• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SUBWOOFER and BiAmp -- ADI-2 Pro FS R Black Edition vs ADI-2 DAC FS

cheapsoundguy

Hello,

I am considering the ADI-2 Pro FS R Black Edition vs the ADI-2 DAC FS.

I understand that the Pro FS R BE has two DAC chips, while the ADI-2 DAC FS has one DAC chip.

If my goal is to run a subwoofer plus 2 front speakers, is one of these units easier or better compared to the other?

What if I want to Bi-Amp the front speakers (splitting low + high frequencies) AND also have a sub? Is that possible with either unit?

Thanks in advance.

noremac_sound_noob

I also have this same question, just picked up the ADI-2 Pro FS R BE not long ago.

My assumption would be that you'd need a power amp (obviously) or 2 (for bi-amp), and you can probably put a sub in the chain (my sub can be connected by running left right channels through the sub, but I'm not familiar with everything that would entail).

My real question was if the ADI-2 Pro could handle the dsp portion of it (if it had the correct settings) for active crossover (with correct speaker hardware, whatever that is)?

f1shb0n3

Forum Donor
I had the same question awhile ago and my research showed it’s not really feasible to use ADI-2 for crossover therefore went with MiniDSP SHD fronted by ADI-2 Pro for volume, loudness and headphones. My setup with pictures at this thread.

OP
C

cheapsoundguy

I have been playing with the ADI-2 Pro for a few days now.

It is possible to use the front 3/4 headphone output (set to mono) as a sub output with a TS to RCA adapter. I use the main XLR 1/2 outputs to my amps for the 2.0 speakers.

The 3/4 and 1/2 outputs use a separate DAC chip and can be setup with unique features (eg mono, bass shelf, etc).

JRS

Major Contributor
See below:
1641954113105.png

noremac_sound_noob

I haven't tried this yet, but there are balanced and unbalanced 1/2 outputs on the back of the pro. I was planning to feed the amps from the xlr and maybe the sub from the unbalanced 1/2 out?

f1shb0n3

Forum Donor
I have been playing with the ADI-2 Pro for a few days now.

It is possible to use the front 3/4 headphone output (set to mono) as a sub output with a TS to RCA adapter. I use the main XLR 1/2 outputs to my amps for the 2.0 speakers.

The 3/4 and 1/2 outputs use a separate DAC chip and can be setup with unique features (eg mono, bass shelf, etc).
Although you can get it to work somewhat this way, my concerns are:
  • What PEQ would you use for crossover? Even if you can somewhat approximate it you aren't left with many PEQ bands for room correction.
  • There's no delay option for outputs in ADI-2, you need it for ideal sub integration.
  • Volume control will be a chore - you will have to change the "ratio" between the outputs and then change them simultaneously. If you press the volume put button and switch to one of the outputs and change volume then it's all messed up. Convenience is the most important factor for any setup, this is a deal breaker for me.

OP
C

cheapsoundguy

I haven't tried this yet, but there are balanced and unbalanced 1/2 outputs on the back of the pro. I was planning to feed the amps from the xlr and maybe the sub from the unbalanced 1/2 out?

That works, but you will have to mono-sum the unbalanced 1/2 somehow assuming your sub expects LFE RCA input.

Or you can mono-sum the 3/4 headphone output (line voltage) via the RME internal DSP, and use a single RCA to sub output that way.

noremac_sound_noob

That works, but you will have to mono-sum the unbalanced 1/2 somehow assuming your sub expects LFE RCA input.

Or you can mono-sum the 3/4 headphone output (line voltage) via the RME internal DSP, and use a single RCA to sub output that way.
Even if the sub supports both LFE and L/R inputs? Or is LFE preferable to the L/R inputs?

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have the DAC (not the FS version, either). I’m wondering if I could preserve the dynamic loudness feature of the RME while still using managed subwoofers and convolution? It seems like I’d have to engage another ADC-DAC stage..? I can do the convolution in Roon, btw.

f1shb0n3

Forum Donor
I have the DAC (not the FS version, either). I’m wondering if I could preserve the dynamic loudness feature of the RME while still using managed subwoofers and convolution? It seems like I’d have to engage another ADC-DAC stage..? I can do the convolution in Roon, btw.
I was faced with the same dilemma awhile ago - did ADI-2 DAC XLR to MiniDSP SHD’s ADC input for awhile and it was all good. Eventually got bugged by the fact I had an additional DAC+ADC in the chain and replaced with ADI-2 Pro for its digital outs. Convinced myself I heard a difference, but it was most likely imagined, SHD has good ADC that should be transparent to our hearing.
Check out my thread for more info: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...mprove-my-office-desk-audiophile-setup.24652/

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I was faced with the same dilemma awhile ago - did ADI-2 DAC XLR to MiniDSP SHD’s ADC input for awhile and it was all good. Eventually got bugged by the fact I had an additional DAC+ADC in the chain and replaced with ADI-2 Pro for its digital outs. Convinced myself I heard a difference, but it was most likely imagined, SHD has good ADC that should be transparent to our hearing.
Check out my thread for more info: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...mprove-my-office-desk-audiophile-setup.24652/
Fixed volume from the ADI, volume controlled on SHD?

McGillroy

C53B05B4-AF79-460A-9BF8-A6CDD212F24F.jpeg

…coming fall 22. Four outputs, individually EQ’able. 4493 based afaik but not sure.

Top Bottom