple Airplay and bluetooth (the last three for my daugthers).

The Minidsp SHD could work, but It is expensive for just switch purpose since I do not need Dirac (genelec has GLM software) and SHD Studio does not have bluetooth, Apple Airplay is not certified and seems to produce distorsion from what I read, is not Roon tested and I think I need to pass through Volumino to have access to Spotify.

The future Gustard S16 streamer seems to have it all except for the fact that there is no optical input.

Other ideas ? Thank you!

Just to clearly list all requirements:

- AES3 digital output
- networking input (Airplay certified, Roon, Spotify)
- TOSlink input
- Bluetooth input

I can't find one box that ticks ALL boxes but:

Bluesound Node 2i + HOSA S/PDIF to AES3 converter should tick all those boxes.

https://hosatech.com/products/digital-audio/s-pdif-interfaces/cdl-313/

Supports Airplay 2 (official Apple certified), Spotify Connect and Roon Ready.

TOSlink and bluetooth inputs.

OP
Celloman

Celloman

I would prefer not to use an optical to AES converter in addition to a main digital interface, if possible, but
thanks for the bluSound Node 2i suggestion, I will add it to the Minidsp Studio as a possible choice

Other suggestions? :)

Music1969

Major Contributor
I would prefer not to use an optical to AES converter in addition to a main digital interface, if possible

Nothing exists that ticks all those boxes.

So it will have to be a 2-box solution or you reduce required features...

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
take a look at the lumin u1 mini. I searched all around for one that has AES output, it has one.
Nevermind, does not have toslink input, only usb

Music1969

Major Contributor
take a look at the lumin u1 mini. I searched all around for one that has AES output, it has one.
Nevermind, does not have toslink input, only usb

No optical input, no bluetooth input.

As I listed above, he's looking for something with all this:

- AES3 digital output
- networking input (Airplay certified, Roon, Spotify)
- TOSlink input
- Bluetooth input

OP
Celloman

Celloman

The Bluesound Node 2i is listed to have a Combo - TOSLINK / 3,5mm as input. So it has all I need! Thanks!

Edit: no, correction, no AES output, only coax and optical, but with a coax to AES converter it would work, 2 boxes solution...

So, you can add other suggestions if you have one with AES output. Thanks.

Music1969

Major Contributor
The Bluesound Node 2i is listed to have a Combo - TOSLINK / 3,5mm as input. So it has all I need! Thanks!

Yes I know but you will need that small HOSA box to convert the Node 2i's digital coax output to AES3...

That HOSA box opens up other options like Cambridge Audio CXN V2 and Naim Uniti (more expensive) and probably others.

Node 2i is cheapest though.

The CXN V2 features Chromecast Built-in , which Node 2i doesn't.

OP
Celloman

Celloman

Yes I know but you will need that small HOSA box to convert the Node 2i's digital coax output to AES3...

That HOSA box opens up other options like Cambridge Audio CXN V2 and Naim Uniti (more expensive) and probably others.

Node 2i is cheapest though.

The CXN V2 features Chromecast Built-in , which Node 2i doesn't.

Interesting yes, but all units have DACs that I do not need, which increases price.

Not easy to find such a unit.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Not easy to find such a unit.

Yes I know, that's why I mentioned there isn't a single box that ticks all the boxes you require :)

You need to reduce requirements or settle for 2-box solution.

Reactions: CMB
OP
Celloman

Celloman

Yes I know, that's why I mentioned there isn't a single box that ticks all the boxes you require :)

You need to reduce requirements or settle for 2-box solution.

I will if necessary, but I am still hoping someone will suggest something I did not find in my internet search of such a unit :)

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The cocktail audio x50 has everything but the bluetooth. It instead has wifi
It also comes with a FREE, high price

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I will if necessary, but I am still hoping someone will suggest something I did not find in my internet search of such a unit :)
I think the Yamaha WXC-50 will do everything you need and has the ability for volume control on the spdif out. No need for AES out unless you are running very long digital cables to the first speaker.

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the Yamaha WXC-50 will do everything you need and has the ability for volume control on the spdif out. No need for AES out unless you are running very long digital cables to the first speaker.
This is nice. I wish i had found this when doing my search (as the op is doing) to connect to active speakers. Much cheaper than all the other options i found.

OP
Celloman

Celloman

Yes it ticks all the boxes, I did see it during the last hour. Too bad it is not Roon tested or ready. But I will investigate the unit.

Sprint

Forum Donor
@Celloman I was in a similar situation 1-2 months ago. I have Genelec 8340 monitors as LCR and 8330 as surrounds in my living room. I use a AVR for movies via RCA XLR cable connected to Genelecs. But for 2ch music, I wanted to go completely digital without my AVR messing up the sound. So I was on a similar lookout for a streamer with Digital output and no DAC.

I basically got three recommendations apart from Gustard S16. They were:

1. Raspberry PI4 on picoreplayer + Topping D10s USB SPIDF splitter with SPIDF, Toslink output & DAC
  2. Yamaha WXC 50
  3. Bluesound Node 2i
For me option 1 and 2 was attractive as my AVR is Yamaha and I could get into music cast. I love Yamaha products for its reliability. I decided to try option 1 as I already had a Raspberry PI 3b. I just brought Topping D10s. If I was not satisfied or cumbersome to set up, I wanted to return and buy Yamaha. Worse case, I could retain Topping and use it in my dedicated listening room for my DIY Open baffle speakers.

You will find some of my old threads when you search here. I first set up picoreplayer on PI3. It was super easy. Good documentation available. I am mainly using Qobuz and do not like Tidal (MQA). I use the dedicated material skin and sometimes I use dedicated IPENG app on my IPAD/Iphone. You can set the Qobuz account in LMS of picoreplayer. The IPENG app on my IPAD recognises my picoreplayer running on PI3. The Qobuz app is shown automatically. I just go to my Qobuz playlists and start playing my music. Volume control is on IPENG directly.

The one issue I had with PI3 was some occassional pops and clicks. This is an issue with PI3. So I Brough PI4 with Argon one case which has a dedicated power button to shutdown PI4 and is a useful feature. The pops and clicks are gone.

I use USB cable from RPI4 to Topping D10s. From D10s, I use a SPIDF -> AES cable to Genelecs. At the same time I use a Toslink cable to MiniDSP DDRC24 for subwoofer. I am planning to remove the sub from the chain as my 8340 are able to produce sufficient bass and a direct resolution on Genelecs without subwoofer is more enjoyable.

At the end I am very happy with the sound quality and I am satisfied to have saved some money. The project was fun. The topping D10 has a small display which gives information about the sample rate of the music being played. Ofcourse one does not need the DAC of Topping and there are cheaper SPIDF USB splitters available in amazon. But I wanted to buy that was measured well in ASR and Amirm has given excellent reviews of Topping D10s.

Hope the above helps you to give a different option.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Yes it ticks all the boxes, I did see it during the last hour. Too bad it is not Roon tested or ready. But I will investigate the unit.

The Yamaha doesn't tick all the features you wanted, missing Roon box and doesn't support latest Airplay 2 , which Node 2i does...

You can play Roon to Airplay 1 devices but it's limited to 16bit/44.1kHz

Node 2i is officially Roon Ready and supports Airplay 2

OP
Celloman

Celloman

The Yamaha doesn't tick all the features you wanted, missing Roon box and doesn't support latest Airplay 2 , which Node 2i does...

You can play Roon to Airplay 1 devices but it's limited to 16bit/44.1kHz

Node 2i is officially Roon Ready and supports Airplay 2

I have sent an email to Yamaha to verify the Roon situation and the volume functioning earlier today but I doubt it is Roon tested since it is not advertised as such. Node 2i was my first choice and still is. Thanks again.

Music1969

Major Contributor
I have sent an email to Yamaha to verify the Roon situation and the volume functioning earlier today but I doubt it is Roon tested since it is not advertised as such. Node 2i was my first choice and still is. Thanks again.

It isn't Roon tested, otherwise Roon would put it on their website under 'Roon Tested' section at the bottom

https://roonlabs.com/partners

But as I already mentioned, Roon plays to Airplay 1 devices (can't group zones though) but will be limited to 16/44.1 as mentioned...

1616896197963.png

Top Bottom