• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Suggestion: moderate first 20 posts or limit early replies.

Opus111

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I don't think just stating that will work, people will just ignore it.

Why would they ignore it? If they do that's grounds for sanctioning I'd suggest. Or merely having their posts deleted.

Equally even people who I have little respect for and caused problems previously have on the odd Occassion contributed constructively to threads. So let them contribute and see how it goes. If they behave, no problem, the moment they act up they get switched off by the OP.

Dynamically controlling who's able to post looks to me to be more problematic - does the OP maintain a list in the first post? If so then likely candidates for being excluded would need to check that list prior to making each post. Seems cumbersome to me, and a disincentive to posting.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
The problem is Amir would have to perform the policing which is a workload I don't think he wants, but I will obviously let Amir comment on that.

There is no need to keep lists. If a poster starts acting up the OP just switches off their ability to post further in that thread.

I would prefer to give any individual, however much I suspect they will cause issues, the opportunity to contribute in a constructive manner. I think that this will also encourage those individuals to contribute in a constructive manner.

The problem is this looks like custom functionality.

Your method I think is a viable second option. However the OP will have get an admin to perform the removal if someone ignores your request. It does also require someone to check the first post. The admin will also have to abide by the decision of the OP, even if they don't agree with it. The decision making power has to reside with the OP otherwise it's not actually any different to what we have now.

Last edited:

John Kenny

So why not have a system whereby the OP can apply an ignore tag to posts so that any reader can then have the option of viewing the thread as the OP considers optimal (the ignored posts are invisible) or viewing all the thread's posts?

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
So why not have a system whereby the OP can apply an ignore tag to posts so that any reader can then have the option of viewing the thread as the OP considers optimal (the ignored posts are invisible) or viewing all the thread's posts?

Because the thread is not as the OP wants, it is still being steered and disrupted by the problem individual.

This is absolutely no different to what we have now where individuals can be put on ignore. It doesn't stop the problem.

John Kenny

Because the thread is not as the OP wants, it is still being steered and disrupted by the problem individual.

This is absolutely no different to what we have now where individuals can be put on ignore..
The thread can be read by any reader as the OP wants because the OP can tag POSTS (not members) on ignore - so there's two ways for any reader to view the thread - as the OP wants him to view it or all posts - it's the OP editorialising the thread but the full thread being also visible if the reader chooses

tomelex

Forum Donor
We do need to get creative here, and in control, I thought back on my first few week here and how I enjoyed coming here. Give the OP of the thread admin rights for that thread. Forum becomes self policing, and if the OP "wrongly" shuts someone down, they can open their own thread, called perhaps a counter thread. I realize we are re-inventing forum process here, but that's what objectivists or science types do, we invent things, fix things, and improve things. I don't know if its possible but somehow I think Amir with some help from the forum designers can do it, I think. I do not know, I am not well versed in code. I just read above, John Kenny has an idea there too.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
We do need to get creative here, and in control, I thought back on my first few week here and how I enjoyed coming here. Give the OP of the thread admin rights for that thread. Forum becomes self policing, and if the OP "wrongly" shuts someone down, they can open their own thread, called perhaps a counter thread. I realize we are re-inventing forum process here, but that's what objectivists or science types do, we invent things, fix things, and improve things. I don't know if its possible but somehow I think Amir with some help from the forum designers can do it, I think. I do not know, I am not well versed in code. I just read above, John Kenny has an idea there too.

It obviously needs re-inventing. The results of the current system are clear to see in most forums on the net. Same happens everywhere. Agreed, the first few weeks were great, thats because no-one knew about the forum :)

Mivera

Major Contributor
I'm too busy talking about audio to even notice there's a problem. What are you guys talking about anyways? Are you guys on here to talk about audio, or whine about others? If you don't like what someones saying, just say something smarter than them. After a while they usually shrivel up and blow away.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I don't think just stating that will work, people will just ignore it. Equally even people who I have little respect for and caused problems previously have on the odd Occassion contributed constructively to threads. So let them contribute and see how it goes. If they behave, no problem, the moment they act up they get switched off by the OP.

It's a great deterrent and motivator to be constructive. There's no point in doing anything else otherwise you get switched off.
I like the idea in theory but how is the OP to control things unless he could be granted moderator privileges over the thread he created. I don't see that as possible within the forums software?

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
OK, I modified the forum software to give two additional rights to the Thread Starter:

1. Delete any posts in his thread. This is a permanent delete. Even I won't be able to recover what was there.

2. Lock the thread.

This change is only active in the General Discussions forum.http://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?forums/general-audio-discussions.2/

Need someone to create a thread, and others adding test posts and see if the OP can delete them. Who wants to go first?

Top Bottom