• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Subwoofer Comparison

radix

Major Contributor
I have had the PC-2000 Pro in my media/living room setup for a while now and only have positive things to say about it. It digs deep for movies and sounds good with music. The app gives you additional customization options and works well. I did have a failed amp about 2 months into ownership. SVS responded to my email on a Sunday and had me a new amp by Tuesday. Thier support team was top notch and the reason my next sub(s) will likely be SVS.

Thank you. I think my choice is between the PC-2000 and the Arendals, mostly for the looks of them.

I have some 3000 Micros and have worked with SVS support too. I agree they are really great to work with. I also have an Inkognito 10 for my HT and Thorbjørn Sigberg is also a pleasure to work with.

HooStat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I got the Arendal 1961 1S for the same reasons as you put it on your list -- it is small and looks nice in a living room. I am very happy with it. I think, for the money, it has great output, a great warranty, and a small size. I really wanted the Sigberg but it was just too expensive for me and, ironically, its dimensions just didn't fit my space particularly well (which is the exception, I am sure).

I would look a little harder at the ported version of the Arendal. In retrospect, for home theater, I think that is a better choice and it isn't much bigger or more expensive.

Opal

Jus purchased a SVS PB-3000 and have listened to it for 2 weeks now. Short review is, this sub is god dam impressive and has a much higher output from 15-35hz compared to my sb-2000 pro. If anyone has the space and likes subwoofer digging deep during movies, a ported one might be more suitable

theJman

Thank you. I think my choice is between the PC-2000 and the Arendals, mostly for the looks of them.

I have some 3000 Micros and have worked with SVS support too. I agree they are really great to work with. I also have an Inkognito 10 for my HT and Thorbjørn Sigberg is also a pleasure to work with.
I just spent a few weeks evaluating the Arendal 1723 2S and came away quite impressed. I know you're looking at the 1S, so not exactly apples-to-apples, but I image its capacities are very similar. Their speakers are equally good.

radix

Major Contributor
Usage question. Is there a way for me to save my custom filters so I don't need to re-create them each time I go tot he sheet? Or do I need to make a copy?

HooStat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Usage question. Is there a way for me to save my custom filters so I don't need to re-create them each time I go tot he sheet? Or do I need to make a copy?
I downloaded it and saved it in Excel for that reason. But you have to redo your filters each time you download it. It isn't updated that frequently and in theory, you might be able to save filters in Excel somehow.

radix

Major Contributor
I downloaded it and saved it in Excel for that reason. But you have to redo your filters each time you download it. It isn't updated that frequently and in theory, you might be able to save filters in Excel somehow.
Ok. I made a google docs copy, and was able to save my filters there. I've not tried updating it, but I assume I'll lose them.

Harbottle Audio

Audio Company

Daka

I've narrowed down my sub search. Big thanks to @sweetchaos for this sub list.

Does anyone have any thoughts on these models?

I am somewhat space limited, with a footprint under 17" wide and 18" deep. I also need something that looks nice, as it's in the living room.
  • Arendal 1621 S1 or 1723 S1
  • SVS SB-2000 Pro or SB-3000 or PC-2000 Pro
  • MartinLogan Dyamo 1100x
  • Siegberg Inkognito 10 or 12 (these I can fit turned sideways behind my speakers)
  • Rythmik F12 or E22
Value-wise, the 1621 S1 looks really good, as do the SVS. The Arendal also look pretty sharp. And the 13.8" 1723 is tempting. Of the SVS, I like the PC-2000 cylinder rather than some boxy thing.

I have an Inkognito 10 for my HT setup and have temporarily moved it to the living room for HiFi. It seems to be doing well, but it might be a little low on power.

I'm not familiar with the MartinLogan line.

I'll be buying two, so any of the SVS or Arendal 1961 are much friendlier to the wallet.
I have two 1723 s1 and in my room they get down to 10Hz flat. They look very slick and not in your face which I absolutely love.
(Below Harman+10db curve applied)

Attachments

• lfe.jpg
    lfe.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 152
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 150

kernelpanic

I have two 1723 s1 and in my room they get down to 10Hz flat. They look very slick and not in your face which I absolutely love.
+1 for the Arendals. I get -3db to about 13hz in my room. The SVS and Arendals are the only ones with app control if you care about that, and the Arendals are the only ones with XLR AND app control, that pretty much sealed the deal for me. And of course I have Arendal speakers, so that helped ;)

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Are any DIY subs included on the list? Constructing a knock-down box sub isn't too tough. Getting a nice finish is more of a challenge, it's true, unless you just paint it black etc.

Daka

+1 for the Arendals. I get -3db to about 13hz in my room. The SVS and Arendals are the only ones with app control if you care about that, and the Arendals are the only ones with XLR AND app control, that pretty much sealed the deal for me. And of course I have Arendal speakers, so that helped ;)
Which ones did you go for? 1723 thx towers? How would you compare them to other speakers you had.

One thing worth mentioning is they have incredibly low group delay - in my room under 20ms all the way to 16Hz. I believe 20ms is considered a threshold under where we cant hear it anymore. Perfect for music.

Last edited:

ribosradagast

Are any DIY subs included on the list? Constructing a knock-down box sub isn't too tough. Getting a nice finish is more of a challenge, it's true, unless you just paint it black etc.
From the original post:

Subs that I'm NOT including here?
-DIY subs. I have no interest in DIY subs, nor I want to include them.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

radix

Major Contributor

I have a 1723 1S on order, should be here any day now. I ordered one to try out in a few spots in the room and if it all looks good, I'll get the second sent out.

Daka

I have a 1723 1S on order, should be here any day now. I ordered one to try out in a few spots in the room and if it all looks good, I'll get the second sent out.
I had good coverage with single but only when I added second, beside helping filling few dips it brought real slam as well.

Top Bottom