• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SUB + Stereo System

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The DefTec subs aren't what I'd normally go for, they don't dig all that low (especially as low as their specs indicate with meaningful output), but does have the high pass filter via the high level connections which as was mentioned isn't offered in many subs. The Hegel would still be providing the power, the sub would only "steal" the signal, as is the case with a sub amp with the high level connections.

OP
G

Georgeadv

If the speakers were connected to the amp then there could be no high pass from the sub back

If the speakers were connected to the sub, hegel would act a pre amp only imo

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If the speakers were connected to the amp then there could be no high pass from the sub back

Call the sub manufacturer and find out.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

The speakers are connected to the high level speaker out terminals on the Prosub 1000, and they're high passed by the sub amp; it doesn't need to go back to the Hegel. Look at a pic of the back of the Prosub 1000 and see it has both inputs and outputs for the high level connections for the speakers....

OP
G

Georgeadv

The speakers are connected to the high level speaker out terminals on the Prosub 1000, and they're high passed by the sub amp; it doesn't need to go back to the Hegel. Look at a pic of the back of the Prosub 1000 and see it has both inputs and outputs for the high level connections for the speakers....
So the hegel would be wasted, correct?

tgray

If the Prosub has a passive crossover builtin, the Hegel amp would deliver power to the crossover in the sub, the low side would feed the sub, and the high side would then feed your speakers. My very first sub 25 years ago (some $80 Radioshack unit) did the same. The Hegel's amplified output will be powering both the sub and the speakers.

As stated earlier, I'd get a nicer sub and run it from the Hegel preamp outs, set the crossover for the sub as best as possible and run the mains full range. It is not the optimal setup, but not much in life is. Optimal will probably involve getting rid of the Hegel, which it sounds like you don't want to do (understandable). If you ever feel the need to upgrade or change the system, having a good sub that can grow with the system makes more sense to me than having to replace everything.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So the hegel would be wasted, correct?

Well, I think Hegel is somewhat a waste to begin with feature-wise. But you still need the integrated amp (or a substitute) to run things and supply juice to the speakers (and sub feeds off that speaker connection in this case).

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So essentially the sub and speakers will reproduce the same bass frequencies?

You don''t want to do that. Somewhere there should be a filter(s) that send the lows to the sub, and the remainder to the mains.

This filter can be inside the sub itself, using a speaker-level connection -- i.e., you connect the L and R speaker wires out from the receiver, to the L & R in of the sub, then connect the L & R out of the sub, to the L & R loudspeakers. The signal is 'high passed' in the sub based on the 'crossover' dial setting on the back of the sub, so only the highs go back out of the wires from the sub, to the mains. The low frequencies 'stay in' the sub and are output from it. This is a very old-fashioned way of doing bass management. And you need to have the right inputs and output terminals available on the sub (not all subs such speaker wire connections anymore).

Or it can be in a receiver which has a 'subwoofer out' and bass management settings accessible from a menu. The receiver will do all the high and low passing.

OP
G

Georgeadv

Well, I think Hegel is somewhat a waste to begin with feature-wise. But you still need the integrated amp (or a substitute) to run things and supply juice to the speakers (and sub feeds off that speaker connection in this case).
Why a waste?

OP
G

Georgeadv

Yes the sub integration is not ideal..
unfortunately that is the case with the majority of stereo amps…
Hegel says the reason for this is the additional circuitry and crossover

I dont know how people with a lot more expensive set ups integrate their subs given this state of affairs

hawk01

Last edited:

hawk01

it can be downright disappointing and ridiculous how 2ch integrateds got stuck in this dilemma of inadequate or lack of proper bass mangement at this ripe time where technology can be had for so cheap! i suppose this all boils down to the market forces still catering to the ole audiophile purists who shun subwoofers for music. then the OEMs just put a preamp sub out and called it a day!

Slayer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
it can be downright disappointing and ridiculous how 2ch integrateds got stuck in this dilemma of inadequate or lack of proper bass mangement at this ripe time where technology can be had for so cheap! i suppose this all boils down to the market forces still catering to the ole audiophile purists who shun subwoofers for music. then the OEMs just put a preamp sub out and called it a day!
That's why the Parasound Halo P5 and P6 preamps are so popular. One of the bets for sun integration. Crossovers for mains and crossovers for subs.
Xlr pre outs for subs and mains, plus the usual RCA pre outs for subs and mains. All can be used at the same time.

GDK

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
i suppose this all boils down to the market forces still catering to the ole audiophile purists who shun subwoofers for music
Perhaps, although both Accuphase and McIntosh (to choose two) offer room correction and crossover systems. So perhaps it’s more about their desire to sell you some more super-expensive boxes.

Top Bottom