• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SUCH A DEAL!!!!

sejarzo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Saw this today on the local CL and had to repost. Thinking of amir's caveat on the for sale forum "This is where you can try to sell any and all things. It is likely all useless junk but if you can convince someone to buy it, who are we try to complain."

I'd use the proverbial 10 foot pole to throw the power switch. Looks like someone did a tube-to-solid state transformation on these bad boys. Voltage, schmoltage?

BUT SERIOUS INQUIRIES ONLY DAMMIT I KNOW WHAT I GOT HERE, KINDA!!

https://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/ele/d/joliet-two-2-handmade-amplifiers/7092823796.html

from the posting:

for sale are two (2) hand-made amplifiers. i don't know if they work, or what their wattage is.

DIY-ers, hobbyists, interested? send me an email....

if you're seeing this ad, they're still available. serious inquiries only--no trades.

00606_576XbTRRKaD_1200x900.jpg

01010_lyn86uCSUn7_1200x900.jpg

Last edited:
OP
sejarzo

sejarzo

Forum Donor
Googled "6AT24" which revealed links to various Zenith brand consoles, new ca. 1967. It was indeed the power amp used in them, 20 w/ch or so according to once source.

Complete all in one media center. TV, AM/FM tuner, record changer.

1584488487948.png

WesParker

Googled "6AT24" which revealed links to various Zenith brand consoles, new ca. 1967. It was indeed the power amp used in them, 20 w/ch or so according to once source.

Complete all in one media center. TV, AM/FM tuner, record changer.

From the looks, possibly a very early solid state version, where they reused tube amp boards

OP
sejarzo

sejarzo

Forum Donor
From the looks, possibly a very early solid state version, where they reused tube amp boards

Interesting observation. I am 62 so I am old enough to remember "Nestor", the local TV serviceman coming to the house, hauling in his massive "tackle box" full of tubes, picking around behind the set, and almost always saying "Ah, yeah, lucky I still got one of those XYZABC's in here, that's the problem!" and then getting into an argument with my dad about "those new solid state sets ain't all they are cracked up to be, I'll tell ya!!!"

LOL Nestor knew that solid state was going to cut into his service business, didn't he?

The other one was "Yeah, those new 'printed circuit boards' sure don't look as sturdy as a good wiring job, ya know?"

Top Bottom