• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SUBWOOFER for FOCAL ARIA 906

Xaviedie

Hello everyone, which subwoofer would be best for the FOCAL ARIA 906 to listen to music?

Then movie?

Thank you very much.

PS: I am French and use google translate.

NeoZs99

SVS in France is quite a bit more expensive. I inquired an SB3000 at Son et Video, and for the price it wasn't worth it, though maybe now it has changed. Maybe checkout Arendal too, which I have never heard but saw some quite good reviews

Willem

Major Contributor
Subwoofer prices vary quite a bit between countries/continents. SVS is often a very good buy in the US, but in Europe their prices have gone up quite a bit in the last few years, making them rather less competitive. In the Netherlands the KEF Kube series is very competitively priced, and measurements for at least the Kube 10b show good performance for the price (better than comparable SVS subs), including a flatter response curve. I would assume the same applies to the 8b and the 12b.
Please realize that you can basically have two out of these three: performance, size and price. So if you need a sub for a tiny but expensive inner city appartment in Paris, the KEF KC62 may be your best bet (at a price). If you live on a farm on the Dordogne, the Kub12b may be a better buy, or one of the big SVS monsters.
More generally, in many cases it is also a good idea to get at least two smaller subwoofers (and perhaps equalize them with Multi Sub Optimizer) rather than one bigger sub, since this gives a smoother response over a wider area, and a much tighter sound.

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor
SVS is often a very good buy in the US, but in Europe their prices have gone up quite a bit in the last few years, making them rather less competitive.

as a quick comparison, the SVS 3000 micro @1100€ is still damn good against a 1500€ KEF KC62, for instance

Everett T

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'd look at Arendal and SVS.
They're both solid contenders and Arendal should be priced competitively in Europe.

Here is the review of their base sealed and ported models. Both look very good their for entry level

Willem

Major Contributor
as a quick comparison, the SVS 3000 micro @1100€ is still damn good against a 1500€ KEF KC62, for instance
The KEF KC62 is of course an extreme case of a niche product: it is the smallest (and best looking) sub with decent performance for people who do not have that much space. It is full of innovative technology to achieve that, and of course you pay for that. But compare an SVS SB1000 or 2000 with the KEF Kube series, and at least at Dutch prices the KEF comes out on top. If you want more performance Arendal is indeed an attractive option if you have enough space.
Anyway, unless we know more from the OP, there is little more to say.

rcstevensonaz

I'm not the OP, but have the exact same question with the same priority (highest to lowest) : music > movies (decent listening volume / solid bass extension) >>> movies (very loud, massive LFE)

Front LR / C: Focal Aria 906, Focal Aria CC900
Surrounds / Atmos: <none yet>
Subwoofer (current): dual REL 5/Ti - piano white (8" woofer)
AVR: Denon X4400-H + Audyssey MultiEQ-X software; I also have a MiniDSP DDRC-24 that I could use to manage multiple subs
Room: 20' (front-back) x 14' (side-side); seating is middle of room; hallway opening to kitchen area

I originally purchased the two REL 5/Ti before I knew better (i.e., "more musical, high-level speaker connection is best"). But also because they were on sale that fit our budget, because they were in our main living room where the white finish blended in nice, and because the very small size fitted our very small apartment.

But we are now in a larger rental house, so I am looking at potentially upgrading the subwoofers. That said, budget remains tight, it is still in our living room (so white finish preferred over "ash"), and space is still at a premium.

Any suggestions on the following options, where most assume selling the REL 5/Ti subs:
  • 2x JBL 550P — $189 each : 10" woofer, 27K-150K (and a bit of cash after selling the RELs)
  • 4x JBL 550P — $189 each : 10" woofer, 27K-150K
  • 2x SVS SB-1000 — $499 - white gloss : 12" woofer, 24K-260K
  • 2x SVS SB-2000 — $499 - ugly large ash box : 12" woofer, 19K - 220K
  • 2x JBL 550P + 1x SVS SB-2000 — put the SVS near back of room, with JBL's in front
  • 2x REL 5/Ti + 1x SVS SB-2000 — keep existing REL 5/Ti subs, put the SVS near back of room, with REL's in front [Edit: added this option]
  • ??? <something different> ???
  • Just stick with the dual REL 5/Ti subs
Note: because of combination of Audyssey MultiEQ-X and the option to also use the MiniDSP, I am only focusing on subs that do not include built-in DSP to help keep the cost down. Because size of the subs matters more than LFE, I am only focused on sealed subs. Finally, we are in a rental house, so (a) I have very limited ability to "treat the room", and (b) this is an interim step and not my end-game.

Again, my primary focus is well integrated sound with the Focal Aria 906 speakers for 2-channel music and a general range of movies. But equally, since this is our main living room, the goal is adding better quality sound without turning the TV and speakers into the main visual feature of the room.

Last edited:

Willem

Major Contributor
Why don't you just add one or perhaps two bigger subs and equalize them with MSO? Three or four is almost always better than just two, and mixing is not a problem.

Everett T

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'm not the OP, but have the exact same question with the same priority (highest to lowest) : music > movies (decent listening volume / solid bass extension) >>> movies (very loud, massive LFE)

Front LR / C: Focal Aria 906, Focal Aria CC900
Surrounds / Atmos: <none yet>
Subwoofer (current): dual REL 5/Ti - piano white (8" woofer)
AVR: Denon X4400-H + Audyssey MultiEQ-X software; I also have a MiniDSP DDRC-24 that I could use to manage multiple subs
Room: 20' (front-back) x 14' (side-side); seating is middle of room; hallway opening to kitchen area

I originally purchased the two REL 5/Ti before I knew better (i.e., "more musical, high-level speaker connection is best"). But also because they were on sale that fit our budget, because they were in our main living room where the white finish blended in nice, and because the very small size fitted our very small apartment.

But we are now in a larger rental house, so I am looking at potentially upgrading the subwoofers. That said, budget remains tight, it is still in our living room (so white finish preferred over "ash"), and space is still at a premium.

Any suggestions on the following options, where most assume selling the REL 5/Ti subs:
  • 2x JBL 550P — $189 each : 10" woofer, 27K-150K (and a bit of cash after selling the RELs)
  • 4x JBL 550P — $189 each : 10" woofer, 27K-150K
  • 2x SVS SB-1000 — $499 - white gloss : 12" woofer, 24K-260K
  • 2x SVS SB-2000 — $499 - ugly large ash box : 12" woofer, 19K - 220K
  • 1x SVS SB-2000 & keep existing REL 5/Ti subs — put the SVS near back of room, with REL's in front
  • ??? <something different> ???
  • Just stick with the dual REL 5/Ti subs
Note: because of combination of Audyssey MultiEQ-X and the option to also use the MiniDSP, I am only focusing on subs that do not include built-in DSP to help keep the cost down. Because size of the subs matters more than LFE, I am only focused on sealed subs. Finally, we are in a rental house, so (a) I have very limited ability to "treat the room", and (b) this is an interim step and not my end-game.

Again, my primary focus is well integrated sound with the Focal Aria 906 speakers for 2-channel music and a general range of movies. But equally, since this is our main living room, the goal is adding better quality sound without turning the TV and speakers into the main visual feature of the room.
If budget is a concern, picking up one good sub to augment the Rels would be the easiest. The 15" ported from monoprice or HSU would be a good investment, the nod going to the monolith subs. Low distortion, good group delay, and excellent extension that can't be pushed beyond it's limits. Use the RELs as your mid bass headroom to even things out

rcstevensonaz

Why don't you just add one or perhaps two bigger subs and equalize them with MSO? Three or four is almost always better than just two, and mixing is not a problem.
Mostly cost economics . I believe all of the subwoofers mentioned at better than the REL 5/Ti subs. And I figure I can sell the RELs for ~$400 each, so each of the options above are within $200 over the amount I get back from selling the RELs.

Though it does occur me there is another option (I've added to the list): 2x JBLs + 1x SB-2000. This would provide 3 subs total, one that goes deeper (placed in back) and the 2 up front.

You make two points that I have been wondering about:
  • how important is it to keep all the subs the same, vs. mix and match.
  • how easy is it to integrate 3 subs vs. 4 subs into the AVR Audyssey and Denon's 2 subwoofer outs
But part of the question also is focused on which of these options (or something different) will have the best "seamless" audio integration with the bookshelf Focal Aria 906s and their 6.5" driver. Cutover will be on the higher end (70 - 80, or higher), so I believe the mid-upper bass range of the subwoofers takes on a greater importance compared with floor standing speakers that can take a lower cutover between 30 - 50. Or, is my understanding here wrong?

Doctors11

Hello everyone, which subwoofer would be best for the FOCAL ARIA 906 to listen to music?

Then movie?

Thank you very much.

PS: I am French and use google translate.
Do you have any way to integrate bass management and room correction? If not, maybe consider a sub that incorporates both. An example would be Martin Logan Dynamo.

Willem

Major Contributor
I'm not the OP, but have the exact same question with the same priority
Selling gear is rarely good economics, so I would suggest you keep what you have and use your budget to add one or two larger subs and implement MSO on your minidsp. Mixing subs is not a problem, see here for a good example: http://archimago.blogspot.com/2020/05/musings-measurements-subwoofers-to.html
For location of three subs, see here:
For equalization, I would use MSO with your miniDSP:

Last edited:
Top Bottom