• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Subjective opinions only (no objective analysis please)... what do you think of these speakers?

OP
B

Bugal1998

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
that looks very cool. the grill squares bled perfectly into the horn square. the whole thing looks a little "automotive" now, in a good way
Funny you say that! The M2 is just such a captivating performer all around, but their appearance aside from the horn is, in my opinion... 'meh'.

When we decided to do paint instead of veneer, we did it to make them look like the exotic 'sports car' speakers they truly are. I think the ports evoke dual exhaust, the open grill- as you said- evokes a car grill, and the horn and lower baffle brings the exotic curves. So yeah, I ageee, a little automotive. :cool:

I still plan to try covered grills as well and will post them once I get them made.

Slayer

Funny you say that! The M2 is just such a captivating performer all around, but their appearance aside from the horn is, in my opinion... 'meh'.

When we decided to do paint instead of veneer, we did it to make them look like the exotic 'sports car' speakers they truly are. I think the ports evoke dual exhaust, the open grill- as you said- evokes a car grill, and the horn and lower baffle brings the exotic curves. So yeah, I ageee, a little automotive. :cool:

I still plan to try covered grills as well and will post them once I get them made.
Well i think they look ok and probably better in person.
Personally, I would paint the grills with that same blue you used.
Having the black woofer in the background would give more space and definition. :cool:

OP
B

Bugal1998

Forum Donor
Well i think they look ok and probably better in person.
Personally, I would paint the grills with that same blue you used.
Having the black woofer in the background would give more space and definition. :cool:

For sure pictures don't do them justice.

Cool idea to use the blue on the grills... I may try that

Slayer

I garantee painting the grill blue will look cheap
I only have two sets if grills to work with... so a photoshop mockup would probably happen first anyway
Do a mock-up in windows paint. It actually looks even better than i thought it would look.
Just saying after looking at the mock-up even after my crude method with shaky hands on a mini wireless keyboard, I like it.

Paint one and see what you think. Can't hurt to try. Eazy fix if you don't like it.

OP
B

Bugal1998

Forum Donor
Do a mock-up in windows paint. It actually looks even better than i thought it would look.
Just saying after looking at the mock-up even after my crude method with shaky hands on a mini wireless keyboard, I like it.

Paint one and see what you think. Can't hurt to try. Eazy fix if you don't like it.
Care to share your quick mockup? Feel free to PM if it's too crude to post

gnarly

Major Contributor
Wow....i just don't get this "how a speaker looks" stuff.
How nature looks, how ladies look , how art looks....yeah, there i get looks....because it's about pleasing my eyes.

But dang it, we're talking about SOUND, and pleasing the ears.
Who cares how sound looks....

If looks matter, it's plain ole ego interfering with listening...imho...

Adaboy4z

I can see them in a retro Diner with red barstool tops. A large window as people walking by can see them connected to a Jukebox.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
that looks very cool. the grill squares bled perfectly into the horn square. the whole thing looks a little "automotive" now, in a good way
Yes, the rectilinear grill treatment makes the aesthetic much more coherent (I wasn't an admirer of the original aesthetic). A bit bling, but no more than standard Wilson. And cloth grilles are for the unimaginative.

Last edited:
OP
B

Bugal1998

Forum Donor
Wow....i just don't get this "how a speaker looks" stuff.
How nature looks, how ladies look , how art looks....yeah, there i get looks....because it's about pleasing my eyes.

But dang it, we're talking about SOUND, and pleasing the ears.
Who cares how sound looks....

If looks matter, it's plain ole ego interfering with listening...imho...
If looks and sound were mutually exclusive, then I could agree with your point. As it is, they aren't... and I don't.

Value of looks is a whole different debate.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
They look like they'll sound amazing. Probably best for playing the blues.

Veils will be lifted.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
The grilles are hideous.
The color's nice, a priori -- but not for inside a residence.

Just my subjective opinions of course.

OP
B

Bugal1998

Forum Donor
They look like they'll sound amazing. Probably best for playing the blues.

Veils will be lifted.
LOL
The grilles are hideous.
The color's nice, a priori -- but not for inside a residence.

Just my subjective opinions of course.
The grills are definitely the most polarizing choice so far... and not surprising.

Generally agreed on the color in a residence; would never put these in a living room or shared space. They're going into a dedicated room with black brick, dark wood floors, and rgb cove lighting and wall wash lighting to set the mood of a blues club or small music hall. I'm hoping they look right at home in that setting.

Top Bottom