• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SUBS with DSP - how to use timing delay and phase shift 0-360 degrees

aleks

New subs have the option of setting the time delay and setting the 0-360 degree phase. I know the process of optimizing four subs through turning the polarity by 180 and time shifts to get the optimal spatial curve. Does anybody know how to use and verify via measurements with REW the use of phase settings 0-360 degrees?

dasdoing

Major Contributor
normaly it's a delay.
and normaly what actualy needs delay are the mains, not the sub.
but if this is not possible the sub can be aligned a cycle (or so) too late. the easiest way is trail and error imo. start with 0 and observe the FR. once you make it bigger the dip in the crossover should become shallower. once it start to get worse again go down again in smaller steps until you find the best FR.
it can be done with alignment tool in REW, too....but imo the trail and error is easy and effective

GalZohar

If you use a receiver/processor that can add delay (distance setting) then I couldn't find any benefit to using the phase knob/option on the subwoofer over just adjusting the distance setting. If anything, with distance you can both add and reduce the delay compared to the mains, while with the phase setting you are probably just increasing the delay. I'm not sure though if it actually increases delay in the same way a receiver/processor does (that is, equal delay to all frequencies or not).

Top Bottom