• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Subwoofer with Hypex amp & dac?

Smytherines

Currently I'm running some Paradigm Prestige 75f towers with a cheap Sony amp but plan to upgrade to the hypex NC252MP amp or similar soon (and upgrade to BMR Towers eventually)

I want to connect a CD player, and still be able to stream the lossless files I have downloaded onto my android as well. I also hope to add in a powered SVS subwoofer eventually as I listen to a lot of bass music.

I'm looking at DAC/pre-amp/receivers (I'd rather have them combined if possible as space is limited) but being new to this area it is hard to decide what I need exactly, and many dont seem capable of integrating a sub. (My current sony strdh590 is an AVR which is mostly useless since I don't plan on having a TV and can't even use the EQ without one.)

Any pointers or things I should be looking out for?

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Welcome to ASR!

The MiniDSP Flex Balanced (review) seems like a good option for you if you don't need a streamer. MiniDSP SHD (review) if you do.

OP
S

Smytherines

Welcome to ASR!

The MiniDSP Flex Balanced (review) seems like a good option for you if you don't need a streamer. MiniDSP SHD (review) if you do.
Thanks for the suggestions! Looks like these might work! Would this also function as a pre-amp or would I need something else to complete the setup besides one of these and the Hypex?

Do either of these allow me to play the music files that are on my phones memory? (Not in an app. I have a lot of flac and wavs of soundboard recordings of live music performances). Seems like Roon might be for a computer. I see the Flex has Bluetooth but I understand that compromises quality somewhat

Thanks for the help it is much appreciated. I've only had powered studio monitors in the past so all this is a bit daunting!

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Both MinDSP units will work as pre-amp. The SHD includes both single ended (RCA connectors) and balanced (XLR connectors) analog input and output. The Flex can only have either balanced (TRS connectors) with the Flex Balanced model or single ended (RCA connectors) with the Flex Unbalanced model.

As you are planning on getting a Hypex speaker amp, you will most likely want to connect to it using balanced. If you go with the Flex Balanced, then your sub will have to accept balanced input (or you will need a proper conversion box or DIY one). You'll find balanced inputs in all pro model subs and as an option for Rythmik subs. There are probably other "consumer" subs that have balanced input.

The Flex has no streaming function. It is intended to be connected to a streamer/pc (and/or an analog source). I am not very familiar in this area, but I think you should be able to use a Wiim Mini (review) and connect to the Flex using SPDIF optical. Amir's Wiim review showed good results with Android but only roughly CD quality noise level with AirPlay. IMHO, however, the AirPlay performance level is more than adequate for all intents and purposes. For convenience, I also won't discount Bluetooth. You most likely won't tell the difference.

OP
S

Smytherines

Both MinDSP units will work as pre-amp. The SHD includes both single ended (RCA connectors) and balanced (XLR connectors) analog input and output. The Flex can only have either balanced (TRS connectors) with the Flex Balanced model or single ended (RCA connectors) with the Flex Unbalanced model.

As you are planning on getting a Hypex speaker amp, you will most likely want to connect to it using balanced. If you go with the Flex Balanced, then your sub will have to accept balanced input (or you will need a proper conversion box or DIY one). You'll find balanced inputs in all pro model subs and as an option for Rythmik subs. There are probably other "consumer" subs that have balanced input.

The Flex has no streaming function. It is intended to be connected to a streamer/pc (and/or an analog source). I am not very familiar in this area, but I think you should be able to use a Wiim Mini (review) and connect to the Flex using SPDIF optical. Amir's Wiim review showed good results with Android but only roughly CD quality noise level with AirPlay. IMHO, however, the AirPlay performance level is more than adequate for all intents and purposes. For convenience, I also won't discount Bluetooth. You most likely won't tell the difference.
Thank you! Yes it seems the Flex supports LDAC format for Bluetooth which my galaxy does as well. Close enough to lossless for me! Thanks so much for the help the minidsp Flex is just what I needed

OP
S

Smytherines

For the sub, it takes RCA. The balanced minidsp flex is trs outputs. Couldn't I just use a TRS to RCA cable to the sub? Or does this present other issues? What are the drawbacks of integrating the unbalanced version with the hypex?

Last edited:

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I believe it is best to use a sub with balanced input. However, MiniDSP does have a recommendation for a TRS to RCA adapter cable.

anotherhobby

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
For the sub, it takes RCA. The balanced minidsp flex is trs outputs. Couldn't I just use a TRS to RCA cable to the sub? Or does this present other issues? What are the drawbacks of integrating the nonchalance version with the hypex?
I used these RCA to mono TS adapters on my miniDSP Flex. They work great, but I eventually got a balanced sub amp and don't use them anymore. There should be no quality drawbacks to using them for subs, and they are nice a cheap.

OP
S

Smytherines

Thanks guys. This has been a massive help. I'm excited I found some good solutions that are relatively cheap

Reactions: NTK
Top Bottom