• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Subwoofer to go with Kef R3

Daka

Looks very good. Almost sold on a Arendal
(just need to save up a little).

I can relate to this. Even though I read (several places) that the R3’s were quite big, they still surprised me.

As a general thought, I think about 40x40cm is visually as large as I would want. I like that the arendal 1S is a bit slimmer, with a width of 31.5.

But sound quality is most important, so the criteria is not too strict.

I have R6c, KEF r3 meta, R3 and ls50 meta for back surrounds with two Arendals 1723 s1.
Best subs I have ever had, they’re very slick not in your face yet they perform superb - down to 10Hz in my room - MLP 3 meters away relatively small room - 16m2.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 257
  • lfe.jpg
    lfe.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 243
OP
nygafre

nygafre

I’ll try to resurrect this thread a bit.

Since the initial post I’ve replaced the R3’s with the R3 Metas (very happy with them). Have had the sub question on the back burner since, but as black november is approaching I’m ready to pull the trigger if any good offers appear.

Setup:
I live in an apartment with neighbours around. Living room is ca 20sqm, 5.78x3.32m and 2.7m height. My amp is still the Powernode N330, and not likely to change. This limits some possibilities for running RC or other forms of external DSP. But at least it has crossover management with high pass of mains.

Usecase:
+50% movies and the rest is music. I really enjoy a good movie experience (sci-fi), but I’m not fan of ‘too much’ rumble either. Also considering I have neighbours I really need to keep away from the super deep ported stuff (I think). I guess I need some form of taming down a few unwanted peaks?

Budget:
Preferably around 1K

Contenders: at the moment I’m eying
SVS SB-1000 non pro/pro
SVS SB-2000 Pro
Arendal 1961 1s
KEF Kube 12b
Polk HTS12

Rythmik is unfortunately not on my list as they are not sold in Norway.

Would anyone would recommend one over the others on the list?
.. and is there any argument for throwing all these out the window to get something more expensive? (If it means substantially improved performance in some way).

I’m currently leaning towards Arendal 1961 1s or the SB-2000 Pro, but ready to hear all opinions.

Last edited:

Steve81

Forum Donor
I’m currently leaning towards Arendal 1961 1s or the SB-2000 Pro, but ready to hear all opinions.

They seem like fair options, and both offer PEQ to give you limited ability to correct in-room response at the MLP. Between them, I’d lean towards the Arendal; its measured performance at AH is quite good all things considered. I’d also reckon either option would be adequate to tick off your neighbors in adjacent apartments if you were so inclined, so not necessarily a lot of point in looking at more powerful options.

Last edited:
OP
nygafre

nygafre

They seem like fair options, and both offer PEQ to give you limited ability to correct in-room response at the MLP. Between them, I’d lean towards the Arendal; its measured performance at AH is quite good all things considered. I’d also reckon either option would be adequate to tick off your neighbors in adjacent apartments if you were so inclined, so not necessarily a lot of point in looking at more powerful options.
Thank’s. Nice with a confirmation that I’m not missing anything obvious.

Edit: haha, yeah I’m sure I’ll get into complaint territory at some point :p

Last edited:
OP
nygafre

nygafre

Arendal and SVS are great choices.

My subwoofer comparison spreadsheet shows you the difference between these models.
Thank’s, awesome spreadsheet! Had a look at a few of the models on there. But how much should I read into some of them reaching down to e.g. 12.5Hz (or not)? I noticed the 1961 1s actually have recorded measurements at this point.

Steve81

Forum Donor
Thank’s, awesome spreadsheet! Had a look at a few of the models on there. But how much should I read into some of them reaching down to e.g. 12.5Hz (or not)? I noticed the 1961 1s actually have recorded measurements at this point.

None of the aforementioned products are doing anything of significance at 12.5Hz. Not something I’d worry about one way or the other.

OP
nygafre

nygafre

Some subs can reach that low…but at what db?

It’s all a matter of SPL.
None of the aforementioned products are doing anything of significance at 12.5Hz. Not something I’d worry about one way or the other.
Understood. Not a factor to dwell too much on then. And I did notice it was at much lower SPL.

Currently just a toss up between the SB-2000 Pro and 1961 1s. I’ll probably get the one I hopefully can get a deal on. Arendal doesn’t seem to do black november though.

StefanSweden

A while back I had a similar question as you, but for a more modest setup. I hve the Powernode Edge and Dali Oberon 1 and was asking for advice. My (or my wifes) demands for it was to be white and small :oops:. I was basically suggested Arendal 1961S, SVS SB1000-Pro or SVS 3000 Micro. SVS is quite expernsive in Sweden due to shipping (I guess). We live in a townhouse with one shared wall. Our livingrooms is 30 square meter (or thereabout). Eventually went with SB1000-Pro because how popular it is and the ability to use the app with PEQ. Its and enourmus difference in sound! For our use, we usually listen in the 70-75db region with occational highs in the 85-90db its perfect and I belive it can play even louder.

If you are not in a hurry Arendal has a testing out period of 30 or 60 days if I recall. Perhaps you can buy the SVS from a local vendor and order the Arendal and try it out and see for yourself?

OP
nygafre

nygafre

A while back I had a similar question as you, but for a more modest setup. I hve the Powernode Edge and Dali Oberon 1 and was asking for advice. My (or my wifes) demands for it was to be white and small :oops:. I was basically suggested Arendal 1961S, SVS SB1000-Pro or SVS 3000 Micro. SVS is quite expernsive in Sweden due to shipping (I guess). We live in a townhouse with one shared wall. Our livingrooms is 30 square meter (or thereabout). Eventually went with SB1000-Pro because how popular it is and the ability to use the app with PEQ. Its and enourmus difference in sound! For our use, we usually listen in the 70-75db region with occational highs in the 85-90db its perfect and I belive it can play even louder.

If you are not in a hurry Arendal has a testing out period of 30 or 60 days if I recall. Perhaps you can buy the SVS from a local vendor and order the Arendal and try it out and see for yourself?
Cool, that’s good to know!

Getting two at the same time to test against each other is definitely something I could do.. but I’m sure I’ll be happy if I just go for one too:).

SVS has gone up in price several times the last years here in Norway, so if there are any deals during black week I’ll surely jump for one.

Btw, did you try the SVS against any other subs at the time?

StefanSweden

Cool, that’s good to know!

Getting two at the same time to test against each other is definitely something I could do.. but I’m sure I’ll be happy if I just go for one too:).

SVS has gone up in price several times the last years here in Norway, so if there are any deals during black week I’ll surely jump for one.

Btw, did you try the SVS against any other subs at the time?
Same here. The gloss finish sales for just shy of 10.000 sek. Its almost what the Oberon 1 and Edge cost together, but it has made such a dramatic difference. The ability to high pass the mains and low pass the sub has taken the burden of the Oberons and they play louder and more relaxed at higher volumes.

I have not tested the SVS against any other sub.

Here is my thread a while back https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-subwoofer-for-music-only-and-high-waf.44169/

OP
nygafre

nygafre

Same here. The gloss finish sales for just shy of 10.000 sek. Its almost what the Oberon 1 and Edge cost together, but it has made such a dramatic difference. The ability to high pass the mains and low pass the sub has taken the burden of the Oberons and they play louder and more relaxed at higher volumes.

I have not tested the SVS against any other sub.

Here is my thread a while back https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-subwoofer-for-music-only-and-high-waf.44169/
Ahh, reading through your thread I remember reading it a few months back. Getting the Edge + Oberons from your wife made an impact at the time, haha (that is super cool).

As I see from both threads there’s no need to overthink the decision :) I’m eying the black gloss to compliment the R3 Metas. I actually used to hate glossy finishes, but now I kind of like it.

Top Bottom