• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Subwoofer problem with low level connections. But high level seems to work. Low vs high?

citysoundman

I've got a Definitive Tech PF15 sub, purchased in 1995. It has both low level RCA and high level speaker connections. I've always used the RCA connections from my Rotel preamp. I also have a Rotel power amp, which gets a separate feed from the preamp.

Yesterday after changing some stuff in my rack and disconnecting and reconnecting cables, the sub doesn't work - no audio is coming through but I hear a steady tone (60Hz?) that changes in volume as I adjust the volume pot. The tone is constant. But it goes away when nothing is connected to the RCA inputs. FYI I don't believe the subs RCA outs ever worked - I remember trying to send the signal through the sub to my amp input to try and use the sub crossover and never got an output signal so I guess there has been an issue here.

After feeling kinda dejected with the lovely thought of needing to get this beast serviced I tried the high level speaker connections and it seems to be working. That's a relief!

So I'm interested to see if anyone can help diagnose what the problem might be. Perhaps I can try and fix it if it seems doable.

And also, what's the consensus on using low-level vs high level connections? Is one preferred over the other?

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
Bad cable or bad output from the preamp. Not the sub.
Low level will likely be lower distortion, but that does not matter much on subs.

OP
C

citysoundman

Bad cable or bad output from the preamp. Not the sub.
Low level will likely be lower distortion, but that does not matter much on subs.
Thanks for the reply. I tried different cables, also tried a different source (iPhone lightning headphone adapter jack, stereo mini to RCA cable, it was the most convenient thing I had) and no change in the problem.
Why do you think it isn't the sub?

OP
C

citysoundman

Then a bad ground in the sub. Broke loose from boutique too tight cable maybe.
Bad ground sounds like it. If I pull the amp out do you think it's something I can probably see? like a ground cable that's loose or disconnected?

Slayer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I've got a Definitive Tech PF15 sub, purchased in 1995. It has both low level RCA and high level speaker connections. I've always used the RCA connections from my Rotel preamp. I also have a Rotel power amp, which gets a separate feed from the preamp.

Yesterday after changing some stuff in my rack and disconnecting and reconnecting cables, the sub doesn't work - no audio is coming through but I hear a steady tone (60Hz?) that changes in volume as I adjust the volume pot. The tone is constant. But it goes away when nothing is connected to the RCA inputs. FYI I don't believe the subs RCA outs ever worked - I remember trying to send the signal through the sub to my amp input to try and use the sub crossover and never got an output signal so I guess there has been an issue here.

After feeling kinda dejected with the lovely thought of needing to get this beast serviced I tried the high level speaker connections and it seems to be working. That's a relief!

So I'm interested to see if anyone can help diagnose what the problem might be. Perhaps I can try and fix it if it seems doable.

And also, what's the consensus on using low-level vs high level connections? Is one preferred over the other?
Had this exact sub and your post gave me flashbacks. I had the same problems you are experiencing. Turns out it was the control board itself, they are cheap and start to crack. I replaced the entire board and within a year or so, same issues again. Also the RCA low-level inputs on that thing sucked, the input gain sensitivity was just well sh...

I ended up using the speaker high-level inputs that you are thinking about doing, and it worked ok. Although it never produced the output a 15'' should produce. Needless to say I ended up giving it away to one of my boys. He bypassed the internal amp and ran a pro amp on it.
I have some 10's today that make that one look like a useless product.
Probably not going to be the news you wanted to hear, but I wanted to be honest. By the way, the board I replaced was around 2002 or so, and it was $200 back then. So, if you're going to keep it, save your money and just use the speaker level inputs.

OP
C

citysoundman

Had this exact sub and your post gave me flashbacks. I had the same problems you are experiencing. Turns out it was the control board itself, they are cheap and start to crack. I replaced the entire board and within a year or so, same issues again. Also the RCA low-level inputs on that thing sucked, the input gain sensitivity was just well sh...

I ended up using the speaker high-level inputs that you are thinking about doing, and it worked ok. Although it never produced the output a 15'' should produce. Needless to say I ended up giving it away to one of my boys. He bypassed the internal amp and ran a pro amp on it.
I have some 10's today that make that one look like a useless product.
Probably not going to be the news you wanted to hear, but I wanted to be honest. By the way, the board I replaced was around 2002 or so, and it was $200 back then. So, if you're going to keep it, save your money and just use the speaker level inputs.
Thanks very much Slayer, so deja vu huh? :D
I might end up pulling the amp out, now I'm curious to see what it looks like.
But at least the high level connections are OK.

raindance

Major Contributor
I've heard those subs do the same thing. A hum and no other audio. It's not uncommon. It's had a pretty good innings though...

Top Bottom