• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Subwoofer Comparison

OP
sweetchaos

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Amazing, op! What a ton of work you've done - certainly helps collate the bits and bobs of disenfranchised spreadsheets I've found trying to research a sub for my room.
Thanks for your feedback.

So, I've read that multiple subs generally help to even response out in a room, but if I am looking at your sheet for my 5600 ft^3 room, I should be looking at a single 'extreme' sub. If multiples add to the total output, is there an easy way to generalize the possibility of reducing the sub size? ie, if I need a single 'Extreme', is it reasonable to use two 'Large'?

The cool thing about bass summation is that it’s frequency dependent. Well really, wavelength dependent. That means that with multiple subs you only get a 3dB increase for each doubling of subwoofers. But you really are getting a 6dB increase below about 30hz.

I've previously explained about how 'Bassaholic' protocol works.
Here are the formulas:
Small:
=IF(AND(25hz<103,31.5hz<109), "Small", "")
Small/Medium:
=IF(OR(AND(25hz<103,31.5hz>=109), AND(25hz>=103,31.5hz<109)), "Small/Medium", "")
Medium:
=IF((AND(25hz>=103,31.5hz>=109,40hz>=109,50hz>=109,63hz>=109)), "Medium", "")
Large:
=IF((AND(25hz>=109,31.5hz>=115,40hz>=115,50hz>=115,63hz>=115)), "Large", "")
Extreme:
=IF((AND(25hz>=117,31.5hz>=123,40hz>=123,50hz>=123,63hz>=123)), "Extreme", "")
You can literally recreate my spreadsheet by following the formula above.

So with my first point about multiple subwoofers, and the formulas above, you can calculate the output needed for multiple subwoofers, for your room. ;)

delta76

Major Contributor
The Monolith 13 THX Ultra is 1180€ at the moment and it's in a whole different league frankly.
The 12" that I got is still comparably powerful (10dB higher SPL at 20Hz with half the distortion and 3dB lower SPL at 40Hz, but again less than half the distortion) and 690€.
From the reviews I've seen so far sealed really only means higher distortion in the lowest frequencies, I don't get the appeal of that.
had the question other day - 2x12 THX Ultra or 13 THX ultra. roughly same price.

I could afford 1 12" THX ultra now and add one later, not sure if I should. The neighbor downstair would probably be unhappy about it

Biblob

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I just got the Monolith 10" V2. And dayum! How could people want more? This is already a lot

3125b

Major Contributor
had the question other day - 2x12 THX Ultra or 13 THX ultra. roughly same price.
In-room two subs will probably always be the better choice.

How could people want more?
I was debating between 12" v1 and 10" v2, with all models on sale I went for the 12" because it was only 150€ more. As I got it I immediately knew the 10" would have been more than enough :)
It's gigantic and very heavy, living on the 7th floor I dread the day I have to carry it out of here again.

Feyire

I just got the Monolith 10" V2. And dayum! How could people want more? This is already a lot
Depends on your room size of course, but I have two Monolith 10" V1, and I am also satisfied :cool:

Opal

Are there any Monolith subwoofers that has a phone app control? Very tempted to switch from SVS to monolith but the app is very important n useful for me. I dont wanna upgrade to a more expensive SVS model when a cheaper monolith can matches its output at 3/4 the price...

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
blown away that there are this many subs.
Me too.
Then again , those are very easy to make..
A full range or even a satellite (80 to 20,000 Hz) speaker? a much more difficult endeavor.

Peace.

warthor

I am trying to make sense of a few reviewer comments on Audioholics regarding Monolith Subwoofers. Maybe someone could help me interpret these comments?

Audioholics says "I can't help but evaluate the Monolith 13" in light of the Monolith 15". They do have a lot in common. Similar build attributes, similar performance targets, and some aesthetic similarities. But the Monolith 13" kicks everything up a notch. It's a significantly better subwoofer for a few hundred dollars more. In my opinion, it scales well in improvements for the added cost. You get double the amplification, a beefier driver, and a nicer-looking subwoofer. It's like a deluxe version of the Monolith 15" in that it keeps the same basic design and size but improves every other aspect including performance."
Citation: https://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-reviews/monolith-13201d-thx-ultra/conclusion

When I look at the measurements there is quite a bit of overlap. Why is the 13 far superior? Note that he is talking about the 15" V1.

Also, in the 16" review the review says "The Monolith 16” can produce more than 50% more output than the Monolith 13” while only having a 25% cost increase."
Citation: https://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-reviews/monolith-16201d

When I look at the CEA data I can't see an increase that size. What am I missing?

fieldcar

Addicted to Fun and Learning
When I look at the measurements there is quite a bit of overlap. Why is the 13 far superior? Note that he is talking about the 15" V1.
Looking at the graphs at audioholics, they are very similar, but 1800W-rms for the 13" vs 1000W-rms for the 15" yields probably better control and intensity during some cases, probably peaks. I'm not sure. I picked up the 13" as I got an offer on ebay from monoprice to grab it for $1211. After getting it, I really haven't been able to max it out with young kids in the house, but I don't usually crank it anyway. I kind of wish I would have just stuck with my 2X JBL 550P's + 1X SB2000Pro + buttkicker LFE. They are a good 80% of the way there, but taking up 25% the space. I'll probably keep it though, since I'm not spending $250 to ship it back.

warthor

That decibel is a logarithmic scale.
The 16“ Monolith is incredibly powerful, pushing the limits of what a single driver (that size) can do.

It has more and more linear SPL capability.

Looking at the graphs at audioholics, they are very similar, but 1800W-rms for the 13" vs 1000W-rms for the 15" yields probably better control and intensity during some cases, probably peaks. I'm not sure. I picked up the 13" as I got an offer on ebay from monoprice to grab it for $1211. After getting it, I really haven't been able to max it out with young kids in the house, but I don't usually crank it anyway. I kind of wish I would have just stuck with my 2X JBL 550P's + 1X SB2000Pro + buttkicker LFE. They are a good 80% of the way there, but taking up 25% the space. I'll probably keep it though, since I'm not spending $250 to ship it back.

Thank you both for the input. I can see now the 13" inch is superior to both 15" V1 and V2. The upgrade model would be the 16" as indicated by audioholics, though I still don't fully understand how a few db is 50% more output.

3125b

Major Contributor
Maybe this helps to put it in perspective:

taisho

Forum Donor
Seeing as Americans can buy Monolith 10'' at $420, there is no way I'm ever going to pay €600 ($696) on monoprice.eu. As if Danish Jamo being cheaper in the USA than the EU wasn't enough.
It was worth waiting a bit and I wouldn't be able to set them up before anyway. Bought my pair at 464 euros each. Minus 10 euro discount coupon for the newsletter. Now I'm waiting for MiniDSP Flex promo and I'm all set.

The sale price for the 12" variant is also very good.

Last edited:

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Of this (incredible) list, any honorable mentions re: WAF ? In my house, the order of preference is: small and high gloss finish. Examples I think of that strike good balance between WAF & output would be INKOGNITO, KF92, maybe SVS PC-4000 (in some houses, not mine).

stren

Forum Donor
arendal in white, sb3000 micro, kc62, sigberg wall mount/under couch sub, jl audio dominions or go for custom finishes, in wall etc.

I put mine inside a media unit.

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Has anyone here tested studio subs, like KRK 10.4s, JBL LSR310S or Yamaha HS 8S?

What are their advantages, if any?

Visually, they match your KRK/JBL/Yamaha, that's about it. Almost no "studio" sub is a good value compared to dedicated vendors like rythmik, SVS, PSA. although some (genelec SAM) offer other features which may or may not be valuable to you

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Some studio subs have a significant advantage though, they include a (often even optimised) highpass filter for the corresponding monitors, in the lower price range for example the subs of JBL and Kali.

Top Bottom