• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Subwoofer pair choice

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Did you get them?

Yes, my L12's are up and playing music!

Odds & ends:

All control knobs have little click stops to make setting easier. The feet are 1" round hard rubber. Cabinets have the "black matte" finish. It has a texture and is somewhat automotive in appearance. Definitely not a furniture finish, but for me preferable to the vinyl black oak. Rythmik gives a spec of 58 lbs shipping weight. According to UPS 49 lbs. Out of the box they are over 40 lbs.

I have mine set up alongside the mains to the inside of each main. This looks somewhat imposing. The decor is better if the subs are pushed back closer to the front wall, but having them away gets rid of a nasty suck out @ 145 Hz. WAF (if you have that problem) will depend a lot on location.

I have the L12's crossover set to 80 Hz and the high pass on my Crown XLS 1502 (LS50's) set to 100 Hz. Both are 4th order. This is highly room and system dependent.

My subjective and sighted opinion of the sound is the bass has far more definition than the single ML Dynamo 1000W. The subs sound totally integrated with the mains. They did not before. I am using a much higher crossover point because bass directionality is no longer an issue. The system measures differently with and without EQ. The difference is large.

Last edited:

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My subjective and sighted opinion of the sound is the bass has far more definition than the single ML Dynamo 1000W. The subs sound totally integrated with the mains. They did not before. I am using a much higher crossover point because bass directionality is no longer an issue. The system measures differently with and without EQ. The difference is large.

That is good to hear. I've been curious about the L12, but had not seen any testimonials of it yet.

If I actually used my bedroom audio setup more with my Q150s, I'd give the L12 a try and see how it sounds compared to the SB-1000 I have. Must resist the temptation to upgrade my audio equipment that is rarely used :)

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That is good to hear. I've been curious about the L12, but had not seen any testimonials of it yet.

If I actually used my bedroom audio setup more with my Q150s, I'd give the L12 a try and see how it sounds compared to the SB-1000 I have. Must resist the temptation to upgrade my audio equipment that is rarely used :)

You could buy another SB-1000.

More: I tried the single band PEQ, but it's easier to use REW for the whole thing. Also, there is output at 10 Hz. The Dynamo started rolling off fast at 26 Hz. It lacked click stops on the knobs, the response of the volume and crossover controls was extremely non linear in the range I needed, and phase was not continuously adjustable.

Reactions: wje
Top Bottom