• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Subwoofer with aut on/off + high pass filter or a mini dsp ?

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So you bought a sub that has no high pass filter and twice your budget? Hmm... ok.

to be honest all boutique subwoofers don't have high-pass filters, and the Home Cinema subwoofers expect the receiver to do all the bass management.

It's usually only the pro-audio world that usually has high-pass filters, and these are usually just as extortionately priced as the boutique subwoofers, but just loaded with more 'smart' features.

OP
gasolin75

gasolin75

Addicted to Fun and Learning
cVglg7g[1].jpg

OP
gasolin75

gasolin75

to be honest all boutique subwoofers don't have high-pass filters, and the Home Cinema subwoofers expect the receiver to do all the bass management.

It's usually only the pro-audio world that usually has high-pass filters, and these are usually just as extortionately priced as the boutique subwoofers, but just loaded with more 'smart' features.
I couldn't find any cheap studio monitor subs other then esi and presonus that has a high pass filter.

The B&W ASW 608 was for sale as a demo with 20% off (which i spend almost all of, on a taxi LOL), the cheaper argon sub 8 and 10 (danish brand) sounded unprecise not tight enough, they also have 2 bass ports under the the cabinet where the B&W sub is closed

Argon sub 8 is 296 euros sub 10 is 363 euros, i payed 403 euros , normal retail price is 497 euros, i have a sub cable but only 2 meters

I listen to the 2 subs and asked about an alternativ to the 10" argon sub and it was the B&W 608, i remebered the price right, i was lucky they had one 20% off the 10" vs the 8" no name brand vs the a brand everybody knows since the price diffrence was only 40 euros.

At the settings that gives the deepest bass i felt it was deeper than the 10" and because it's sealed it sounded more controlled until you really played some deep bass at high levels in a big room like Yello Desire, i could hear some very deep bass, it had to be adjusted, that track has some very deep bass (tidal or spotify)

Bass eq a bass extension b (-6db 23hz) low pass just a little higher than 50hz but not 70hz, mabye 55-60hz, in the manuel you can only lower it to 40hz, on my sub it goes down to 25hz (nice to have that option), yes i wanted high pass filter but i felt in the shop (hifiklubben) it sounded fine using argon 5 mk2 front speakers (bookshelf speakers) , full range no high pass filter used, volume on my sub a litte higher then 25 %, mabye 30%.

With a high pass filter i just think my missions will sound better, less excursion when playing loud, less load on the amp and better integration of the sub/front speakers, later when i have the money i think i will get a mini dsp

Link to argon (only danish use google translate if you want to know more) https://argonaudio.dk/collections/subwoofers

How good the bass is in the video comapred to tidal,spotify i don't know, but it's a dynamic track like all of the music made by yello

Ultrasonic

So are you liking what the sub has added to your system?

OP
gasolin75

gasolin75

OP
gasolin75

gasolin75

The cheap mini dsp with a mic ? The expensive for almost double the price ?

Or the dayton dsp https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/dsp-...oller-active-subwoofer-crossover-p-14463.html

I don't have an iphone so i can't use the iwoofer pro setting and it's only for the subwoofer but cheap but not when i have to buy a cheap iphone to use for the pro settings which include room correction

Any cheaper alterantive besides buying used ?

Any alternmativ to this from a store in europe ? https://www.amazon.com/Harrison-Labs-Subwoofer-Electronic-Crossover/dp/B00S8XY2W8

61jmF+-J1bL._AC_SL1400_.jpg

Last edited:

Ultrasonic

A miniDSP 2x4 HD is an absolute audio bargain for what it's capable of as far as I'm concerned, and I'd be much more confident recommending this over the cheaper 2x4 that it's not uncommon to find people disappointed by. In part how useful a miniDSP and a microphone will be depends how much time and effort you're prepared to put into to learning how to make the best use of them.

Last edited:
OP
gasolin75

gasolin75

I think i need one to get most out of the bass although the price of the sub and a mini dsp could get me alot better speakers like the Kef ls50 meta or mabye a used pair of the first gen buchardts

Why is the mini dsp hd better ? What can it do that the cheaper non hd can't ?

OP
gasolin75

gasolin75

try starting with 100Hz Butterworth 12db/oct. and seal any ports your speakers might have.
I don't think the sub can handle it (got enough power to be able to do such a wide range from 100hz and down to 28hz bass extension b)

I now have the foam in my speakers

OP
gasolin75

gasolin75

Smallest from Arendal Sound is only thrice your budget, but it has a DSP built in. Said a salesman but I'm a user of their slightly larger model and couldn't be happier.
no 4 times

I have though if it's possible to get a good av amp with mic, high/low pass filter and time alignement to optimize the sound, most av receivers is alot cheaper then the mini dsp hd + mic and can aut adjust the sound including time alignement, the foamplugs reduce, even when i don't feel any just using my mission with no sub, som of the boominess, fullness from the sound

A mini dsp hd + mic is around 350 €, a good av receiver is 150-200 €, they start under 100€

Last edited:

Ultrasonic

Why is the mini dsp hd better ? What can it do that the cheaper non hd can't ?

It's a mix if offering higher sound quality and more flexibility/funtionality. Start by comparing the details of the two on the miniDSP website if you haven't already. Let me know if you have any specific questions. I own a 2x4 HD but not a 2x4 but as I said, it's far more common to read of people unhappy with the performance of the 2x4.

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In addition to a better performing ADC/DAC on the 2X4HD another thing to consider is that the 2X4HD is floating point and the 2X4 is fixed point. It won't matter for a low pass filter but the 2X4 will have issues implementing accurate low frequency EQ. See thread below for more info.

Michael

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't think the sub can handle it (got enough power to be able to do such a wide range from 100hz and down to 28hz bass extension b)

I now have the foam in my speakers

it can don't worry about it.

the subwoofer has to move less (the accurate term is excursion) to produce higher frequencies so it's not a big of a deal at all.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just looked at your sabaj a20a. Too bad it didn't come with a high pass filter option for the speaker output built in, instead of the largely useless low pass filter on the sub out.

I say "largely useless," because it is very easy to find a home audio subwoofer with a low pass filter adjustment built in.

On the other hand, people would typically want to be able to integrate the subwoofer together with the speaker output and use the sabaj a20a volume control. So that would be preferable to using a subwoofer with a high pass filter.

OP
gasolin75

gasolin75

it can don't worry about it.

the subwoofer has to move less (the accurate term is excursion) to produce higher frequencies so it's not a big of a deal at all.
A sub has to move more when the crossover is set to 100hz and it's moving alot setting it to 55-60hz and playing loud, volume is set to less than 35 % , i know sometimes you can't get the best out of a sub if the sapce is limit (placement) thats why i atleast wanna se if i can get something optimize the sound, before i return it and buy better front speakers

I can't return my mission since they are more than 30 days old, the sub and mini dsp hd + mic is 750 euros + what ever i can get for my current speakers = minimum 1000 euros for speakers (have 2 other pair of speakres for sale and a mini class d amp)

Atm im trying to se how low a price i can get a 2012 DSpeaker Anti-Mode 2.0 Dual Core for (since they made a manual in 2014 i think it's because they made som changes to the unit)

Last edited:

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A sub has to move more when the crossover is set to 100hz and it's moving alot setting it to 55-60hz and playing loud, volume is set to less than 35 % , i know sometimes you can't get the best out of a sub if the sapce is limit (placement) thats why i atleast wanna se if i can get something optimize the sound, before i return it and buy better front speakers

I can't return my mission since they are more than 30 days old, the sub and mini dsp hd + mic is 750 euros + what ever i can get for my current speakers = minimum 1000 euros for speakers (have 2 other pair of speakres for sale and a mini class d amp)

Atm im trying to se how low a price i can get a 2012 DSpeaker Anti-Mode 2.0 Dual Core for (i think according to the manual from 2014 i think thay made a new version in 2014)

Let me go back a step here, the majority of sealed speakers have a natural low-frequency roll-off in the form of Butter-Worth 12db/oct filter, 6.5 inch woofers would usually have that roll-off at 100Hz.

So without any measurement microphone to measure the anechoic response of your own speaker, i feel setting the subwoofer crossover frequency on 100Hz would give you the closest you can to a 'flat' anechoic frequency response from 20Hz-20KHz.

index.php

OP
gasolin75

gasolin75

Just looked at your sabaj a20a. Too bad it didn't come with a high pass filter option for the speaker output built in, instead of the largely useless low pass filter on the sub out.

I say "largely useless," because it is very easy to find a home audio subwoofer with a low pass filter adjustment built in.

On the other hand, people would typically want to be able to integrate the subwoofer together with the speaker output and use the sabaj a20a volume control. So that would be preferable to using a subwoofer with a high pass filter.
Like zeos pantera on youtube mentions alot of times, almost no compact amps have a high pass filter, the 8 " emotiva sub i couldn't find in europe https://emotiva.com/products/airmotiv-s8

Last edited:
OP
gasolin75

gasolin75

Let me go back a step here, the majority of sealed speakers have a natural low-frequency roll-off in the form of Butter-Worth 12db/oct filter, 6.5 inch woofers would usually have that roll-off at 100Hz.

So without any measurement microphone to measure the anechoic response of your own speaker, i feel setting the subwoofer crossover frequency on 100Hz would give you the closest you can to a 'flat' anechoic frequency response from 20Hz-20KHz.

index.php

You do know a pair of mission LX 3 MK II are ported and rated down to 40hz -6db with a 6.½ midrange/bass unit (think many speakers don't measure as good as they are rated, especially sensitivity and bass something when the bass is down by -6 db), the sub has an 8" woofer and are sealed

Also when the crossover is very low to hear it you need to turn the volume up, and when it's high like 100hz and down the bass have to play a wider range where you might not need to turn it up to hear it as much as when it's from 50hz and down so both could be about the same load, excursion

Last edited:

Longshan

I couldn't find any cheap studio monitor subs other then esi and presonus that has a high pass filter.

The B&W ASW 608 was for sale as a demo with 20% off (which i spend almost all of, on a taxi LOL), the cheaper argon sub 8 and 10 (danish brand) sounded unprecise not tight enough, they also have 2 bass ports under the the cabinet where the B&W sub is closed

Argon sub 8 is 296 euros sub 10 is 363 euros, i payed 403 euros , normal retail price is 497 euros, i have a sub cable but only 2 meters

I listen to the 2 subs and asked about an alternativ to the 10" argon sub and it was the B&W 608, i remebered the price right, i was lucky they had one 20% off the 10" vs the 8" no name brand vs the a brand everybody knows since the price diffrence was only 40 euros.

At the settings that gives the deepest bass i felt it was deeper than the 10" and because it's sealed it sounded more controlled until you really played some deep bass at high levels in a big room like Yello Desire, i could hear some very deep bass, it had to be adjusted, that track has some very deep bass (tidal or spotify)

Bass eq a bass extension b (-6db 23hz) low pass just a little higher than 50hz but not 70hz, mabye 55-60hz, in the manuel you can only lower it to 40hz, on my sub it goes down to 25hz (nice to have that option), yes i wanted high pass filter but i felt in the shop (hifiklubben) it sounded fine using argon 5 mk2 front speakers (bookshelf speakers) , full range no high pass filter used, volume on my sub a litte higher then 25 %, mabye 30%.

With a high pass filter i just think my missions will sound better, less excursion when playing loud, less load on the amp and better integration of the sub/front speakers, later when i have the money i think i will get a mini dsp

Link to argon (only danish use google translate if you want to know more) https://argonaudio.dk/collections/subwoofers

How good the bass is in the video comapred to tidal,spotify i don't know, but it's a dynamic track like all of the music made by yello

Kali Audio has a sub that lets you pick from a multitude of crossovers.

Top Bottom