• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Suggestion for a good and cheap amp to drive planars(m1060) + v40 amp question

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Thanks! That was what i was hoping for. From my understanding of how amplifiers with headphones work, the m1060 is 50 ohm 96db/v, and it needs 1v to reach 96 db? I usually listen in 70-75 db. So why do some people say that it will sound so much better with 5-6 watts of power? I just cant understand it. Im surely missing something?

What you are missing is the difference between average SPL and peak SPL. When you say you listen in the 70-75dB range you mean average levels.
Peak levels (DR rating !) could be 10 to 15dB higher so when playing at average levels of 75dB SPL there can be peaks of up to 90dB and when you turn up the bass about +5dB you could be having 95dB SPL while the average may be around 75dB.

This is why you need extra headroom. To play at impressive levels (you know, the listening levels that you can only handle shortly) including some mall extra headroom you need to be able to reach 120dB SPL peak.

With volume? Yes! I think the soundquality is good, but severel people with same set up(LG quad dac phones and m1060 modded) says that feeding the M1060 with more current will give it way more bass,soundstage etc. Is it placebo or is it real? It will be interessting if it actually increased quality .

There are more than 1 aspects to this question.
A: A low headphone impedance combined with a capacitor coupled output stage can lead to roll-off in the bass. External amps usually aren't bothered by this.
B: a low powered output will clip at lower levels so that means low frequencies might be clipping OR you cannot reach impressive levels yet and equal loudness contour effects make the sound less powerful.
C: When your headphone only draws say 50mA at a certain volume there will be no audible difference between an amplifier that can potentially deliver 60mA and 2A.

OP
W

W1ll1eTheP1mp

What you are missing is the difference between average SPL and peak SPL. When you say you listen in the 70-75dB range you mean average levels.
Peak levels (DR rating !) could be 10 to 15dB higher so when playing at average levels of 75dB SPL there can be peaks of up to 90dB and when you turn up the bass about +5dB you could be having 95dB SPL while the average may be around 75dB.

This is why you need extra headroom. To play at impressive levels (you know, the listening levels that you can only handle shortly) including some mall extra headroom you need to be able to reach 120dB SPL peak.

There are more than 1 aspects to this question.
A: A low headphone impedance combined with a capacitor coupled output stage can lead to roll-off in the bass. External amps usually aren't bothered by this.
B: a low powered output will clip at lower levels so that means low frequencies might be clipping OR you cannot reach impressive levels yet and equal loudness contour effects make the sound less powerful.
C: When your headphone only draws say 50mA at a certain volume there will be no audible difference between an amplifier that can potentially deliver 60mA and 2A.

I dont know how much mW the v40 can output. only know its 2v rms in HIM(high impedance mode). i have used this link http://www.digizoid.com/power.php . m1060 is 50ohm and 96db/1mw. But without know anything else than that the lg v40 has 2v rms, idnt know if it has enough current and mw/w to power the m1060 efficiently. Im a newbie, but trying to learn as much as possible!

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I dont know how much mW the v40 can output. only know its 2v rms in HIM(high impedance mode). i have used this link http://www.digizoid.com/power.php . m1060 is 50ohm and 96db/1mw. But without know anything else than that the lg v40 has 2v rms, idnt know if it has enough current and mw/w to power the m1060 efficiently. Im a newbie, but trying to learn as much as possible!

The V40 seems to be able to handle 50 Ohm in high voltage mode which means it can provide enough current in 50 Ohm (= 60mApeak)
Even if the phone were able to deliver 100A peak and the output voltage would still be limited to 2V there can never be more current drawn.

96dB/mW = 109dB/V so you can reach 115dB peak levels.

Joaquin Dinero

Forum Donor
I have some M1060s also. I typically use them with a Schiit Magni 3 which sounds great, but they also work just fine on my good laptop.

Top Bottom