• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Subwoofers with Parametric EQ

OP
SimpleTheater

SimpleTheater

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have read some articles that 4 less expensive subs would offer better in-room response than two more expensive subs. Lots of variables there, plus the room itself, but i can’t help wonder if 4 $1,000 subs would be better than 2 $2k subs?
Because this is for home theater use only, I want to go deep. The Rythmik 18" subs seem to be hitting the sweet spot in terms of quality, customer service and price. The fact that they've been independently tested, as linked by @MZKM is also a bright spot.

From my research, four subs of smaller size, will outclass two subs for overall room response. But they won't dig down to that 15-20 Hz level to shake the seats when an asteroid falls from the sky. That's what I'm going for. I currently have two PSB Subseries 9 that do an ok job, but the 10" woofers can't really get to 30 Hz, even though they're spec'd for 28 Hz.

Now if I could afford 4 massive subs, I'd simply go that direction, but with a $4k budget I'm limited in what I can do, unless someone points me to some estate sale.

OP
SimpleTheater

SimpleTheater

Forum Donor
I would definitely go for four $1000 subs (or a bit less to have some budget for an Antimode 8033). What do you want to listen to, and what are the main speakers?
My main speakers are JBL 3677's - small cinema speakers. Super easy to drive. I've had everything in my ht, from Paradigms, Totems, PSBs, but none of them really had the impact I was looking for. I realized with home theater I needed something easy to drive, and the JBL's (while not perfect by any stretch of the imagination) capture the impact of gun fire, breaking glass, etc., that the other speakers just couldn't. Actually maybe they could, by I didn't have the amplification because I'm using an AVR and not dedicated amps. Regardless, I've been thoroughly satisfied with my Yamaha A-3060, the JBL's, and four 8" monoprice in-ceiling speakers. The low end is ok, and that's what I want to improve at this point.

Willem

Major Contributor
If it is for just you watching big explosions I would go for two big subs and an Antimode 8033. In fact, given that your receiver already has some basic room eq, you may try without the Antimode.

Webninja

Forum Donor
I would definitely go for four $1000 subs (or a bit less to have some budget for an Antimode 8033). What do you want to listen to, and what are the main speakers?

It would be a music/movie system, probably 70% movie. Still planning everything and since I was recently informed I’m being laid off in April, might be some time before I can buy.

F206/C208 front
S16 x 4 for surround
C563 x 4 for atmos (installed)
L12 x 4 for subs

if I can dream a little, then:

Studio2/Voice2 front with three hypex monoblocks

Webninja

Forum Donor
Because this is for home theater use only, I want to go deep. The Rythmik 18" subs seem to be hitting the sweet spot in terms of quality, customer service and price. The fact that they've been independently tested, as linked by @MZKM is also a bright spot.

From my research, four subs of smaller size, will outclass two subs for overall room response. But they won't dig down to that 15-20 Hz level to shake the seats when an asteroid falls from the sky. That's what I'm going for. I currently have two PSB Subseries 9 that do an ok job, but the 10" woofers can't really get to 30 Hz, even though they're spec'd for 28 Hz.

Now if I could afford 4 massive subs, I'd simply go that direction, but with a $4k budget I'm limited in what I can do, unless someone points me to some estate sale.

From my research, you are correct, and why I too paused at the 4 vs 2 subs decision. I would like lots of SPL around 20Hz or lower. Maybe 4xF15HP would be a winner. Mmmm bass...

Willem

Major Contributor
My B&W PV1d subwoofer gives significant output to below 13 Hz in our (very) large listening room. However I had a nasty peak around 13 Hz and the Antimode's correction does not extend below 16 Hz, so I decided to use the sub's processor to reduce the very lowest output. Mine is used primarily for music, but sometimes also for movies (but not those with falling asteroids).
And yes, I should get a second one, but this winter I decided to buy two fancy ultralight solo tents (one for bad weather and one for hot weather) for my bicycle tours this Spring when my wife will be very busy with work. I tried them in the garden this afternoon, but that will be all for a while.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
How about one of these? 4x12"... Might be fun for the right room...

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649563956-genelec-7073a-subwoofer/

Screenshot_20200324-163955.png

raindance

Major Contributor
The latency of the Antimode 8033 is only 2.7 ms. You will not notice that.
Why are you insisting to remain in the analogue domain?

That's about 2.5 feet which is significant in a listening room. With "analog mains" the only option is moving the sub 2.5 feet closer to the listener than the mains.

I'm trying to answer a question, not trying to do anything personally :D

Olli

Forum Donor
Ad 3: 4 subs in my (small - 4x 5x 3,3 m) room made a difference vs 2. Note that this is req‘ed, similar to something like
antimode.

1585083991566.png

Worth Davis

Forum Donor
Like I said I have many subs, would rather have 2 monster crazy subs than 4+ great subs. Like giant ass JTR or DIY subs of pure soul crushing dbs.

Milan

1. If you have hardware and software to calibrate the system, eq would be useful. If you are using room correction with a reciever, there's a little benefit to it and definitely not a priority.

3. For room that big, get as many as you can. Best upgrade to my system was dual uls-15. Gained more dynamic range and reasonably flat bass response. There's no way it would sound as good if I had only one sub. Peaks and dips in any bass heavy music would be noticeable. Multiple subs is way better option for flattening the response because it can deal with nulls with proper placement, if you have a reciever - it'll deal with peaks.

4x$1000 >>> 2x$2000

And with 4 subs you don't need ported beasts, reasonably sized sealed subs are gonna handle the volume of the room just fine. Sb2000 pro or similar seems like something I would consider if I was on the market for new subs. And 20% under the budget

OP
SimpleTheater

SimpleTheater

Forum Donor
How about one of these? 4x12"... Might be fun for the right room...
Unfortunately I don’t have the space for 5’, but I’m going to keep looking on that site for deals like this.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Unfortunately I don’t have the space for 5’, but I’m going to keep looking on that site for deals like this.

I'm sure there's some junior version of that one out there with your name on it.
I wish I had the right place for that...

OP
SimpleTheater

SimpleTheater

Forum Donor
3. For room that big, get as many as you can. Best upgrade to my system was dual uls-15. Gained more dynamic range and reasonably flat bass response. There's no way it would sound as good if I had only one sub. Peaks and dips in any bass heavy music would be noticeable. Multiple subs is way better option for flattening the response because it can deal with nulls with proper placement, if you have a reciever - it'll deal with peaks.
I’ve decided to keep the PSB and move it to the rear of the room and put two FV15HP or FVX15’s up front. Now the dilemma, should I save $600 and get the FVX15’s? Rythmik states there is a 2.5 dB output drop with the FVX15’s. But I’m running 3 subs, so will I ever need the more expensive FV15HP’s?

Top Bottom