• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Subwoofer standby tragedy

Hmm. It sounds like the line level signal to the sub is too low for it to stay on. Have you attempted to contact Kef and get their recommendations based on your setup? They may be more knowledgeable than the previous owner. There may be a setting you can adjust in the app. Also, you could try plugging both RCA subwoofer outs (assuming you are only using one) into the Kube to see if that helps with lower volume signals.
P.S. the seller is the electronics store I purchased them from. They are the ones who said to try the sub trim all the way up, which I did not ever have to do with the old SVS set up. I had gain at 50% on old set up and now at 100% these KEFS are turning off unless I have the volume high, which will kill my relationship with my significant other :)

MCH

Major Contributor
Hey @Misterer I don't know how this Kef sub works, but what I have seen in my svs subs is that the signal sense just triggers high the enable pin of the power supply. If this is the case with your Kef, it would be easy to either bypass the auto sense or change it for a regular trigger input.
Again, I have no idea if your sub works like this, but it might be worth checking out if someone has posted a teardown somewhere.

Hey @Misterer I don't know how this Kef sub works, but what I have seen in my svs subs is that the signal sense just triggers high the enable pin of the power supply. If this is the case with your Kef, it would be easy to either bypass the auto sense or change it for a regular trigger input.
Again, I have no idea if your sub works like this, but it might be worth checking out if someone has posted a teardown somewhere.
Thank you, my friend, for the reply! Good news is that I am in the return period for these and that is what I am going to do. The new versions of this same sub have an always on feature (due no doubt, to the fact that others have had this issue). I will likely go with something else. My old SVS subs did not have this issue and the gain never needed to be turned up on the pre-amp.

Reactions: MCH

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Different subs have different input sensitivity for the auto-on feature. You just need to use a higher input level and reduce gain on the sub. You can do that either through the processor or with a Y-cable.

If looking at other brands, I can vouch for Rythmik having a very high sensitivity.

Thank you for the reply. You are correct with the y-cable. I took one sub out into a y-cable then into the 2 inputs on the kef wi fi unit and that did the trick. Things seem to be working well and I didn’t have to go through the hell of returning things, thank goodness. I have it all dialed in and running smoothly now.

Top Bottom