• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!
Status
Not open for further replies.

alinaqvi

Hi

I have a Bluesound Powernode (latest version) and Q Acoustic 3050i speakers (6 ohm, 100 wpc,) and I am pretty happy with the sound and performance. But...when I increase the bass to 4 and treble to 2 on the tone controls it sounds great but after an hour at very high volumes (75% approx of maximum volume) the Powernode goes into protection mode. It doesn't do this on the default tone settings so it's obvious that the amp can't drive the speakers at that heavy bass levels when it's at ear piercingly loud volumes. I only rarely have it this loud (party or our teenagers!) but it's still irritating.

So I was thinking of upgrading to a NAD M10 v2 which has 100 wpc but the price differential is huge and whereas a display is nice and I'm sure the dirac is good, they are nice to haves rather than essentials for me. The Powernode already has 80wpc so I doubt the listening experience will be that different. So I was thinking that perhaps getting a sub woofer would take the pressure off the amp and solve the problem and also add some more depth to the soundstage. But I don't have much space so it would need to be a small one. Any suggestions or advice? And any recommendations. And will a small one actually make any positive difference or just make it sound worse by taking the bass elements away from the floor standers which have two 165mm bass drivers on each speaker?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Ali

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Let's keep it to the one thread please.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom