• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Subwoofer Delay

Wino

I have an outdoor system. It's underneath awning and will not get wet. I been slowly upgrading it as we spend a lot of time out there. As I upgraded my 2 channel, the hand me downs would go to the outside system. I now have a Krell Digital Vanguard integrated amp, Gustard X26 Pro and RPi 4 with picoreplayer. I have been using Definitive Technology AW6500s for speakers, but just bought (black friday sale) Dynaudio OW-8s. The bottom end on the Dyns are a lot higher at 70 Hz. So, want to add a decent sub. I plan to buy an SVS SB 3000 micro for bottom end, again black friday... But, getting it wired is a little troublesome, so was going to use SVS tri-band wireless or something similar. However, I'm worried about delay. The delay on the sub with wireless is around 27-29ms. Will this be significantly noticeable? If so, any thoughts on how to delay wired speakers to match? Thank you.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
A miniDSP 2x4HD can give up to 80ms delay per its GUI...

Analog or digital input, analog output.

1669738736173.png

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Generally, delay becomes noticeable (as a delay or echo) at around 30ms. But since it's 'just the bass' (not an echo of an identical sound) it might be OK. Sound travels at about 1 foot per millisecond, so it's like moving the sub about 30 feet farther away from you than the main speakers. If the sub is positioned farther, of course it makes the problem worse and if it's closer it lessens the problem.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have an outdoor system. It's underneath awning and will not get wet. I been slowly upgrading it as we spend a lot of time out there. As I upgraded my 2 channel, the hand me downs would go to the outside system. I now have a Krell Digital Vanguard integrated amp,
Krell in the garden :eek: :)

Top Bottom