• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Suggestion for a budget (~100$) ADC?

Jave

Hey,

I would appreciate a suggestion for a good budget ADC (around 100$ or lower, for recording). If it includes a DAC\Amp portion - even better. If not, also ok.

Thanks in advance!

rwortman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Behringer U-Phoria UMC202HD I have used this units big brother the 404HD which is just more channels of the same circuitry. I have recorded electronic piano through the line in and and vocals with the mic preamp. It makes very good sounding recordings. It will playback too but does not contain an amp other than for a headphone output. I am not aware of one that does. One typically buys powered studio monitors for, well, monitoring. Here is a dropbox link to a recording. song

Last edited:
OP
Jave

Jave

The problem with the Behringer is that I can't find any proper specs of their products.

What's the mic you used in the recording?

Last edited:

rwortman

Forum Donor
It was tested here for it's playback abilities and was astonishingly good. The manual has a pretty full set of spec's. You asked for a recommendation at around $100. There are a few out there. They probably all work pretty well. I have personal experience with this one and I gave you an example. If all you wanted to do was compare spec sheets, why ask. Manual with specs.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Have the 202 and 204. Both have very decent ADC. Only the midas input section has slightly higher 2nd harm. distortion than my EMU0204.
No problem for recording audio but when used to measure gear it may be something to take into account.

Excellent external USB budget ADC+DAC

rwortman

Forum Donor
The problem with the Behringer is that I can't find any proper specs of their products.

What's the mic you used in the recording?
I used a Lewitt small diaphragm condenser mic for the vocal. I love the way these things sound on female voices. Not bad for guys either, I have a recording of that somewhere too. Lewitt MTP 350 CM $150 all day. I have found them on sale for under $100. Piano was straight into the ADC. Recorded with Reaper and I think I used some purchased reverb plugins on the voice and piano. I'd have to see if I still have the project file.

Here is my friend JR recorded with the same mic but into a Soundcraft mixer instead of the Behringer. The Shape I'm in.

Last edited:

DWPress

Forum Donor
Even one of the older Focusrite boxes like the fist gen Scarlett 2i2 measures really well and includes everything your looking for. Cheap on eBay.

jsrtheta

FWIW, I second the recommendation of Behringer. I've owned a number of their products. Some are better than others. But I've found they perform very well, are often very well designed, and outperform their weight class. I have never had one fail, which means something to me when it comes to pro audio. And I've had similar feedback from pro audio pros.

Top Bottom