• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Subwoofer with aut on/off + high pass filter or a mini dsp ?

gasolin75

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have sabaj a20a and a pair of Mission lX 3 MKII with a topping E30 dac

I want a little louder bass under 70-80hz, tighter,firmer and a little deeper, despite being in the 40 hz range i often miss more bass

Not shure if i should buy a mini dsp + mic for around 200 euros or a subwoofer

A mini dsd, i have to use my topping e30 and them in to my audio input control and finally in the mini dsp that also has a dac

200 euro presonus eris 8 has port noise at high levels, esi 10s has a rectifier transistor that was faulty and it gave 22v instead of 15v. Because of it the opamps fried and this led to the resistors blowing as well. According to a thomann.de review (around 250 euros)

I want auto on/off high pass filter for my missions and for around 250 euros or less, no port noise or any unwanted noise up to it max spl 105-110 is what many subs in the price range are rated for

Ultrasonic

My gut feeling is that you'd be more likely to enjoy the results of adding a subwoofer, but in time adding in a miniDSP as well would very much be worthwhile.

I'll be interested to see what others suggest but I'm afraid I'm not personally familiar with any good subs in your price bracket with high-pass filtering as an option. So it's at least on your radar, I'll just mention that the BK Geminii II is a well regarded sub for its price, although it will be a bit more than your budget once you factor in shipping and taxes to wherever you live in Europe. You may get one in-budget second had though. It is a sealed subwoofer and so will have zero port noise, but it doens't have a high-pass filter or auto on/off feature.

Ultrasonic

I'll add that I did come across the following option earlier but I've not heard one:

Going by the manual it appears to offer a 100 Hz high-pass filter option.

This may be worth you Googling to see if users think it's any good or not. I haven't.

OP
gasolin75

gasolin75

My biggest concern is i want to optimize the sound when i play loud, so a 80hz high pass filter would give less excursion improve max spl, distortion and generally improve the sounds from 80hz and up (or down, the tweeter is inverted) to the tweeter, i just want to have aut on/off so i just turn it on an forget about it, never have to turn it on or off.

esi has a high pass filter of 100hz which i think is a little high and the presounus has 80 hz which is fine but one review say port noise at high levels esi good price, presonus is at a price im comfortable paying.

Im trying to look for subs, dsp, then cables i need, than speakers since that would be the most easy to do since it doesn't require anything than connecting them with the speaker cable.

Dynamic bass or super bass on my sabaj a20a isn't a harmonic option since it effects max spl and are limited to 100hz as i remember, it can do what a subwoofer or parametric eq can

Last edited:
OP
gasolin75

gasolin75

I'll add that I did come across the following option earlier but I've not heard one:

Going by the manual it appears to offer a 100 Hz high-pass filter option.

This may be worth you Googling to see if users think it's any good or not. I haven't.

Many small amps have a sub out but no high pass filter, for the best sound and integration of the sub,front speakers i think you need a high pass filter

2021-10-07 19_19_54-Window.png

Ultrasonic

Whether a 100 Hz crossover is OK or not in part depends on how steep the crossover is. I use a crossover this high by it has a 48 dB per octave roll-off. My bet is the sub I linked to uses a more gradual roll-off and so it may well be sub-optimal as a result. The manual doesn't help but I suppose you could ask the manufacturer.

I absolutely think a high-pass filter is a good idea. The trouble here is your budget and so it's a question of what is the best you can do with this.

OP
gasolin75

gasolin75

I don't feel like spending 500 euro on a par or 350 euro pair of mission lx 3 mkII.

I just wonder why there isn't more entry level 200-300 euros studio monitor subs with a high pass filter and almost no hifi subwoofer for the same price has a high pass filter, i think that the manufacturers of subs think 99% of all people using a subwoofer has an amp,preamp sourround reciever with a high pass filter and not so much a sub out as many cheap amps have like the sabaj a20a

Ultrasonic

For hifi use, bear in mind that high-pass filters on subs wouldn't be useful for people with integrated amplifiers, which at the price point you're talking about is probably what most will be using. I appreciate you are an exception but this probably has an influence on what is made/sold.

Let's see if others here are able to suggest any options that do what you want ...

escape2

Good sub with high-pass filter for under 250 Eur will be tough.

There is Emotiva SE8 for $300 - not sure if it's available in your country or what the price of it would be there. It has adjustable 60/80/100 Hz high-pass filter. Alas, it's only an 8" sub. I think I'd spend an extra $100 and get the 12" version (SE12).

OP
gasolin75

gasolin75

that's $299 i think it would be much more in europe if you can get one.

It meets my requirements, i just could find it in europe

Last edited:
OP
gasolin75

gasolin75

I bought a subwoofer

Last edited:

Ultrasonic

OP
gasolin75

gasolin75

B&W ASW 608 yesterday or last night i found a graph of many subs with the 16" thx monolith sub as the loudest most crayz sub at the top, some result in yello that meet the home reuirements and thx requirements, i was trying to find it but can't, i thinki i was a link i found in here.

I remembered as ifd they wheer talking about the monolith 16" sub in the thread i just can't fin the chart,graph, result of the spl test of the subwoofers

Last edited:

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
to be honest 6.5 inch speakers don't need to be high-passed unless you're listening 4 meters and farther away from the speakers. It helps for sure but it's not completely essential, you can just measure the (anechoic) bass response in the near field, determine the best crossover frequency and the LF slope behavior of the driver and configure your subwoofer to 'match'.

I'm still writing my rather extensive subwoofer integration guide but i will for sure talk about it.

OP
gasolin75

gasolin75

I bought it because i thought it sounded better than the 2 argon sub 8 and 10 and because of this video

I like the bass extension setting -6dB at 23Hz (position A) -6dB at 28Hz (position B) -6dB at 36Hz (position C) have it in position b

So fare 80hz low-pass, i don't tryst thge bass of the mission lx 3 mkII to be -6db at 40hz

Last edited:
OP
gasolin75

gasolin75

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I bought it because i thought it sounded better than the 2 argon sub 8 and 10" and because of this video

I like the bass extension setting -6dB at 23Hz (position A) -6dB at 28Hz (position B) -6dB at 36Hz (position C) hav e it in position b

So fare 80hz low-pass, i don't tryst thge bass of the mission lx 3 mkII to be -6db at 40hz

try starting with 100Hz Butterworth 12db/oct. and seal any ports your speakers might have.

OP
gasolin75

gasolin75

Is the spikes worth trying ?

escape2

So you bought a sub that has no high pass filter and twice your budget? Hmm... ok.

theyellowspecial

Forum Donor
Top Bottom