• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Subwoofer Comparison

OP
sweetchaos

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Improvements...

Added 5th source of CEA-2010-A data:
- HomeTheaterReview

A gentleman Brian Kahn has added his 2nd CEA-2010-A review at hometheaterreview recently, which makes it consistent and peaks my interest.
1st one was SVS SB-4000 (on Feb 18, 2021) and 2nd was Magico ASUB (on Mar 15, 2021).

Then, on Mar 19, 2021, HomeTheaterReview announced that they will be getting a SVS 3000 Micro in for review.
I've very excited about the fact that we have another source of CEA-2010-A data now :D, and also that we might have 3 CEA-2010-A measurements for the SVS 3000 Micro. :eek:

OP
sweetchaos

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Added 3 new models with CEA-2010-A data.
Data was provided by funkaudio.ca themselves, but I missed it previously, as it wasn't shown clearly.
These were the models: 21.0L, 21.0LX, and 24.0.
All of them are 'Extreme' rated, but they are completely overpriced.
It really makes JTR Speaker's subwoofers a bargain! ;)

I've hit a new milestone...we now have CEA-2010-A data on 300 subwoofer models. Amazing!

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Added 3 new models with CEA-2010-A data.
Data was provided by funkaudio.ca themselves, but I missed it previously, as it wasn't shown clearly.
These were the models: 21.0L, 21.0LX, and 24.0.
All of them are 'Extreme' rated, but they are completely overpriced.
It really makes JTR Speaker's subwoofers a bargain! ;)

I've hit a new milestone...we now have CEA-2010-A data on 300 subwoofer models. Amazing!

What 3 models are they?

OP
sweetchaos

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Improvement...

Added 'weight' columns (in lb and kg, separately).
That took the better part of a day...wow, it's not as quick to add information when there's this many rows. o_O

Inspiration for adding this:
- seeing how much interest there is about the new SVS 3000 Micro, the performance/weight ratio becomes an interesting point of discussion.

whazzup

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Improvement...

Added 'weight' columns (in lb and kg, separately).
That took the better part of a day...wow, it's not as quick to add information when there's this many rows. o_O

Inspiration for adding this:
- seeing how much interest there is about the new SVS 3000 Micro, the performance/weight ratio becomes an interesting point of discussion.

Does it help if you use microsoft excel or desktop version of Google sheets when heavier processing is needed?

OP
sweetchaos

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Does it help if you use microsoft excel or desktop version of Google sheets when heavier processing is needed?
I was just referring to the time it takes for me to enter all the data points.

But let me explain why I chose Google Sheets over Microsoft Excel...

Microsoft Excel exists on both desktop and as a web-version.
1. I could have created the whole thing in Excel for desktop, and uploaded it (say to dropbox, then shared a link for you guys to access, but that means you guys need to have excel installed on your device (mobile, desktop, etc), just to open it, which becomes a hassle and most of you wouldn't be able to view it.
2. I could have also created the whole thing in their Excel Online (aka web-version), but the functionality is limited in several ways:
- I need a office 365 subscription just to create this file and share with everyone. I think it costs CDN$77/year just to do this.
- If I'm editing a spreadsheet, and you guys are viewing it at the same time, then you're not seeing the latest changes, until you hit "refresh" the webpage. I think this was poorly executed by Microsoft as it should be real-time, like Google Sheets.
- I can create filters when I'm editing, but when you guys are viewing it, Microsoft in all of their wisdom, has blocked that functionality to you, which means you can't instantly create filter to sort the spreadsheet like you can right now, with Google Sheets.

Which brings me to Google Sheets (which is just a web-based spreadsheet editor). It's great because I can make a change, and everyone will see it in real-time (without refreshing). Plus it allows anyone viewing to create filters, which makes it easy for guys. This solution is perfect for my use case, and it has no disadvantages that I can see. Even all of the calculations are done by Google servers, so it doesn't cost me or you guys to use it. Plus, you guys don't need any special software to run, as it works on all browsers.

The wait progress bar that you're seeing when you open my spreadsheet is mostly due to the recently added "currency conversion", and that takes a couple of seconds to populate, but beyond that, this solution is working beautifully.

OP
sweetchaos

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Improvements...

Added 16 more CEA-2010-A subs, all from soundandvision.com (measured by Brent Butterworth).
I previously missed these, since I was relying on a system to find them that wasn't the most reliable, as I've found out. I've changed tactics and found the rest.

BG Radia BGX-S6B
Cadence CSX-12 Mark II
HSU Research VTF-15H
Monoprice MSUB-A122
NHT B-12d
Paradigm Monitor SUB 10
Power Sound Audio XV15
Rel Acoustics R-528
Sunfire Atmos
SVS PB12-NSD
SVS PC12-NSD
SVS SB13-Plus
Velodyne DD-15+
Velodyne EQ-Max12
Velodyne EQ-Max8
Wisdom Audio SCS

OP
sweetchaos

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Improvements...

Added subwoofer cabinet colour.
Options are:
-black
-white
-wood (wood appearance and texture, not made from actual wood, haha)
-custom (either mfg has the option of creating a custom colour for you, or they have multiple colours available, other than black, white)

OP
sweetchaos

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Found a discussion between SVS staff and Brent Butterworth about the CEA-2010 standard
From 31min:30sec to about 42min.

Brent said he loves the CEA-2010 test, because there's no way to cheat it.

Brent said "Any audiophile who sees it (the CEA-2010 results) can immediately understand the usefulness of it. And it's not abstract concept, since it correlates well to listener impressions."

Brent also said "A lot of manufacturers will charge you $1000 (that other competitors would normally charge $150) and they'll call it musical and they'll sell it on that basis. So Audiophiles will bash against the giant home theater subs and say that you need a musical subwoofer instead. But when you start to measure those subwoofers, you realize that they have nothing below 40hz." (paraphrased)

SVS also said they do the CEA-2010 measurements as well...but strangely enough, they don't publish it for the public.

Last edited:
OP
sweetchaos

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Improvements...

Added more PSA subs:
1 new model (TV1512)
34 discontinued models (including 15 of which that contained CEA-2010-A data)
S3600I
T18
TRIAX
V3600I
XS15
XS15-BASE
XS15SE
XS30
XS30SE
XV15-BASE
XV15SE
XV15SEICE-BASE
XV30
XV30F
XV30FSE

There were also 20 subs with CEA-2010-B (not CEA-2010-A) data, so I've added them to 'Others' tab, but not to main 'Comparison' tab.

carewser

I've got what I consider the best low-priced sub on the market at $350. I'd gladly compare it to any other sub under $500. I was so keen to buy it, I paid full price for it which I almost never do. It's the Audioengine S8 and even though it's only 8", it goes down to 27hz and puts out 125 watts RMS, enough to not only rattle the windows upstairs (i'm in the basement) but to get people coming down from 2 floors above to complain. Most 8" subs weigh 15-20lbs but this one weighs ~30lbs so it's pretty solid. I love it. My neighbors not so much

ronwan

Forum Donor
Just spent an hour digging tru my bookmarks.. found lots and lots of subwoofer brands.
I expected I found quite a few interesting additions, but after a dedup all but three were already included in the list:

http://www.tmaaudio.com/basso.html
http://www.wiener-lautsprecher-manufaktur.com/en-products&pID=8
https://www.powersoundaudio.com/pages/subwoofers

Will adapt my expectation and search for more exotic options.. there must be lots of subwoofers manufacturers out there.. I will find more...

onion

Brent also said "A lot of manufacturers will charge you $1000 (that other competitors would normally charge $150) and they'll call it musical and they'll sell it on that basis. So Audiophiles will bash against the giant home theater subs and say that you need a musical subwoofer instead. But when you start to measure those subwoofers, you realize that they have nothing below 40hz." (paraphrased)

Yeah - I got a couple of SB16s after viewing your spreadsheet. They are superb for music - just seem effortless. The best bass has been using these in a 4-sub setup controlled by miniDSP and matched to the mains using Lyngdorf Roomperfect. This is much better than 2 subs or 3 subs or using RoomPerfect alone for bass management.

Top Bottom