• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Subwoofer Comparison

paulgyro

I can recommend the 10" Monolith. I have two of them and they deliver more than enough bass in my particular room. You would be hard pressed to find a better price/performance combination I think.
I've crunched the numbers on the 10" THX Monolith and it is certainly the highest value subwoofer on the market. It is strangely stronger then many 12" subs in the 20-32 hz range!

paulgyro

Monoprice just announced that they upgraded their Monolith 10,12,15 with a few enhancements:
1. Cosmetic refresh => Will look like 13" and 16" subwoofers now. Rounded corners (instead of traditional sharp edges).
2. Output enhancements => Added weight to magnet. This resulted in a 0.7 to 1.0 db more output.

Please note that the product ID's are different from the previous versions, so there's no mistake in ordering the previous ones.
You can tell by the name, which says "V2" in the title now:
Here's the new product IDs:

Will add these shortly. :)
And a $50 price increase! Most likely worth it though...

OP
sweetchaos

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Curator

MonolithGuy

Manufacturer
We did measure more output across the frequency range of around 0.7db to 1.2db on the V2 subs versus the V1 subs. However, I felt this is within the variance of measuring on different equipment on different days, so I posted the measurements for the V1 subwoofers as to not overpromise anything. The obvious main difference is their appearance, and I think these look better. I hope you do too!

Top Bottom