• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SUB + Stereo System

Georgeadv

Was looking into rel subs and they suggest connecting them through the amp speaker terminals.

Does this mean that certain bass frequencies will be both reproduced by the speakers and sub or will those lower frequencies be exclusively handled by the sub?

Does anything change with other connections?

Thank you!

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's just called a high level/speaker level connection. You might have a low pass filter to adjust on the sub's amp to minimize duplication. Or you can utilize gear that has bass management....

OP
G

Georgeadv

So essentially the sub and speakers will reproduce the same bass frequencies?

It has a low pass filter but they recommend only using it with Avr..

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In looking at a Rel manual they still were mentioning to adjust the low pass filter until it's obviously too high a point....even for the high level connection. Rel I just wouldn't bother with, so much better out there and I'd rather have bass management as well....YMMV.

ta240

Major Contributor
Yes, if you connect the subwoofer to the speaker outputs of your amp your speakers will still try to reproduce the low frequencies. Ideally, you would then adjust the subwoofer to crossover at the level where your speakers fade out on the bass.

If you amp has a subwoofer output with a built in crossover then you can have it split up the sound.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Was looking into rel subs and they suggest connecting them through the amp speaker terminals.

Does this mean that certain bass frequencies will be both reproduced by the speakers and sub or will those lower frequencies be exclusively handled by the sub?

Thank you!
1) this is a very suboptimal way to connect a sub as the overlap in frequencies will make it harder to achieve a flat response , as the speakers and the sub will likely constructively and destructively interfere at some frequencies
2) A lot of 2-channel equipment doesn't support bass management and a HPF for the main channels- this is a problem
3) I'd recommend avoiding Rel subs

Everett T

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Thank you!
What speakers are you looking at, how large is your room, how far will you sit from them, and where are you located?

OP
G

Georgeadv

Thank you guys for your responses.

I have Hegel h190 with Ls50 Metas in 30sqm room howeve, is open on the right side. Speakers are placed on the left.

Why you would not recommend REL?
image.jpeg

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What's to recommend it particularly in the first place? I just consider them underperforming and overpriced myself.

OP
G

Georgeadv

What's to recommend it particularly in the first place? I just consider them underperforming and overpriced myself.
they have good reputation though..

what would you recommend?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Among who? Sub users? Not that I've seen particularly....

Where are you? In the US we have many good choices but I'm guessing you're from elsewhere.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
what would you recommend?
Have you seen my 'subwoofer comparison' spreadsheet?

Seeing how we can compare subwoofers using the CEA2010 protocol, the decision becomes "Not what should I buy?", but "Where are you located?" (which will limit or enable you to choose more options), and "What's your room size in volume?" (which will tell you how much output you need to hit reference level of playback) and "What's your budget?" (the final question).

If you answer those 3, plus look at my spreadsheet, you can easily choose a subwoofer for your needs.

Newman

Major Contributor
Among who? Sub users? Not that I've seen particularly....

Probably among the hifi crowd, who believe that speaker/sub integration is a dark art, that mere mortal sub makers can never master, especially if they have ever made subs for the uncouth AV crowd.... you get the picture.

OP
G

Georgeadv

Have you seen my 'subwoofer comparison' spreadsheet?

Seeing how we can compare subwoofers using the CEA2010 protocol, the decision becomes "Not what should I buy?", but "Where are you located?" (which will limit or enable you to choose more options), and "What's your room size in volume?" (which will tell you how much output you need to hit reference level of playback) and "What's your budget?" (the final question).

If you answer those 3, plus look at my spreadsheet, you can easily choose a subwoofer for your needs.

that's a lot of work put into!! very nice

I live in Europe so I dont have access to the majority from what I can see...

OP
G

Georgeadv

How can I do bass management and pass lower frequencies only to the sub?

Using some a minidsp that has a dac?

Everett T

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
How can I do bass management and pass lower frequencies only to the sub?

Using some a minidsp that has a dac?
With either a device like minidsp or an AVR, as most integrated amps that have bass management aren't very sophisticated. Since you're using speakers that aren't ideal to run full range, the only other option is a sub with bass management. I'd definitely skip REL and put that money towards better performance or equipment.

Top Bottom