• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Subwoffer, HP-LP filter, Dayton DSP?

DanielT

Major Contributor
Hello,

Question. How to best integrate a subwoofer with existing full-range speakers and amplifier. More specifically, there are a lot of subwoffers that are active with built-in Low-pass filters. Good so far BUT then I miss High Pass Filter. It thus becomes completely crazy to mix frequencies from the full-range speakers below around 100 Hz with the subwoofer.

Do you have tips and advice on a solution to this? I can also imagine building myself, DIY a subwoffer but then lacking both HP and LP filters. Any simpler active crossover perhaps? Have looked at this:

LD Systems X 223

Can it be something to have? (see attached picture for technical data) What do you think?

Question 2. What do you think about this?

Dayton Audio DSP-LF Low Frequency DSP Controller

Very grateful for tips and advice.:)

Incidentally, I am grateful for all the help I have received so far on this forum regarding my thoughts regarding building a decent sounding hifi system. Very exciting and interesting suggestions and solutions. Glad that there are more experienced people who take the time and give tips and advice.:D

Attachments

• shot_2021-09-23_07-41-12.png
    shot_2021-09-23_07-41-12.png
    313.7 KB · Views: 71

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Might help to provide the details of makes/models of your pre-amp/amp/sub.....

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
At the moment, I do not have a high end (whatever it is) directly. Have bought different speakers and amplifiers to test and evaluate. I have speakers:
Kef Cadenza
JPW P1 (which I will refoam)
A Swedish model of speakers called QLN One (with Vifa drivers).

Amplifiers:
Harman Kardon HK 670
Fostex 600 (is with a friend who will recap it)
NAD 3020 (also currently with the same friend and recap in progress, ... 44 capacitors)
Cyrys Two with PSX.
Luxor 7082 A

Well, I also have an amplifier: the t.amp E-800
Power: 2x 500 W at 4 Ohm, 2x 350 W at 8 Ohm, 1 x 1000W bridged at 8 Ohm (@ 1 kHz, THD <= 0.1%)
I happened to come across it cheaply. Could not help but buy it. :DCan probably fit with one or two subwoofers.

It might be a little silly to buy different speakers and amplifiers instead of just having one solution, but I could not help it. Fun to try out. HiFi should be fun I think.:p In addition, they are all used. I can probably sell them in the future for about what I bought them for.

Spotify (when will Spotify come with the promised lossless?!?), DAC Topping E30; plus CD player (mostly to play older uncompressed recordings with).

That's all the stuff I have ... at the moment.:)

I have a smaller listening room. I listen top Pop, rock, blues, jazz. Preferably a lot of bass.

Last edited:
OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
So I test and compare now. . Hearing differences between the speakers is not that difficult. Also obvious that I have a poorly acoustically treated room so it is actually priority 1. To hear differences between the amplifiers is much more difficult. Also, do not know if I imagine and then this with the same volume at comparisons so it will not be the one with the highest volume that sounds best. When comparing dvd vs cd players. Absolutely impossible for me to hear any difference.

https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/what-is-this-no-golden-ears.26353/

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For a few Krona more, the MiniDSP 2X4 allows more control (through a companion PC) and excellent performance. My limited experience with analog crossovers has not been positive.

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
Thanks for the tip. :)

With a MiniDSP 2X4 does it include functionality to set LP -HP filters, between subwoffer and fullrage speakers?

I'm a complete beginner at MiniDSP. Maybe best to read about its functionality.:)

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, the miniDSP units can set filters, delays, eq, etc. Lots of info at minidsp.com....

Top Bottom