• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Subwoofer for Wharfedale Evo 4.4

Harryharryharry

Hello!

Thanks to this site and Amir's reviews I've recently become enlightened and upgraded to a MiniDSP SHD with Hypex Ncore NC250MP Audiophonics amplifier. It's sounding excellent, but the clarity and room correction has highlighted a lack of bass in the Evos (rated down to 44hz only).

So I'm thinking of adding a sub budget <£500 now or wait and spend a few hundred more later.

My main use is music though it is also used for films.

I'd love and XLR input but they seem rare.

Having looked at comments on here and the spreadsheet comparison here are the options I'm currently looking at:

SVS pb 1000 (I can get for £380 which seems like a bargain).
SVS pb 1000 pro (worth saving for?)
Monoprive Monolith 10/12 Thx although not available in the UK at the moment.

Another thought was whether it's better to invest the cash in upgraded floorstanders? But I am very happy with the mid/high frequencies of the Evos and supposedly they perform as good as speakers a fair bit more expensive.

There's also a question of ported or sealed. Sealed is supposed to be marginally better for music however at my budget the sealed version might not reach 20hz.

All input welcome, and thanks to this forum for all the valuable info!

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
See my “subwoofer comparison” post. ;)

Can you wait a few weeks before making a decision? We’ll have CEA-2010-as data on the newly released PB-1000 Pro and SB-1000 Pro, soon, from Audioholics.

Last edited:

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
adding a sub budget <£500 now or wait and spend a few hundred more later.
Oh wait and do it right. OR if you feel adventurous get less expensive now and add another later. I'd also say to experiment with blocking the EVO ports (might integrate better to the sub) but I think they are bottom ported?
- We added an SVS SB-2000 Pro to a 5.1 Focal setup (936, CC900, SR900) and really like it.
- It has remote sub level control which is sooooo great. I guess a lot of AVRs have this but if your audio chain doesn't it is a MUST to to mastering variations, and also how your ears' bass sensitivity changes with listening level.

OP
H

Harryharryharry

See my “subwoofer comparison” post. ;)

Can you wait a few weeks before making a decision? We’ll have CEA-2010-as data on the newly released PB-1000 Pro and SB-1000 Pro, soon, from Audioholics.
I've been using your sheet thanks, it's excellent! I don't have the cash just yet so can wait a while

OP
H

Harryharryharry

Having done a bit more research and thinking I'm keen on the svs SB 1000 pro (main use is music).

It toesn't seem to be that worth spending the extra to get the SB 2000 pro - as far as I can tell you get more power and slightly lower frequency which I doubt would be used very often at all. So the 1000 seems best bang for the buck?

Am I missing something on the upgrade to the 2000 pro?

Koeitje

Major Contributor
If you want a real upgrade you go to two subs instead of a single 2000 pro.

OP
H

Harryharryharry

Hi Guys, having been pretty settled on the idea of an SVS SB 1000 pro, I've now come across the BK Electronics P12-300SB-PR, it would be great to get your opinions if you have one.

The SVS:
- will have measurements soon
- safe bet from a reputable company
- well reviewed
- compact
BUT
- I don't need the DSP (given my MiniDSP)
- The app would be a bonus but not that important
- I'm paying for their marketing, international distribution and a sales mark-up for the UK retailer
- Not keen on the black ash, got to pay more for the gloss which still isn't to my tastes/won't go with the Evos

The BK:
- the company says it goes below 20hz +-3db (unlikely to have an measurements though)
- well reviewed & respected brand
- not paying for international distro or sales mark up
- can get a nice mahogany which should go with the Wharfedales
BUT
- can't audition
- slightly more risk purchase
- fair bit larger

Thanks!

Last edited:
Top Bottom