• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Subwoofer to go with Kef R3

nygafre

I am looking for opinions on what subwoofer to pair with my recently aquired R3s. I have a Powernode (N330) as amplification/streaming.

What size subwoofer would be (most) suitable to match the 6.5in. elements in the Kefs?

I am debating the SVS Micro 3000, which is 2x8’’, and the SB-1000 Pro/non Pro version which is 1x12’’. I’m just worried that there will be a too large gap between 6.5 and 12in. elements, or is this no problem?

My plan is to have only one subwoofer, and budget around 1000$ :)

Last edited:

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Too much gap between driver sizes between your speakers and your sub isn't really a thing. So either option will be fine from that perspective.

mglobe

Forum Donor
Too much gap between driver sizes between your speakers and your sub isn't really a thing. So either option will be fine from that perspective.
+1 on this. Set your crossover at 80hz and neither the R3 or the sub will have an issue. If you want an alternative, you could get two Rythmik L12’s for not a lot over your budget.

OP
nygafre

nygafre

Ok, thank’s for the replies :). Then I am probably thinking something with a 12in element. I will check out the Rythmik asap. Is it really that much difference between 2x vs 1x sub?

OP
nygafre

nygafre

The Rytmik(s) looks like a nice option, but unfortunately it doesn’t look like it is available in my country (Norway).

mglobe

Forum Donor
The Rytmik(s) looks like a nice option, but unfortunately it doesn’t look like it is available in my country (Norway).
Bummer. To answer your question, yes two can make a difference. It allows you to better address room modes, can allow you to have left and right sub channels, and gives you greater clean SPL. Others can probably explain better than I.

OP
nygafre

nygafre

Bummer. To answer your question, yes two can make a difference. It allows you to better address room modes, can allow you to have left and right sub channels, and gives you greater clean SPL. Others can probably explain better than I.
When the time comes I can probably borrow my dads SVS SB-1000 to test w/ 2 subs. However, the Powernode only has 1 sub out. Is it an option to just split the signal?

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why not go with the bigger SVS brother, the SB 2000. I got mine on sale in November for $500. That's the OG version without their cellphone interfaced DSP. It will play flat to 140 hz, if you want to cross over a little higher, though I thing the ideal R3 crossover frequency is between 80-100 hz.

OP
nygafre

nygafre

Why not go with the bigger SVS brother, the SB 2000. I got mine on sale in November for $500. That's the OG version without their cellphone interfaced DSP. It will play flat to 140 hz, if you want to cross over a little higher, though I thing the ideal R3 crossover frequency is between 80-100 hz.
I will definitely put it on my watch-list. Only 500$, yikes.. costs a lot more in Norway! Looks like it was on sale in november here too, so I missed that opportunity:/

Last edited:
OP
nygafre

nygafre

You have the Arendal, 1961 1S should be better than the cheaper SVS models.
Looks sweet!

I guess there are many subs better than the lowly SVS’s. Just seems like a nice go to-option.
In speakers I generally know what I want, but not at all familiar what to look for in subs.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
In speakers I generally know what I want, but not at all familiar what to look for in subs.
CEA 2010 standard was created for such a purpose. It separates the boys from the men, so to speak.

See my spreadsheet:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks sweet!

I guess there are many subs better than the lowly SVS’s. Just seems like a nice go to-option.
SVS isn't "lowly". There can be more capable subs, even from SVS, the SVS Micro is just if you really need small, the SB1000 is the next step up, but ported models should be considered too. Don't know sub brand/availability where you are, tho. You have an Arendal?

Adaboy4z

Since you have Kef R3 buy a Kef Kube 12b. It's what I bought to match the Q150's. Sure there probably are better cheaper subs, but if you like same branding and its good for music.

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Looks sweet!

Since you're in Norway, Arendal seems like an obvious choice. :) Their subs have a very good reputation.

OP
nygafre

nygafre

SVS isn't "lowly". There can be more capable subs, even from SVS, the SVS Micro is just if you really need small, the SB1000 is the next step up, but ported models should be considered too. Don't know sub brand/availability where you are, tho. You have an Arendal?
Sorry, my wording was not very good. I only meant ‘lowly’ as in referring to the lower range of the SVS models. I believe all of their subs are good, and more than adequate for me.

Yes, we have Arendal:)

Last edited:
OP
nygafre

nygafre

Since you have Kef R3 buy a Kef Kube 12b. It's what I bought to match the Q150's. Sure there probably are better cheaper subs, but if you like same branding and its good for music.
Noted :)
Since you're in Norway, Arendal seems like an obvious choice. :) Their subs have a very good reputation.

Starting to like the Arendal subs. Cool with a Norwegian brand/manufacturer.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry, my wording was not very good. I only meant ‘lowly’ as in referring to the lower range of the SVS models. I believe all of their subs are good, and more than adequate for me.

Yes, we have Arendal:)
Arendal is very good.

ps Have you seen these reviews?

Last edited:

3125b

Major Contributor
With subs I find it's easy to take the driver size as a measurement for the overall size - it really isn't.
Grab a cardboard box and cut and glue it to size for different subs you are interested in and then see where you could place it.

This is still a 12" sub just like the Arendal 1S, but almost three times the volume and 2.5 times the weight:
IMG_0279.jpg

Here is a size comparison to help get you started: https://comparesizes.com/comparison...ndal-1961-1S-vs-12-Monolith-THX/1674470270454

OP
nygafre

nygafre

Arendal is very good.

ps Have you seen these reviews?
Looks very good. Almost sold on a Arendal
(just need to save up a little).

With subs I find it's easy to take the driver size as a measurement for the overall size - it really isn't.
Grab a cardboard box and cut and glue it to size for different subs you are interested in and then see where you could place it.

This is still a 12" sub just like the Arendal 1S, but almost three times the volume and 2.5 times the weight:
View attachment 259249

Here is a size comparison to help get you started: https://comparesizes.com/comparison...ndal-1961-1S-vs-12-Monolith-THX/1674470270454
I can relate to this. Even though I read (several places) that the R3’s were quite big, they still surprised me.

As a general thought, I think about 40x40cm is visually as large as I would want. I like that the arendal 1S is a bit slimmer, with a width of 31.5.

But sound quality is most important, so the criteria is not too strict.

Top Bottom