• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Subwoofer Latency

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I received this from a manufacturer:

There is no wireless function in the [subwoofer]. If you run it with crossover out, there is no latency. With crossover engaged, and if you have a matching 24 dB/Oct Linkwitz-Riley high pass, the subwoofer signal is delayed a full wavelength at the crossover point compared to the high pass signal.

Why a full wavelength? That seems like a lot of latency. Does anyone understand this? I thought plate amp latency was in the 2 to 6 ms range.

D

Deleted member 2944

Assuming there's no DSP at work, group delay is directly associated with the filters used.

Maybe they have "wavelength" confused with "period" in their description? In a normal 24db/octave LR alignment there's a 360 degree difference between HP and LP.

Dave.

House de Kris

That's correct. A fourth order filter has 360 degree phase shift at the crossover frequency. And, 360 degrees is a full cycle, which is the same time as a wavelength.

D

Deleted member 2944

A 4th-order crossover has 360 degree phase shift (between LP/HP outputs) at all frequencies, not just the crossover frequency.

I was thinking more of 'acoustical' wavelength in my initial comment. Sorry if not making that clear.

Dave.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 2944

Edited my previous post to make it clearer.

Dave.

Top Bottom