• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Subwoofer room size vs mlp distance

Pepperjack

Hi. So I have been a little confused about this. I have a small home-1200 square feet. 2 story. Lower floor is open concept plus the stairwell going up, 9 foot ceiling. However it is a small home and my mlp is like 8.5 feet from the subwoofer. I would like to be able to have great quality bass from mlp for both music and movies but prefer not to be forced to turns off the subwoofer at night because it is making crazy things happen in my girls bedroom upstairs. I currently use a svs 12nsd which is nice-can make all kinds of stuff rattle, but it seems underpowered underpowered and what I perceive as distorted often anyway (so inexperienced maybe I am confused though. . Been thinking about getting the monolith 15thx or something similar (might be forced to turn it perpendicular to mlp, in the corner)
So, I am confused should I be focusing g on a smaller size or smaller sealed and emphasize the distance from mlp or should I just focus on how much volume there is in the open space.

Tim Link

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
What doe mlp stand for?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
How did you choose sub location? How did you integrate it? Those might relate to your quality issues. Bass travels easily tho so you may just need to find a different position so as not to excite modes in your kids' room. One sub may not be enough for your volume but that wouldn't particularly change effects in other parts of the house...altho nearfield the sub might be able to operate at lower volume as far as the rest of the house goes...

OP
P

Pepperjack

How did you choose sub location? How did you integrate it? Those might relate to your quality issues. Bass travels easily tho so you may just need to find a different position so as not to excite modes in your kids' room. One sub may not be enough for your volume but that wouldn't particularly change effects in other parts of the house...altho nearfield the sub might be able to operate at lower volume as far as the rest of the house goes...
I am using Denon x3300w I really can only do it in two places. Left corner of the tv or right open air side. Tried both, corner seemed better.

Another Bob

Forum Donor
If your subwoofer is on a hard floor, or you have it on carpet-piercing spikes, you might want to experiment with putting the subwoofer on something absorbent/compliant, such as a piece of thick carpet or felt carpet pad. The "distortion" you hear may be things rattling, or the floor and/or walls vibrating in a less than high-fidelity manner. Decoupling the cabinet's physical vibrations from your home may also reduce the impact in the other parts of the house. There is a thread somewhere here on ASR where a member got a big improvement my laying a down-firing sub on its side, thereby reducing the vibration transmitted into the floor.

Senior NEET Engineer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
One technique is near field subwoofer. If your head and chest are within the nearfield of the driver, you will experience a 10~ dB SPL boost. I think the maximum distance depends on the woofer size, but haven't looked into it further. For my G25HP it's just 1 feet...

Further than that and the distance doesn't matter. In fact the subwoofer may be louder when placed further away, depending on the room modes, seating position, and boundary loading.

To minimize sound transmision, I would find a spot that causes a peak in the response from 10-30+ hz and EQ them down. These frequencies will be the loudest in a mix and also transmit sound through walls the easiest. Also don't place a boundary within the nearfield of the subwoofer.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am using Denon x3300w I really can only do it in two places. Left corner of the tv or right open air side. Tried both, corner seemed better.

Either make a change to the effect in the kids' room ?

Top Bottom