• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Subwoofer high-level input - any advantage?

HerbertWest

Hi folks, I was wondering if there is any objective advantage in using 'high level inputs' to connect a subwoofer to a stereo system. Some subs (like REL, or my ancient REL-built Rega Vulcan) have the ability to be wired to the same power amp's output terminals as the main speakers.
The main disadvantage I see is the obvious inability to apply sub-specific corrections via an external DSP.

FWIW, when I tested this setup with an entry-level Marantz SR6006, I did not notice any difference compared to the sub out of the AVR - but I am not a trained listener, plus that AVR's performance was far from SOTA stereo amps, so I consider that a useless subjective datapoint. Thank you for any insight you might have!

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The high level input is a legacy connection left over from when a sub RCA output was not present on most gear. For your situation the low level RCA connection is the preferred method.

Dennis_FL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
REL is anal about using high level. They claim it is the best way.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Use low-level, especially on a receiver. Otherwise you won't have any LFE effects for movies. Unless you send LFE to your fronts also....and they don't like that.

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Hi folks, I was wondering if there is any objective advantage in using 'high level inputs' to connect a subwoofer to a stereo system.

No, there is not.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
There are some disadvantages, like higher noise and distortion, the inability to roll off the signal to the mains (losing out on one of the bigger benefits of owning subs), having the frequency response modulated by the amp and interaction with main speakers, etc.

IMO - Don

OP
HerbertWest

HerbertWest

Thank you for the replies to this very old thread :)
Totally agree with Don: after reading the first reply from Doodski, and reading other docs online, I realized that there was no reason for me to keep experimenting with high level input.

Since then, I mothballed the Vulcan and switched to 2x Rhytmik F12, with bass management handled by Audiolense via RME TotalMix.

Top Bottom