• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Subwoofer Comparison

paulgyro

I can recommend the 10" Monolith. I have two of them and they deliver more than enough bass in my particular room. You would be hard pressed to find a better price/performance combination I think.
I've crunched the numbers on the 10" THX Monolith and it is certainly the highest value subwoofer on the market. It is strangely stronger then many 12" subs in the 20-32 hz range!

paulgyro

Monoprice just announced that they upgraded their Monolith 10,12,15 with a few enhancements:
1. Cosmetic refresh => Will look like 13" and 16" subwoofers now. Rounded corners (instead of traditional sharp edges).
2. Output enhancements => Added weight to magnet. This resulted in a 0.7 to 1.0 db more output.

Please note that the product ID's are different from the previous versions, so there's no mistake in ordering the previous ones.
You can tell by the name, which says "V2" in the title now:
Here's the new product IDs:

Will add these shortly. :)
And a $50 price increase! Most likely worth it though...

OP
sweetchaos

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Improvements:
- Added CEA-2010-A data for Monoprice Monolith M-10 V2, M-12 V2, and M-15 V2, provided by Monoprice.com

Last edited:

MonolithGuy

Audio Company
We did measure more output across the frequency range of around 0.7db to 1.2db on the V2 subs versus the V1 subs. However, I felt this is within the variance of measuring on different equipment on different days, so I posted the measurements for the V1 subwoofers as to not overpromise anything. The obvious main difference is their appearance, and I think these look better. I hope you do too!

fieldcar

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
@sweetchaos

New subs to add to the list.

Here's the vid

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I ordered the R12 (I believe) around the time Erin did-it was on sale for $169-I can't believe the performance of this sub for that price. Almost knocked some paintings off the walls during a movie 1st night I cranked it up.

OP
sweetchaos

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Improvements:
- Added CEA-2010-A data for Starke Sound S12 and S15, provided by Audioholics.com
- Added CEA-2010-A data for BIC America F-12, Dayton Audio SUB-1200, Infinity Speakers Reference Sub R12, Jamo C912 SUB, Klipsch R-12SW, OSD (Optimal Speaker Design) TreVoce 12 DSP, provided by ErinsAudioCorner.com

8 subs in total.

Last edited:
OP
sweetchaos

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
OSD changed their subs a few months ago....

I had links for OSD's "TreVoce 12" and "TreVoce 12 DSP" (both of which are now broken and don't go anywhere to the OSD website) since beginning of this year.
Looking at OSD website today, I noticed that the OSD website now shows a new subwoofer called "TreVoce 12 EQ DSP".
The website (link) describes the new "TreVoce 12 EQ DSP" and it shows the same in their manual. You can see the "TreVoce EQ DSP" on the back.
1635474949885.png

Now, looking at @hardisj subwoofer video from today, I see that Erin reviewed the "TreVoce 12 DSP" (as written on the back).
1635475001989.png

What this means is that Erin reviewed a product that is NO LONGER being manufactured, since it's been replaced with "TreVoce 12 EQ DSP".
This also explains why when you click on Erin's link from his CEA-2010 spreadsheet, it goes to "TreVoce 12 EQ DSP" as well.

OSD states:
*07/2021 UPDATED FEATURES*

Incorporated in the updated TreVoce 12 is the new native EQ. The native EQ has allowed us to extract the maximum bass extension possible from our design, reaching below 20Hz. This allows the full range of musical instuments and special effects to be reproduced.

Just a heads up, for those who are paying attention, like I am. ;)

Last edited:

stren

Forum Donor
We did measure more output across the frequency range of around 0.7db to 1.2db on the V2 subs versus the V1 subs. However, I felt this is within the variance of measuring on different equipment on different days, so I posted the measurements for the V1 subwoofers as to not overpromise anything. The obvious main difference is their appearance, and I think these look better. I hope you do too!

They do - I wish you just did more variety of finishes though :)

paulgyro

OSD changed their subs a few months ago....

I had links for OSD's "TreVoce 12" and "TreVoce 12 DSP" (both of which are now broken and don't go anywhere to the OSD website) since beginning of this year.
Looking at OSD website today, I noticed that the OSD website now shows a new subwoofer called "TreVoce 12 EQ DSP".
The website (link) describes the new "TreVoce 12 EQ DSP" and it shows the same in their manual. You can see the "TreVoce EQ DSP" on the back.

Now, looking at @hardisj subwoofer video from today, I see that Erin reviewed the "TreVoce 12 DSP" (as written on the back).

What this means is that Erin reviewed a product that is NO LONGER being manufactured, since it's been replaced with "TreVoce 12 EQ DSP".
This also explains why when you click on Erin's link from his CEA-2010 spreadsheet, it goes to "TreVoce 12 EQ DSP" as well.

OSD states:

Which means you can expect better performance out of the new "TreVoce 12 EQ DSP" subs if you are to buy them, than Erin's data shows.

Just a heads up, for those who are paying attention, like I am. ;)
I emailed with OSD regarding the differences between the two models. They said the only difference was the DSP EQ, no difference in hardware at all. The most one could expect to see is better, more linear, frequency response. The CEA2010 numbers shouldn't change due to the same driver/amp/cabinet.

Karu

Forum Donor
Would you know any of the subs that have speaker outs? The more budget the better. I remember seeing in the past at least on a Rythmik. I have an old set of Focal satellites (claimed -6db at 64 Hz) that I would like to reuse.

OP
sweetchaos

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Would you know any of the subs that have speaker outs? The more budget the better. I remember seeing in the past at least on a Rythmik. I have an old set of Focal satellites (claimed -6db at 64 Hz) that I would like to reuse.

There are two main ways of connecting a subwoofer to your speaker system:
1. Low-level connection: also known as an LFE, .1 or line-level connection. [This is done today.]
2. High-level connection: also known as a speaker level connection. [This was done in previous generations, but no longer done today.]

Most modern manufacturers aren't including speaker level inputs (also known as high-level input) in their subs anymore, since there's several issues with that.
So you'll have to look at several years old subwoofers, to see if they still have it.
The easiest way, it to look at the photo of the back of the subwoofer.

If you can find a used SVS SB-1000, it has high-level inputs.
subwoofer-high-level-inputs.jpg

My spreadsheet doesnt have this information, since it's no longer relevant in today's market.

Karu

Forum Donor
Thanks! I was hoping to find a model that goes the other way and has high level outputs. Line level full range or digital in + filter + high level out (for the satellites).

taisho

Forum Donor
An essential part of useful product tests is finding relevant test subjects. Erin's selection came out as a huge success. Dayton SUB-1200 serves as a budget reference. Still, it didn't have much to say against Infinity R12 and Jamo c912 that we had no prior measurements of. Jamo c912 becomes the top budget choice in Europe by far and now it's a tough decision if it's enough or we should spend double the price on Monoprice 10" THX Select from monoprice.eu.

It's also completely unbelievable how Infinity R12 subs are $170 on sales while the regular price is $500.

stren

Forum Donor
Thanks! I was hoping to find a model that goes the other way and has high level outputs. Line level full range or digital in + filter + high level out (for the satellites).

You can get line level in -> crossover -> line level out then use that for active speakers or add an amp. JL Audio E112 does that for example I believe.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
I founded this in youtube, the design its rare to my eyes

danzilla31

Forum Donor
We are. Piano black of the 10, 12, and 15 V2 are on the way!

1635443310514-png.3190477
I hear next year a piano black version is coming for the 13 and 16s? Is this accurate. All my gear in my theater room is freestanding and not concealed and aesthetics are important. 2 16 monolith subs in piano black 2 match my RBH speakers in piano black would be awesome!

Top Bottom