• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Subwoofer didn't help fixing null. What do? (not buying 2+ subs) (presonus sub8 vs kali lp6)

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
The harman curve is what you want your in-room response to be, at least the starting point, and then EQ to your personal taste. A bit of a bass hump, then gradual slope, then a bit of fall off in the high frequency.

Note that this is a home studio for production/mixing, not a system primarily for listening to music.

OP
S

Slyman

You will find people who claim that, but not really. But 10dB is probably too much. I'd try around 5-7dB.
The harman curve is what you want your in-room response to be, at least the starting point, and then EQ to your personal taste. A bit of a bass hump, then gradual slope, then a bit of fall off in the high frequency.
Great. By ear a sine wave yields pretty similar results across the frequency spectrum. I think this is as flat as it gets before iterative EQ'ing which i need some more software for.

Thanks knowledgeable gentlemen. I bow for your help and salute you for your interest and energy in helping out. May your nulls be non-existent, your directivity focused and high SPLs be clean and free from distortion.

Have a great evening!

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
@Slyman The most important thing for your mixing isn't really whether your system is flat or not, but that you know and understand the response of your system. If you then also check your mixes in real world situations (cars, poor stereos, good stereos) - you will over time learn how the mix needs to sound in your system to translate well to other systems in general. If you are able to EQ it to what sounds "right" to you in terms of tonal balance, that is probably a good starting point.

radix

Major Contributor
You can find various listening targets in this thread:

You can put those into REW under "House Curves" in the settings. When you create an EQ, it will then match the response to the target, not to a flat curve.

Jbrunwa

Keep in mind that nulls are usually steep and narrow when you remove all graph smoothing. That’s often just a few notes on an instrument. So while it may look bad, you may not even notice nulls when listening to content.

Davidpurton

"Moving it around your desk"?? Single subs should at minimum be placed against boundaries (walls) and possibly corner loaded although the popular choice of reflex loading leads to more problems than it solves.

You could try stuffing the port which will convert the sub to a sealed of at least acoustic resistance enclosure. Even if you don't get better "in room" response you should achieve a smoother bass quality ...

Small rooms are not inherently the problem as long as you don't expect too much extension..in fact, as bass is a pressure source at these low frequencies it's not hard to work out where the problems will be. Obviously a cube with equal dimensions will have the biggest issues though...

The other problem and I know folk like quarts from a pint pot, subs need to be large...with large drivers to improve the air impedance match. To reproduce bass you need to push a lot of air and big drivers were designed for that. If you want proof stick a mini sub woofer outside and see if you can still hear it!!!

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I would make the response in-room flat for mixing purposes. Otherwise it will not translate well to headphones or speakers with no low frequency extension.

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I would make the response in-room flat for mixing purposes. Otherwise it will not translate well to headphones or speakers with no low frequency extension.

There's no reason to torment yourself with flat sound even though you're mixing or producing. As long as you know and understand the response of your system, and verify on alternative playback systems, it will be fine.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There's no reason to torment yourself with flat sound even though you're mixing or producing. As long as you know and understand the response of your system, and verify on alternative playback systems, it will be fine.

Your ears adjust quickly to these things, as long as there are no resonances.

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Your ears adjust quickly to these things, as long as there are no resonances.

You are free to listen with flat in-room response if you prefer, of course. :)

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Don’t mix work and pleasure ;)

The feedback I've heard is that studios with a harman curve-ish response reportedly translates better to other systems (including cars etc) - and that it finally sounds right and natural (as opposed to previous setups with flat in-room response). This makes sense sense if you think about it. Similar sound in both studio and playback environment.

And yes, I know opinions will differ. And yes I know all about circle of confusion etc. :)

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The feedback I've heard is that studios with a harman curve-ish response reportedly translates better to other systems (including cars etc) - and that it finally sounds right and natural (as opposed to previous setups with flat in-room response). This makes sense sense if you think about it. Similar sound in both studio and playback environment.

And yes, I know opinions will differ. And yes I know all about circle of confusion etc. :)

You don’t need to take anyone ‘s words for this.

Take a video of a song playing in your room and listen to that recording with your headphones.

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
You don’t need to take anyone ‘s words for this.

Take a video of a song playing in your room and listen to that recording with your headphones.

I'm pretty sure that doesn't say much about how someone will mix a track in a studio with a harman curve.

OP
S

Slyman

while you are at it, try with the subwoofer facing the frontwall (in the middle).
also try moving it up
This actually fixed my problem. Also phase at 180. Genius!
nice.jpg

I simply set 2 EQ at the peaks with -10hz in my DAW and i'm satisfied. Simply as.

Thanks for all the help you knowledgeable audiobros.

Last edited:

dasdoing

Major Contributor
This actually fixed my problem. Also phase at 180. Genius!
View attachment 289269
I simply set 2 EQ at the peaks with -10hz in my DAW and i'm satisfied. Simply as.

Thanks for all the help you knowledgeable audiobros.

Deep dips are often caused by SBIR (Speaker Boundary Interference Response). By positioning the speaker membrane close to the wall, you effectively align the phase of the reflection due to minimal delay. It's a straightforward solution I mentioned earlier, but people are hesitant because a reversed subwoofer doesn't look cool, lol.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I have a hole around 48Hz in my room. The left rear corner is open, the right rear corner is not.

I really didn't know the hole was there until measured, so not too worried about it for my purposes.

Neither left nor right speaker gives the big hole, but when they play together - with mono bass - the hole appears.

index.php

It turns out to be a cancellation.

The Phase measurement shows the left and right become 179 degrees out of phase at the listening position around 48Hz:

index.php

You might want to check on this area in your setup.

When the bass in the source program is stereo, the hole can disappear, depending on the different phase in the source.

For whatever reason, i don't seem to notice it, so, ???

fineMen

Major Contributor
However, when it is in corner i can hear (i have a good ear) slight directivity from bass.
You can't--it is something else you hear. You should get rid of the peak around 120Hz also.

fineMen

Major Contributor
Keep in mind that nulls are usually steep and narrow when you remove all graph smoothing. That’s often just a few notes on an instrument.
The instrument and the note played are anyway determined by harmonics as x2, x3, x4 of the base tone. A full series of frequencies. Hence the single suck out is no big deal.

Top Bottom