• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Subwoofer Advice ~2600 USD

concorde1

I have March Sointuva speakers on the way.

In the near future I want to purchase a couple of subwoofers to fill in the low frequencies and take the load off the Sointuva's.

• Max budget is about 5200 USD for the pair of subs.
• No size limits for the subs.
• My room is about: 13 ft * 15 ft * 11 ft (l*w*h)
• For both music and movies.
• I don't mind waiting for stock, as it will be a while before I purchase anyway.
• Must be available in New Zealand or able to be shipped there.
• My general observation is that enthusiast subwoofers cost more than enthusiast speakers, when I consider than I'm purchasing a pair of subwoofers. I find this counterintuitive because a sub is just a box with one driver in it and some DSP, compared to speakers which seem more complicated. Of course, subs are large = more material and more expensive drivers.

Some I'm considering are:

• 2x Rythmik FV15HP (if I can find them in New Zealand)
• 2x Arendal 1723 Subwoofer 1V [5750 USD total including ship and tax]

More dubiously considering:

• 2x Perlisten D12S [8700 USD total in New Zealand]
• 2x SVS PB-3000 [5600 USD total in New Zealand]
• 2x SVS PB-4000 [7800 USD total in New Zealand]
• JL

However I am very put off Perlisten when I consider that for the S4b bookshelf speaker (8700 USD in NZ), the price is FURTHER INCREASED BY 1700 USD just to change the finish. This is ridiculous. I don't think I want to buy from a company that charges the price of say, a fantastic subwoofer, just to make their speakers look different.

I personally also don't like the look of the SVS subs.

Everything I listed above is out of budget and the cheaper subs that are available, like SVS PB-2000 or 1000 seem like a compromise - but for the price I'm paying, 5200 USD for pair, I don't expect compromise.

So, what is out there for sale? :)

Zedly

Forum Donor
You should take a look at Monoprice's Monolith line of subwoofers. They have a lot of good output at a very reasonable price.

Slayer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
So, what is out there for sale?
Well, with the small space you have listed. A JTR would make you feel the pain. I'm sure you can work out shipping with them. I've seen them pretty much shipped around the world.

Captivator 4000ULF

Voo

doesnt svs subs have a cool phone app now where u can adjust on the fly via your phone.....thats dope....i would look into that

levimax

Major Contributor
I just got a pair of SB-3000 subs in the piano back finish and am happy with them and think they look OK (for a box). I am surprised they cost double in NZ as I got both delivered with the upgraded finish for $2,500 USD. Is there duty in NZ? Seems like shipping should not be $2,500. Maybe you can buy in US and have seller arrange shipping?

One thing to be aware of. The built in DSP / phone app works quite well and is helpful BUT the DSP causes ~6 ms delay. If you are not using full DSP to integrate with your system this could cause problems. In my case I have the 2 subs on the sides of the room closer to the LP so it worked out but it won't in all cases.

OP
concorde1

concorde1

Well, with the small space you have listed. A JTR would make you feel the pain. I'm sure you can work out shipping with them. I've seen them pretty much shipped around the world.

Captivator 4000ULF

I really want a pair of subs not a single.
You can go easily with arendal, it is a solid choice, you will be satisfied
Still, I don't want to waste 1000USD on shipping and pay 15% tax for import.
I just got a pair of SB-3000 subs in the piano back finish and am happy with them and think they look OK (for a box). I am surprised they cost double in NZ as I got both delivered with the upgraded finish for $2,500 USD. Is there duty in NZ? Seems like shipping should not be $2,500. Maybe you can buy in US and have seller arrange shipping?
Well in the NZ stores, a pair sells for 5600 USD (converted). That's in the standard finish. I don't know why it's so much more. Part can be attributed to shipping and duty, but more than double . . . really!

JL is only in one store here and the store marks all their stuff up so it's a no go.

A plus for Perlisten D12S is that the markup in NZ is not too much. But it's still really expensive. I could get one for now and get another in the future.

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
for the price I'm paying, 5200 USD for pair, I don't expect compromise.
Certainly not much ha ha. Some observations/thoughts/mental fluff:
- Are you open to DIY? or not really?
We have an SVS SB-2000 Pro we quite like. Now, as a loudspeaker engineer I know that when a cone moves forward the enclosure moves backward, "equal and oppsite reaction" and Newton and all that. Nevertheless I was quite shocked HOW MUCH rocking and motion there is.
- Sure makes me favor dual-opposed designs, which there aren't a lot of though.
- For that and many other acoustic reasons, also favor lots of cone area moving little. 18s at least. Especially if you don't have much restriction about size.
- I don't like downward facing due to gravity, which inevitably will pull the cone down.
- For reproducing low frequency effects you need something tuned very low or perhaps a sealed design.

FeddyLost

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Check out Martin Logan Dynamo 1600X.
They might be enough for you if you don't need superior clarity in 20th hz at THX level.
But they are DSPd and so might induce delay...

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I have been very happy with my Rythmik subwoofers. Brian and Enrico are great (as is the rest of the crew) and the subs perform very well. My first pair is still working well 12+ years after I got them -- they are still in my media room, along with a newer pair for the rear (and another upstairs).

enioentity

I like best bang for the buck and would go either double svs 3000 or double monoliths thx 13(that would rock your house foundations)!

morpheusX

Can you go DIY?
A pair of B&C 21ds115-8 (available in NZ), and 2 plate amps Hypex FA502 or FA503 should be around 2000-2500$.
Any local woodworker would be able to do 2 boxes with "high-end" finish.

A pair of these would beat any regular comercial sub.

A detailed review in data-bass.com

OP
concorde1

concorde1

Can you go DIY?
A pair of B&C 21ds115-8 (available in NZ), and 2 plate amps Hypex FA502 or FA503 should be around 2000-2500$.
Any local woodworker would be able to do 2 boxes with "high-end" finish.

A pair of these would beat any regular comercial sub.

A detailed review in data-bass.com
Having just finished building my stereo amplifier, yes, I am willing to do DIY.

However, I don't know how I go about designing the box. I assume thick HDF or baltic birch on the inside, then a nice veneer on the outside?

I assume it's more complicated than just a sturdy box with a hole in it for the driver.

I want user-selected crossover frequency.

Is a 21" driver necessary? :)

What about a top of the line 15" driver?

The aim is excellent neutrality and low distortion, like a D15S.

audio2920

Focal Sub 12 maybe?

Budget is healthy but still depends where you want to compromise of course (Looks, features, LF extension, SPL capability...?)

Edit: But, I reckon the Arendal is gonna be good. Haven't heard it but some variant of that sub is on my wish list for my next home setup.

Last edited:

morpheusX

yes, I am willing to do DIY.

However, I don't know how I go about designing the box. I assume thick HDF or baltic birch on the inside, then a nice veneer on the outside?

I assume it's more complicated than just a sturdy box with a hole in it for the driver.

Actually, for a sealed sub, its actually that simple, you just need to use a speaker designing software like WinISD or BassBoxPro, and use the driver T/S parameters to select the proper volume for the box. As long as the box is well braced, you use a double baffle, then yes, you just need a solid, well braced box, with a nice veneer outside.

These are mine, without the driver ( BMS 18N862):

wXYubqA.png

nDa7lxz.png

I want user-selected crossover frequency.
The Hypex DSP should have all features anyone need.
Or you can use an external amplifier, and select one with a DSP with the functionalities you need.

Is a 21" driver necessary? :)
What about a top of the line 15" driver?

The bigger the better, i.e. it will provide more bang for the buck, so just go for the maximum size that you're able to support.

The aim is excellent neutrality and low distortion, like a D15S.
Spend some time on data-bass.com, you will be able to compare tons of drivers, with all measures you need for an informed decision.
Please don't fall for marketing, 2 of the B&C 21" subwoofers will have incomparable less distortion than the D15S.

The only caveat with DIY, is that it doesn't have resell value, but if you go DIY, you will never go back to a comercial subwoofer.

OP
concorde1

concorde1

The only caveat with DIY, is that it doesn't have resell value, but if you go DIY, you will never go back to a comercial subwoofer.
Thanks for your advice. I started a new thread to weigh up options between DIY and commercial and get some ideas for building.

aschen

2 ultimax 18" flat packs, minidsp flex, and high power amp of choice could turn that sized room into a hyperbaric torture chamber. Maybe $2500 stateside and a fun straightforward diy project. Extraordinary overkill, but why not I suppose

Integration and flexible dsp is the key to good sub sound imho

Willem

Major Contributor
That is really a pretty small room, and certainly for big subs. Perhaps you should consider four smaller ones, and certainly budget and plan for dsp eq like Multi Sub Optimizer.

hdkeith

I have March Sointuva speakers on the way.

In the near future I want to purchase a couple of subwoofers to fill in the low frequencies and take the load off the Sointuva's.

• Max budget is about 5200 USD for the pair of subs.
• No size limits for the subs.
• My room is about: 13 ft * 15 ft * 11 ft (l*w*h)
• For both music and movies.
• I don't mind waiting for stock, as it will be a while before I purchase anyway.
• Must be available in New Zealand or able to be shipped there.
• My general observation is that enthusiast subwoofers cost more than enthusiast speakers, when I consider than I'm purchasing a pair of subwoofers. I find this counterintuitive because a sub is just a box with one driver in it and some DSP, compared to speakers which seem more complicated. Of course, subs are large = more material and more expensive drivers.

Some I'm considering are:

• 2x Rythmik FV15HP (if I can find them in New Zealand)
• 2x Arendal 1723 Subwoofer 1V [5750 USD total including ship and tax]

More dubiously considering:

• 2x Perlisten D12S [8700 USD total in New Zealand]
• 2x SVS PB-3000 [5600 USD total in New Zealand]
• 2x SVS PB-4000 [7800 USD total in New Zealand]
• JL

However I am very put off Perlisten when I consider that for the S4b bookshelf speaker (8700 USD in NZ), the price is FURTHER INCREASED BY 1700 USD just to change the finish. This is ridiculous. I don't think I want to buy from a company that charges the price of say, a fantastic subwoofer, just to make their speakers look different.

I personally also don't like the look of the SVS subs.

Everything I listed above is out of budget and the cheaper subs that are available, like SVS PB-2000 or 1000 seem like a compromise - but for the price I'm paying, 5200 USD for pair, I don't expect compromise.

So, what is out there for sale? :)
I m a big fan of Power Sound Audio, Tom was with SVS when they started up. I have a pair of their V1800 from 7 years ago. Tight deep bass. Back then the pair cost me like $3200.

Top Bottom