• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Subwoofer Comparison

Willem

Major Contributor
Did anyone ever find measurements for the British BK Double Gem? It has two 10 inch drivers and the pricing is pretty competitive.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That‘s what I was referring to.
Still, it's somewhat functional and affordable (it likely can be had for less with a little wheeling/dealing I'd think if not just periodic sales). I wouldn't call it a ripoff, tho. Rel I'd call a ripoff, tho :)

3125b

Major Contributor

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, performance looks a lot like the 99$ Monoprice 12" ...

... but sure, there's always worse :)

That is just ridiculous, the 12" Monolith THX Ultra was on sale for 650€ just a couple weeks ago.
Monolith would definitely be my preference in that grouping :). Klipsch will still sell a lot of these subs....many seem to buy klipsch just for the cone colors....

sonitus mirus

Monolith would definitely be my preference in that grouping :). Klipsch will still sell a lot of these subs....many seem to buy klipsch just for the cone colors....
Copper is proper. All kidding aside, they aren't terrible, usually.

Ogremic

I'm roughly at page 20 so sorry if this is already adressed, but I am browsing the spreadsheet and noticed a small mistake. If I will find more, I will edit this message.

Fluid Audio Subwoofer F8S has an highpass, as per the description from the mfg site.

By the way, great effort and resource.

For further flexibility, the F8S has a variable phase adjustment to fine tune the phase for optimal matching to your L/R monitors (0-180° ), a variable low pass crossover filter control (50-200Hz) and a 80Hz high pass filter (used with foot switch) for satellite connections.

DBA ndreas

Did anyone ever find measurements for the British BK Double Gem? It has two 10 inch drivers and the pricing is pretty competitive.
Take the XXLS 400 or the bigger BK brothers instead.;) In general I recommend BK electronic. They even build the subwoofers without plate amps and according to other customer wishes. I have four XXLS 400 as passive subs, because I wanted to do the DSP and amping from separate units. A great thing as I already saw lots of dead plate amps from several brands…

alaios

Do we have frequency response measurements of the rel tzero mkiii?

3125b

Major Contributor
Does anyone know if Dynaudio would/could implement working overload protection on their studio subs?
REW apparently thinks I need huge amounts of bass, and to be fair, FR curve is flat now down to the low 20s, but the little 9S sealed sub is about ready to jump onto the table, and frankly I'm scared it'll kill itself doing that. There are no audible issues, but the output is now similar to what my 12" THX Ultra is asked to do and the excursion is more than I would have thought possible given the short surround on the Dynaudio.

I remain impressed with the output capability of this sub, it's far better than the typically larger and ported 10" subs around 400€.
However for anyone considering it, be aware that the output is somewhat noisy, it has raised the previously inaudible noise floor on my monitors to "audible at 1m but not super annoying yet" levels. With most monitors this wouldn't be too noticable since it's still better than many monitors on their own, but for anyone sensitive to noise it could be an issue, make sure you can try it before committing. That goes for most sudio subs I would imagine, maybe I'll measure the quality of the output ... although asking questions whoes answer you know you won't like ...

martijn86

rating based on variance.png

Hey, I had this idea to compare the variance in a range of frequencies. Important to me was C1 (roughly 31.5 Hz) to 63 Hz for music and 20 Hz to 63 Hz for LFE. Colours are set from ~3dB or lower in green (remarkable even response, no EQ required), to ~24dB or higher in red (impossible to EQ, comparable to a steep roll-off). This way you get a good indication to what subwoofer has a nice, flat response, where it matters to you.

For music: =VAR.P($BL2;$BM2;$BN2;$BO2)
For LFE: =VAR.P($BJ2;$BK2;$BL2;$BM2;$BN2;$BO2)

Edit: In my screenshot, empty cell's give an error. I'm not an Excel guru, but hopefully you get my idea.

Last edited:

rmsanger

Cool! "Ground-breaking price" seems really silly to say when they are matching the primary competitor (SVS PB-1000 Pro) exactly. I always like to have more competition though.

Since I've heard neither product I cannot judge by the marketing materials/specs... The 10S Mk2 got a few great reviews for the price point but this is getting a sizable bump in price and size. I'm currently shopping for dual subs for my 2 channel (80% music/20% HT) setup and these are on my short list. Also considering the 10S Mk2, used Rel T9/i, Rel T7/X new, or perhaps rythmik (L12/F12).

I'm wondering if I should stay away from larger size subs and ported subs for my setup

index.php

3125b

Major Contributor
I'm wondering if I should stay away from larger size subs and ported subs for my setup
Depends on your needs. Bigger, ported subs will have way more output lower in the frequency spectrum. If you want or need that only you can decide. Same goes for size.

The RSL 10S MKII has decent SPL capability, it starts to roll off sooner than some, but with room gain a pair would absolutely be able to shake the furniture:
1674841400917.png

There aren't too many REL reviews, but the T7 for example is a toy:
1674842015934.png

Willem

Major Contributor
I would always recommend at least two (perhaps smaller) subs and some form of dsp room equalization. I have just recieved a miniDSP 2x4 HD to be used with Multi Sub Optimizer for the equalization of my main system. I am about to order my third sub for this system in an admittedly large room.

davlynam

I am running dual JL e110's with my .7 Maggies, high pass connection, and they mate seemlessly. You can't tell where the Maggies end and the subs begin.
Watch out for used subs, according to Audioholics and my own experience, the most unreliable thing in audio is the plate amp that powers the sub. Good manufactuers will have a supply of replacement amps (SVS, Rythmic) once they go, but warranties are usually no more than 3 years on new subs, and some subs will even require new drivers. (my JL's have needed new amps and drivers)
Also is it true that many subs do not seem to have high pass connections???

Top Bottom