• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Suggest Headphones to be thinking of and what will I need to add speakers in?

Hi, I'm relatively an audio novice and could use some direction and suggestions from you wise sages.

I built a new high end computer for gaming and wanted to try expanding beyond the built in sound cards (I have an asus rog crosshair viii dark hero motherboard, essentially it says I have a "ROG SupremeFX audio technology" "SupremeFX S1220 codec" an ESS® ES9023P DAC, and a Texas Instruments® RC4580 op amp.)

I went ahead and ordered a Schiit Mobius and a Magnius after reading a bit around here as the reviews seemed decent, and it matched what I had in budget for dac/headphone amp. As I understand it, i'll basically be bypassing whatever nonsense they baked into the onboard motherboard audio.

So now for headphones. I currently own a pair of HyperX Cloud Orbit S headphones, which aren't super comfortable, I don't need the mic (I have a stand alone blue yeti), the cord gets super twisted no matter how i store it, and frankly it looks too 'gamer-ey' and cheap. I'm told they're similar to Audeze Mobius headphones but rebranded for whatever that's worth.

I also have a pair of Grado SR225e, and maybe they're great, but the ear foam doesn't go nicely over/around my ear and is pretty stiff and uncomfortable, and the cable has always been too short previously to reach the backplane of my previous gaming computer, so frankly they haven't been used/tested much. I used to have a pair of AudioTechnica ATH-A700s that I liked due to their comfort, until one of my kids sat on them and broke the frame :(

So I'd like thoughts/suggestions on "nicer" headphones to consider. Sound in games doesn't matter a ton to me, I'm usually playing in discord with friends so voice comms take precedence over game music. However for music, I like a ton of different things ranging from classic rock, power ballads, mainstream metal, pop and rap to folk songs, and acapella groups. There's always something in any genre I like! Really I just enjoy hearing new things.

After I get headphones sorted out, I'd like to properly add in speakers. I have a pair of Pioneer SP-BS21 LR bookshelf speakers that a neighbor gave me when they moved away. They seem fine, but not extraordinary. I presume the schiit stack I'm buying won't drive speakers and I'll need something else additionally. Got any advice for what that set up should be? I'm guessing it's something like an amp, a better set of book shelf speakers and a subwoofer, and it will be $350 for speakers, $200 for a sub, and $100 for an amp?

I use headphones 90% of the time so I want to get that solved first, and then buy all the speaker stuff in one go in the future.

I saw the below format in another subforum on headphone requests (and sorry if I should have posted this there, i'm new!)

Budget: (in local currency and maybe USD): Let's say $500-$600? If there was some amazing item that could only be had at $750 point me at it? I am unfamiliar with the "cut off point" for good price/performance, and when you start to get diminishing returns on headphone dollars spent, so i'm a bit flexible here.

Form factor: (e.g. over ear, on ear, IEM, open back etc.): Over ear. I don't have a strong preference to closed back vs open back.

Use case: (e.g. casual listening while at work, critical listening etc.): Music, games, discord

Source information: (your amp/lack of amp if you feel it's relevant): PC, schiit Mobius Preamp, Magnius amp

Things that are important to you: (e.g. comfort, portability, durability etc.): Quality and comfort

Your preferred sound signature/other headphones you've tried and liked/disliked: see above, most things i disliked were due to comfort... but i've never had a dac/amp before either...

Anything else you feel might be relevant: see above

Thank you all very much in advance. And if i've done, or presumed anything foolish, please point it out! Critical feedback is appreciated, and helps us all learn!

Top Bottom