• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Subwoofer Integration Question

Jefrpol

My system is currently a 2 channel pre-amp to amp connected via XLR (done to remove a previous hum through rca). My primary listening source is JRiver which I also use for room correction. I want to add a subwoofer and, to avoid possibility of the hum, have that connected via XLR as well. This leads me to t questions:

1. Assuming I split the XLR cable, sending the JRiver corrected signal to both a sub and my amp, would it be necessary to adjust the sub further based on REW or is the signal going to sub already 'corrected'? (In other words, would I need to set the portion of the audio-range handled by the sub to flat in JRiver and then adjust at the sub or would it just be a matter of volume matching?)

2. Is there an alternative to the MiniDSP products that offers room correction and proper sub integration as well as balanced inputs and outputs? I've looked at the SHD but it does a number of things I don't really need (such as its pre-amp abilities and streaming). Do other companies offer anything, perhaps something with Dirac built in?

Thanks.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
My system is currently a 2 channel pre-amp to amp connected via XLR (done to remove a previous hum through rca). My primary listening source is JRiver which I also use for room correction. I want to add a subwoofer and, to avoid possibility of the hum, have that connected via XLR as well. This leads me to t questions:

1. Assuming I split the XLR cable, sending the JRiver corrected signal to both a sub and my amp, would it be necessary to adjust the sub further based on REW or is the signal going to sub already 'corrected'? (In other words, would I need to set the portion of the audio-range handled by the sub to flat in JRiver and then adjust at the sub or would it just be a matter of volume matching?)

2. Is there an alternative to the MiniDSP products that offers room correction and proper sub integration as well as balanced inputs and outputs? I've looked at the SHD but it does a number of things I don't really need (such as its pre-amp abilities and streaming). Do other companies offer anything, perhaps something with Dirac built in?

Thanks.
I don't think there is anything cheaper and simpler than SHD except for the other miniDSP stuff like DDRC24, 2x4 or 2x4HD.

Marc v E

Major Contributor
How about connecting a cable from your preamp to the sub inputs and from the sub outputs to your power amp?
The sub should have a pass filter and an xlr out that passes through the whole signal or just the signal with high pass. Haven't done this myself, but should be possible in theory, as this is the core functionality of a sub. Might be a plus to have dsp to set a time delay. I would ask these guys: https://www.svsound.com/blogs/subwoofer-setup-and-tuning/75346755-understanding-dsp

Last edited:
OP
J

Jefrpol

Thanks for the responses.

I'm not sure the DSPeaker does anything different than what I'm currently doing through JRiver (though it would work with my analog inputs). It would be more intriguing if it had an additional output for the sub.

As for SVS, I had contacted them about the 4000 model. The XLR outputs are pass-throughs and are unaffected by the high and low pass filters.

A version of the MiniDSP 2x4HD with xlr outputs would be perfect.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the responses.

I'm not sure the DSPeaker does anything different than what I'm currently doing through JRiver (though it would work with my analog inputs). It would be more intriguing if it had an additional output for the sub.

As for SVS, I had contacted them about the 4000 model. The XLR outputs are pass-throughs and are unaffected by the high and low pass filters.

A version of the MiniDSP 2x4HD with xlr outputs would be perfect.

the 2*4HD offers digital output too via USB, just incase that might be useful to you.

Last edited:
Top Bottom