• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Suggestion for DT990 250 wireless substitute

badaboomtss

Hi,

As the title says, I'm after a wireless version of DT990s. My second pair just broke down and After trying Steelseries Nova Pro for few days I'm quite certain I need to go wireless below is why).

What I really liked about the 990s is how comfy they are, how ideal the ear cup size was to size of my ears - I often forgot they're on even after 10 hours of wearing them. Half a day in the Novas and my ears are hurting (my head is quite big and the headband is fully extended, yet I can feel some tension on points of contact with ears/head)

What I would love to have in the new headphones:
- ear cups at least of the size of DT990/770
- open back (i prefer 990s over the 770 for a bit of sound through)
- decent, but no audiophile level characteristics required (source is only Spotify on PC)
- a microphone would be a huge advantage but I can work around it
- no need for portability
- ideally the base/dac would support two PC inputs (the biggest advantage of the Nova Pros - it has 2 independent USB inputs)

Budget: around $400.

Am i looking for a unicorn? Thank you for all your suggestions.

Patrick

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The closest thing your talking about is the Amiron home wireless, though it doesn't have the same bass as the wired. The Audeze Penrose may be a good match too. I've had every Beyerdynamic from the business and the wireless headset I use is the Bose Quiet comfort II 35. The best value for the money is the Cloud Stinger Core if you don't install the software and disable windows sound enhancements you'll be shocked how good the sound for $30 with shipping from an eBay liquidator. Also Godzilla battery life. Just make sure it includes the dongle since you need it. Also light as a kite for comfort.

Trell

Major Contributor
I’m curious as how two pairs of DT990s got broken. They are sturdy and most parts of them can be bought as replacement parts. Unfortunately the cable OS not detachable on them, though.

Bioevolution

Hi,

As the title says, I'm after a wireless version of DT990s. My second pair just broke down and After trying Steelseries Nova Pro for few days I'm quite certain I need to go wireless below is why).

What I really liked about the 990s is how comfy they are, how ideal the ear cup size was to size of my ears - I often forgot they're on even after 10 hours of wearing them. Half a day in the Novas and my ears are hurting (my head is quite big and the headband is fully extended, yet I can feel some tension on points of contact with ears/head)

What I would love to have in the new headphones:
- ear cups at least of the size of DT990/770
- open back (i prefer 990s over the 770 for a bit of sound through)
- decent, but no audiophile level characteristics required (source is only Spotify on PC)
- a microphone would be a huge advantage but I can work around it
- no need for portability
- ideally the base/dac would support two PC inputs (the biggest advantage of the Nova Pros - it has 2 independent USB inputs)

Budget: around $400.

Am i looking for a unicorn? Thank you for all your suggestions.

Patrick
If you can't find a wireless version to match the DT990s.

1. Shorten the cable of your favourite model of headphones.
2. Clip a portable bluetooth receiver onto the headband and connect the jack.
3. Tidy \ and hide the cable depending on the style of headphones.

I've converted some Koss porta pros (because their "wireless" version has wires), Beyerdynamic DT 770's and Senn HD58X (only need one clip-on Bluetooth receiver).

However, some may find that having a clip-on BT receiver visibly clipped onto their headphones messes with their "street cred".

Last edited:
Top Bottom