• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Suggestion Amp for Sony MDR-Z1R Headphone

mikestrok

Hi there, Newbie here
Im currently using iPhone to stream Tidal, and using Sony Phase-2A Portable amp to paired with Sony MDR-Z1R Headphone.
For casual listening they are fine. However im looking for a Desktop Amp to drive the Z1R or (may be a more powerful portable amp).
Was thinking RME ADI-2 DAC FS / Sony TA-XH1ES / IFI Neo iDSD DAC to best synergy with my headphone.
Suggestion are welcome.
Thanks in advance.

staticV3

Master Contributor
The MDR-Z1R is a pretty efficient headphone. Sony themselves spec it at 112dB/Vrms, while Innerfidelity measured 109.5dB/Vrms.
Using inner's results, here are the power requirements:
Screenshot_20220215-162535_Chrome.jpg

Low noise should be high up on your list of priorities.
Your $1000-1200 budget I think is complete overkill, as you can get a flawless Amp for little over $100 nowadays.

Take a look at Schiit, SMSL, Topping, Geshelli, JDS Labs. They all make great stuff.

OP
M

mikestrok

The MDR-Z1R is a pretty efficient headphone. Sony themselves spec it at 112dB/Vrms, while Innerfidelity measured 109.5dB/Vrms.
Using inner's results, here are the power requirements:
View attachment 186856

Low noise should be high up on your list of priorities.
Your $1000-1200 budget I think is complete overkill, as you can get a flawless Amp for little over $100 nowadays.

Take a look at Schiit, SMSL, Topping, Geshelli, JDS Labs. They all make great stuff.
Thanks for the reply, any idea which one have the best synergy with the Sony Z1R?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Thanks for the reply, any idea which one have the best synergy with the Sony Z1R?
I don't know what this synergy is that you're talking about. I'm sorry. Would you mind explaining?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Audio-GD NFB-11.38 DAC/amp
ermm... Audio-GD product has been tested here @ ASR and the results where not good.

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
ermm... Audio-GD product has been tested here @ ASR and the results where not good.
I like their sound and they seem to be well built, never had one stop working, unlike other brands of DACs I've bought.

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I mean which you work better with MDR-z1R as per all the brand mentioned? Thanks

I believe what he's asking is for some quantifiable metrics around the term "synergy."
As in, what does that word mean to you? When you say "work better", what aspects of an amp/DAC are you concerned about in concert with the Z1R? I've had the Z1R and am pretty familiar with it so maybe I can help?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I believe what he's asking is for some quantifiable metrics around the term "synergy."
As in, what does that word mean to you? When you say "work better", what aspects of an amp/DAC are you concerned about in concert with the Z1R? I've had the Z1R and am pretty familiar with it so maybe I can help?
Those come with the 4.4mm balanced connector plus a single ended cable too?

OP
M

mikestrok

As far as i know, some people said some DAC or AMP are warm/dark, Forward/Laid back etc.
as for me, i prefer something neutral, prefer good mid / vocal, good soundstage etc. (I am not sure, may be i picked the wrong headphone for the genres i like) thus i thought a DAC or AMP may help.
Yes, i have the 4.4 KIMBER MUC-B20SB1 comes with the headphone.

Sharpi31

Forum Donor
My two cents….

Option 1: Spend $200 or so on a ‘clean’ headphone amp that will provide sufficient power and extremely low distortion. Topping would be an obvious choice.

Option 2: Spend more for a device that offers additional DSP functionality (crossfeed, EQ, loudness compensation) - these elements will make a significant (= real) difference to your listening experience. The RME ADI-2 DAC is excellent.

Do not spend Option 2 money on a device with Option 1 capabilities

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As far as i know, some people said some DAC or AMP are warm/dark, Forward/Laid back etc.
as for me, i prefer something neutral, prefer good mid / vocal, good soundstage etc. (I am not sure, may be i picked the wrong headphone for the genres i like) thus i thought a DAC or AMP may help.
Yes, i have the 4.4 KIMBER MUC-B20SB1 comes with the headphone.

What you're describing will be almost entirely dependent on the headphones themselves, and to a lesser extent, their placement & positioning on your head. A modern HPA/DAC that meets your power (i.e. volume+EQ) requirements will not provide any of those things, unless it's poorly designed or intentionally targeting a euphonic effect. Recommend reading the first post here, you may save yourself some consternation (and $).

Top Bottom