• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Subwoofer Plate amp - PCB screws

Buckster

Does this look normal please - its on a Plate Amp on a subwoofer (that seems to have failed, it's own fuse instantly blows)

I'm assuming what is shown in the photos is something like an anti vibration glue - but on opening and performing an initial visual inspection the glue or whatever it is around the screws looked quite an odd colour (brown and bubbly ?) - any ideas please ? Amp plate is about 7-8 years old so could well just be normal aging just looked odd to me ?

I think originally (based on photos I've seen online) was a clear pale green colour

Attachments

• Amp-1.jpg
    Amp-1.jpg
    276 KB · Views: 126
  • Amp-2.jpg
    Amp-2.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 126
  • amp-3.jpg
    amp-3.jpg
    275 KB · Views: 112

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It is probably just a different kind of (aged) glue. The glue (or more probably a thread-locker) for the screws is supposed to be breakable to let you remove/replace the PCB. The glue for the caps is more permanent.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
My vote is for "normal".

And if you're going to try to repair it, my guess is a blown (shorted) MOSFET in the power supply, or maybe in the output stage. But as you may know, when a part shorts it sometimes takes other parts with it and it's difficult to troubleshoot when you can't turn it on!

Top Bottom